1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[WOJ] Silas next Rockets head coach

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by treyk3, Oct 28, 2020.

1. YOLO

YOLO Member

It’s pretty funny to see some people get overly excited about a guy supposedly behind Dallas top offense. I mean it’s not like the rockets didn’t have a top offense for years and had a historically offensive rating finish under their belt.

fckbandwagons and HP3 like this.
  2. D-rock

D-rock Member

Offense was the problem in last 2 postseasons for Rockets, teams were more effective doubling Harden and slowing Rockets pace and efficiency.

Last season, playoff defense was superb. Best defense Lakers encountered on their way to a championship.

joshuaao, Rudyc281, saleem and 3 others like this.
  3. YOLO

YOLO Member

the lack of depth was the problem a year ago. the lack of a team that actually fits was the problem this year. it wasn't the offense in itself. The heat were the best defensive team the lakers encountered not the rockets

Rudyc281 and D-rock like this.
  4. D-rock

D-rock Member

Lakers averaged 112 vs Heat and 111 vs. Rockets.

But I agree completely with your conclusion but fact remains, Silas ran the most efficient offense in NBA history last season. Let that sink in.

That is cause for hope that Rockets can add new wrinkles to system to abuse teams when they double team Harden.

But better players is always a good thing.

MDA has been severely hampered last 2 seasons because owner refused to pay for improved talent/depth.

That truth is unequivocal.

#344 D-rock, Oct 29, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2020
    clos4life, Rudyc281, saleem and 2 others like this.
  5. YOLO

YOLO Member

its more efficient because he has more efficient players that are versatile. They are capable of more than just spotting up. The rockets roster is still the same here. while probably losing rivers and uncle jeff. The guys outside of harden are still the same limited players. Silas doesn't fix that. that's why i find it pretty comical to think just bc he's here, people for some reason are expecting some kind of drastic change when this offense has already been one of the top for years to begin with. Its been maximized considering the lack of versatility in talent every year.

now Silas isn't the worst hire, dont get me wrong but I'm not going to be all overly exaggerated just because of the low level state the rockets are currently in. It's convenient for tilman because he's cheap. And because of mda/morey both willingly have decided to leave tilman's dumbass, it gives this false impression of a fresh beginning. Nah, the real issues are still all here

#345 YOLO, Oct 29, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2020
  6. D-rock

D-rock Member

Silas also ran more motion so there are tweaks that can be made to improve the system.

Silas does not fix the personnel issues or ownership frugality but that is still reason to believe that there COULD be improvement.

clos4life, joshuaao, Rudyc281 and 2 others like this.
  7. YOLO

YOLO Member

You gotta remember we hear this every year. motion motion motion. from the board, to players, to personnel. that's just not in the cards here at the end of the day. not with this roster. A defense doesn't react to motion when you're not even a threat. That's the key. The best teams in the league that play with constant motion are littered with guys that are threats at all levels of the game. from catch and shoot, finishing, passing, ball handling, cutting, etc

8. D-rock

D-rock Member

I'm hopeful that this season is different.

Maybe I'm a deluded optimist but we'll just have to wait and see.

9. YOLO

YOLO Member

i try to picture it every year too but these are the constant no's that ain't happening thoughts. Can you imagine PJ tucker running around screens and to catch and shoot immediately? Can you imagine EG doing that? Can you imagine RoCo doing that? ? Me either and so does the defense because that's not in their bag. How do you run motion when the defense gets to shade towards someone else bc they don't care about westbrick shooting? Everyone knows that. Motion only goes so far. especially when you know the glaring weakness/holes of all these players, so many things don't even have to be accounted for. You are able to take away spots on the floor rather than having to be alert at all levels.

I'd love to have the motion offense of the Miami Heat but look at their roster. all 5 guys at all times are capable of doing more than 1 thing well on the floor on offense. That's never been the case here. The closest was 17-18 season with cp3/ariza/moute and we know how great of a team that was. It wasn't the motion of the current heat but there was enough versatility to be a true contender

Rudyc281, saleem and D-rock like this.
  10. D-rock

D-rock Member

Agreed. If Rockets do not improve their roster by adding more motion type players then I will complain just as loudly as you.

But I'm willing to give Stone and Silas benefit of doubt.

Supposedly the Rockets were blown away by Silas "offensive vision" so I'm sure it was more than just the same old same old.

clos4life and Rudyc281 like this.
  11. YOLO

YOLO Member

A key would be being able to have more guys like Uncle Jeff. Another huge loss if he decides to move on. We've seen from day 1 of his arrival what versatility instantly brings. he can handle the ball, finish, pass, and be a threat from the perimeter

I read that blown away by his offensive vision and yet it took this long to actually say oh silas is the next coach. They so happen to wait until the news of Morey going to philly as the president for the news to come out. What a coincidence. gotta try and apply that pinky Band-Aid i guess

Rudyc281 and D-rock like this.
  12. D-rock

D-rock Member

Hell yeah!!!

This is why I advocated so hard for Jeff and other players with similar skill sets:

Ben Simmons
    Aaron Gordon
    Domantas Sabonis
    Spencer Dinwiddie
    Harry Giles
    Theo Pinson
    Jonah Bolden
    Dragan Bender
    Anthony Randolph

Rudyc281 and saleem like this.
  13. D-rock

D-rock Member

14. Nelly

Nelly Contributing Member

I'm more excited about the level of preparedness Silas brings and the fact that he's good at developing young players and communicating with them. MDA lacked attention to detail and was too stubborn to adjust during a playoff series, almost borderline arrogant.

https://www.sbnation.com/2017/11/20...ornets-nba-assistant-coach-how-practices-work

fckbandwagons and Rudyc281 like this.
  15. JW86

JW86 Member

Indeed. And to YOLO we were not very good offensively due to strategy per se. When you hit a lot of threes and get a lot of pps on Harden isos, that makes your offense efficiency rank high but it doesn’t mean you have a great offense. Same goes for Dallas perhaps given Luka and their 3pt shooting. However Silas as quoted is a man of details and he is prepared. MDA just wasn’t. He never adapted. Wist Westbrook our offense turned to **** in the playoffs. We just kept doing what we did before. Silas at least seems to be a coach who will adjust and have our guys ready due to a more varied offense.

16. YOLO

YOLO Member

I mean this still doesn’t really tell me much when the rockets have the roster they have. You can clip quotes for anyone about tons of coaches that praises them.

17. YOLO

YOLO Member

And Silas is gonna do what differently. Turn into a magician apparently

18. JW86

JW86 Member

If you approach it like a child, then don't expect a serious discussion.

saleem likes this.
  19. YOLO

YOLO Member

I mean I’ve discussed it with @D-rock yesterday and made my points. You’re welcome to find valid points to say otherwise

D-rock likes this.
  20. s3ts

s3ts Member

Giving him the benefit of the doubt, but the roster was made for MDA's system and the team will need to commit to changing. Either that or the roster itself will need to evolve.

So we either rely on our other offensive options to grow their game, or we trade them to get someone who can.

TL;DR, we need a GM badly.

D-rock likes this.