1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[WOJ] Silas next Rockets head coach

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by treyk3, Oct 28, 2020.

1. treyk3

treyk3 Member

I posted a few scenarios in the trade thread with Eric going out and less salary coming in. Most involve Daryl doing us a solid because he signed him.

Eric to Philly
    Richardson, Milton and Furkan to Houston

Saves about 2 Million and really fills in the roster minus the elusive big man (Wood!).

or

Eric to Philly
    Richardson and Furkan to Minnesota
    Milton and Culver to Houston

Saves about $9 Million. Gives a ton of room to work around the hard cap if those numbers are accurate. I really appreciate you laying that out.

fckbandwagons and Rudyc281 like this.
  2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I would just focus on watching Indiana's recent defense and seeing if it might work. His entire past production is probably why he won't get a HC job, but that story fits Bzdelik, too.

But I am beginning to wonder if Dan Burke is the guy we wanted, now that Morey just snagged him. :(

D-rock likes this.
  3. treyk3

treyk3 Member

The last time Silas took over the HC duties was on December 12, 2018 (AFAIK) when Rick Carlisle was ejected. Here is that game's highlights for anyone who wants to see what Silas may look like at the helm.

It's so exciting that he's finally getting this shot. There is a sense of unknown with a head coaching hire that we haven't had since this guy named Rudy T was hired. Van Gundy, Adelman, McHale and MDA were all guys who had done this before. I am so happy Silas was the choice.

#303 treyk3, Oct 29, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2020
    GradyMcTracy, D-rock, Fiah and 6 others like this.
  4. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

I feel like this is the right choice. Finally, something positive. Feels like it's been a minute.

D-rock, sammy, zeeshan2 and 4 others like this.
  5. heypartner

lulz, i was just kidding

to further the joke, seeing that we are looking at Pacer's staff, he probably already mentioned Burke to Tilman, and Patitta probably said to dad, "Well, what about his head coach. He's available, right. Shouldn't we go for the shinier object, dad?"​

Anyhoot, I think they surely asked in the interview, and Morey surely said, "I'm currently helping the Rockets with that search, so I can't talk." Morey is a big stickler for never crossing that line. And that could have been a trick question. You have to say I can't say anything. That's Interview 101, stuff. Plus, it gives them all the more reason to hire him faster, if they want him to help with that staff search.

D-rock and Nook like this.
  6. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Honestly, I don't know what Morey says or doesn't say. I don't trust him at all and have no reason to trust him. His leaving clearly wasn't what they tried to sell us and anyone who pays attention to the team knew that from the second it happened, but honestly him taking a new job this quickly, irritates me. He could have waited a year to at least pretend like he wanted time off. He was a lot of fun to have in the FO because he was highly intelligent and incredibly bombastic, but I really, really don't like how he left. He's why I got into learning the cap and why i like to learn the value of players and assets, but now that he's gone I wish him nothing but failures in the NBA if it's not in Houston.

ashleyem likes this.
  7. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I don't think the way he left was the way he intended to end his tenure with this organization. So if we assume that to be true then you really can't fault the guy for going to the Sixers so soon after leaving the Rockets. He needed a job, he still likes what he does because he's good at it and his soon-to-be employer will probably offer him more autonomy than he's ever had, even when Les was here.

D-rock, BMoney, Easy and 1 other person like this.
  8. treyk3

treyk3 Member

That's great, I value the ability to change jobs. Everyone deserves to have autonomy in their career. I hope he is happy with the decision and I hope he enjoys his new life. I can also think he's a lying slippery snake and wish him failures.

ashleyem likes this.
  9. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I definitely missed the posts where you cited examples of him being a lying snake but I'm not going to ask/make you retype it. If that's how you feel that's how you feel. From what Morey's shown us over the 13 years he was with the Rockets he either was honest, foolishly transparent, or had to insert a bit of PR into his statements because there were things beyond his control that led to certain actions being executed.

D-rock likes this.
  10. heypartner

It's an Interview 101 line in the sand to never cross. It's a trick question to measure loyalty as often as it's an actual solicitation of confidential info.

I'm not going to be able to convince you with Morey quotes that he's a man of integrity and loyalty to protect confidentiality, But, he's on record many, many, many times reminding reporters about the rules of tampering.

sorry I made the joke. You honestly believe such a conspiracy theory that Morey is corrupt???

D-rock and Nook like this.
  11. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Slippery Eel is a phrase coined by Danny Ainge.

Morey is shifty. It's part of his persona and why a lot of teams wouldn't deal with him. We are just the ones who got Morey'd this time. He doesn't always show his cards and he is a king of misdirection. Him being a liar isn't necessarily a bad thing in the job he has.

I don't know whether he is helping the 76ers now or not. I don't think Morey is corrupt. I think he's deceptive. It's part of what makes him good at his job. We got the sleight of hand this time.

Even if he is helping the 76ers it wouldn't be because he's corrupt, it would be because he's obsessed with winning. He's egotistical and has been a failure in his mind because he hasn't won a championship. I don't think the Astros were corrupt with what they did, they wanted to win at any cost.

12. heypartner

So are every Player Agent and GM's like Pat Riley. To be a good GM, you better learn the art of the deal.

that doesn't mean he crossed a dangerous line and gave a prospective employer confidential info of his current employer. If you did that to me, I would immediately say, "Why'd you give me that info. If I hire you, what assurance do I have that you wouldn't divulge confidential info about us.?

No way Morey gave the Sixers info. He's already too much in the driver's seat to make one petty mistake.

HP3, D-rock and Scarface like this.
  13. treyk3

treyk3 Member

This is the same guy who retweeted something costing the league hundreds of millions and didn't stand by his statement. He didn't even make a statement. He retweeted something without thinking. He's not as perfect as you're making him out to be.

14. heypartner

Hey, let's be clear. I made a joke. You took it as comment to fuel a conspiracy theory of corruption.

Now I'm making one point and one point only: I doubt Morey would fail an Interview 100 trick question (divulging confidential information) for the sake of helping Doc Rivers (the King of attracting elite assistants) fill out his staff.

i'm not buying your conspiracy theory

HP3, D-rock and CHI like this.
  15. treyk3

treyk3 Member

I don't think it's a conspiracy theory. I simply said I don't know. If he did in fact do it, then he crossed a line. He's prone to make mistakes with saying too much or not thinking as I just illustrated. It's not farfetched to think he'd mention coaches he likes in passing during discussions with a future employer. It's not like I just said Daryl is working with aliens to create the perfect offense. We'll see if the Rockets end up getting assets for Daryl or if he walks on Monday.

Morey has been feeding information to Bill Simmons for a decade. In the past year, Bill Simmons has constantly bad mouthed the Rockets and especially Tilman and the fit between Harden and Westbrook. It's clear that Morey hated Tilman and you can just follow what he says on podcasts to see how he really feels. Morey is a talker.

16. Nook

Nook Member

Daryl Morey isn’t the bad guy in this.

He didn’t want to leave the team he has worked for over the course of 14 years.

He is extremely close to James Harden and some of the guys in the front office.

He left because his boss was unbearable.

There are only about 30 GM jobs in the world. When you get offered a GM job, you take it... which is what happened with the Sixers.

DVauthrin, TMac'n, zeeshan2 and 9 others like this.
  17. treyk3

treyk3 Member

I don't think he's the bad guy. He's just not our guy anymore. I wish him failures. It sucks that we are stuck with Tilman but I'm not going to wish anyone success except the Rockets. I hope every other team goes 0-82.

18. heypartner

all the more reason to test him in an interview regarding info that you don't really need (ie Doc Rivers can fill out his own staff just fine).

as for Simmons. I mean both JVG and MDA praise Morey ... and they worked with him. And there are few ppl in the NBA with proven integrity and not shy to speak his mind, like JVG. And outside of basketball, MDA and his wife are beyond reproach.

I get it. But to think he hurt us on the way out is petty. Like psycho ex-gf petty.

DVauthrin, HP3, D-rock and 2 others like this.
  19. SuperKev

SuperKev Contributing Member

Saying a "proven" assistant is not a gamble is illogical on it's face. You just don't know for sure if he helped or hurt because the level of influence an assistant head coach can apply just isn't knowable.

What we do know is the team saved huge $ via losing MDA and DM then appointing someone already on the payroll to be GM. Those 3 moves alone probably net the team double digit millions per year. Silas having never been a HC is more likely to stick around through some potentially very bad teams and is far less money.

20. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

He was an associate head coach for the Dallas Mavericks. I don't think you land lead coaching assistant jobs by just being a bystander, especially if you are hired by one of the best basketball minds in the league.

I agree, money savings. I am clearly on record on this site criticizing Tilman about this. However, when the D'Antoni hire was made, Stephen Silas was a coach that was given heavy consideration. He's finally getting his chance and although I am sure there is an incentive for Tilman to save money here, I do have faith in the principles that Stephen will bring to this team and I also have faith that he has helped the development of multiple star guards in the league.

I get it, cheap owner that we all hate clouds this hire because realistically he came at a cheap price tag. However, this was an actual hire that I like considering the choices. My heart was wanting Kenny Atkinson, but that wasn't the case. I am fine that we let Mike D go. I'm happy we are transitioning with a younger coach that has an offensive mind and just maybe, he could encourage Westbrook and Harden to move off the ball a little more, just maybe, while still allowing them to play their game.

D-rock likes this.