1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[WOJ] Silas next Rockets head coach

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by treyk3, Oct 28, 2020.

1. JW86

JW86 Member

Rafer wants in hahaha now that’s gold. Guess he allowed 2k to use his likeliness to boost his profile :p He can teach Harden about bricking floaters and Westbrook about swag. Maybe some street moves for Harden, the Sasha for example

2. D-rock

D-rock Member

Mid range guru?

3. Reeko

Reeko Member

I’m guessing because he worked with guard heavy PHX

GS had looked at him as a assistant HC candidate on 2 different occasions...taking the Knicks job ruined him

HP3 likes this.
  4. OkayAyeReloaded

Supporting Member

McMillan can help with his experience on defense and Silas on offense. Horncek did improve his Suns team the first year, has worked with Tucker and can contribute.

Build a strong team of assistants and then having role players with championship experience who can contribute in the playoffs would help imo.

And yes, get a Center and PF who can defend, rebound, block shots and space the floor if possible.

5. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I agree.

If you think he was discouraged from outside forces to stop taking mid-range jumpers, I think you are mistaken. I'd also say that he was completely sublime in the playoffs this year, and I wouldn't change damn near anything with how he played. He was a savant without an Anthony Davis or any legitimate player acting as a 2nd star.

D-rock likes this.
  6. ksny15

ksny15 Member

I don’t disagree with what you are saying. But I don’t think Harden is inefficient from the mid range ( Not implying you think that either ). I would like to see him go to it more often. I always thought his step back midrange was his most accurate shot. I swear I’ve hardly seen him miss those. The one vs OKC in the playoffs this year was beautiful.

Side note we really need to find a way to get Westbrook off this team and get him some actual help that spaces the floor.

HardenVolumeOne and D-rock like this.
  7. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

8. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

You're right, but the Rockets didn't have as much talent as them. 3 and D made us predictable. Morey may not have been satisfied with Capela, but he let Wood go to the Pistons once the Pelicans felt they didn't need him despite his clear improvement.

Morey was lucky that Rivers didn't want to play for the Suns. He wasn't the genius that people tout him to be. I would give Morey a B. Nevertheless, it doesn't matter. He isn't here and neither is MDA. Tilman needs to make courageous decisions and let the pros do their jobs. Otherwise, it won't make a difference at all.

D-rock likes this.
  9. JW86

JW86 Member

Silas won’t bring in mid-range for those like me who’d love to see it return. Dallas was 3pt heavy as well, so I have faith in the man.

D-rock likes this.
  10. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

He doesn't have the shooters here that he had in Dallas. That's the only concern.

Nook likes this.
  11. Reeko

Reeko Member

I’m sorry, but somebody viewing Silas as the “minority hire” is disgusting

he was a finalist in 2016, he was a finalist in 2020, and got what he put the work in for and deserved

SVG got the Pelicans job after being a disaster in Detroit. Thibs got the Knicks job after being a disaster and freaking fossil coaching like it’s still 2005 down in Minnesota. What more did Silas have to do in order to finally get a chance?

12. treyk3

treyk3 Member

One of the most OVER QUALIFIED assistants who never got a job. I'm so happy to see him get this shot and this team is just a piece or two away from being a real contender. Christian Wood walks through that door? Silas is going to get highly rated very very quickly after this season.

13. ksny15

ksny15 Member

Anyone have any insight on what type of D Dallas ran? I know different players but we obviously are only suited to a switch everything scheme. Just look at our huge improvement after we went back to Jeff’s D. I hope Silas continues that.

Corrosion and D-rock like this.
  14. JW86

JW86 Member

Indeed! Also Clutch seems to be not too thrilled, as he says it’s only a good hire considering Tilman wasn’t going to pay for a JVG. As if Silas is not the best option..

Reeko likes this.
  15. ksny15

ksny15 Member

As much as we would all love Wood. It’s definitely a pipe dream. We have no assets or pieces to do a SNT and he’s going to get significantly more than the MLE. He’s going to want to finally get paid.

D-rock likes this.
  16. Reeko

Reeko Member

I’m just mostly concerned about Westbrook

a guard that flawed and dumb is tough for any coach

How will he handle teams ignoring Russ to go and double Harden? I can’t wait to find out.

HP3 likes this.
  17. treyk3

treyk3 Member

All indications are that he's going to get the MLE. Will Tilman go for the Full NTMLE and face a hard cap? We'll see. The Heat competed for a championship while hard-capped with Goran Dragic and Meyers Leonard getting about $32 million of their cap. They competed by having young guys on rookie deals. We'd have to probably trade Eric for less salary or find another avenue to clear some space to fill out the roster.

I'm not huge on Russ either but that period where he was finally clicking in early 2020 showed me enough to have faith. Health and a year of continuity, I think he's going to surprise us all.

joshuaao, BHannes2BHonest and D-rock like this.
  18. ksny15

ksny15 Member

I stand corrected. I honestly thought he would get more than that. So it really just depends on Tillman opening up his wallet. Lol we know how that works :(

19. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

You mean the guy the Rockets originally had on their summer league team in 2015 and opted not to keep. Between him and Covington, Morey was good at identifying diamonds in the rough, but, ultimately, he and ownership let them develop elsewhere only to try to trade for them back later.

joshuaao, treyk3 and D-rock like this.
  20. Reeko

Reeko Member

Morey clearly thought highly of him

U put in all that work for years, have so many credentials as an assistant, and u still get passed on for retreads? It would’ve been shameful.

pippendagimp, HP3, JW86 and 1 other person like this.