1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Packers @ Texans

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Oct 22, 2020.

1. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Collective record of teams the Texans have lost to is 31-6. That being said, it's the way they are losing that is ridiculous. They are non competitive for the most part and seem to have no clue. The incessant running up the middle on first down. The continual lack of a running back screen. The lack of takeaways. The need to make the Johnson acquisition try to look good by continuing to play him.

2. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Not unless someone is giving up #2 and something else...or a #1.

STR8Thugg likes this.
  3. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Chase Edmonds>David Johnson

4. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Anyone from Division III > David Trash Johnson

Houstunna, Cstyle42 and Fulgore like this.
  5. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Yeah its a mess. For me offensively the atrocious play from the linemen takes the cake. I want to bang on David Johnson all day every day, but I cant because its not like these cows are moving anybody. Not only is the line as a whole not physical, but they are dumb as doorknobs as well. These guys have been playing football for a long time and for whatever reason they cant pick up curl stunts. They dont know what to do with loaded boxes. If these guys are going to be THAT bad - then nothing else really matters. On that Duke play if I remember right the interior linemen were all like 2 yards deep when he got the ball. Soft ass linemen will get you beat - and that applies to the defensive linemen too.

IF you cant tackle, you cant win. Simple as that, I think this is the worst tackling team in franchise history. Insane. Mercilus, McKinney, Cunningham - all those guys better send DJ Reader a really nice christmas gift because it was DJ Reader who made them that money. Its obvious that without a talented nose to occupy blockers that these LBs cant get it done on their own.

Lets go ahead and pull the plug on the Anthony Weaver show too, let Romeo go back to calling defensive plays. Weaver before the season talked a good game about exotic looks and being more aggressive and he's just unfit for the job. He has no timing. Not recognizing tendency in real time and applying corrective actions. He's stuck in the quicksand.

Always look for a positive OK - is it just me or are the special teams a breath of fresh air?? Seems like they keep making plays and aren't adding to the misery at least after all of those years of goofy play.

Watson? Meh. didnt do much to be a catalyst either way. He's just going through the motions it seems. Its disappointing - its the first time ever he's been on a losing team. I think he needs to dig deep, stop cursing during pressers and showing his frustration and just ball. The line sucks - nothing new there. Needs to be a point to get him moving and on the run with some of the passing game. Having him sit in a chaotic pocket is madness.

Houstunna and BigShasta like this.
  6. SuraGotMadHops

It's incredible just how badly and quickly BOB torpedoed this franchise before getting fired, and how irresponsible Cal was for letting it get to this point.

Mortgaging all of these draft picks for an O-Line that cannot run block, pass protect, and commits drive killing penalties. Trading Hopkins and Clowney who both had multiple years left on their contracts for bags of Lays because "I don't like them." Every coordinator he hired has been complete ass.

All of this is on top of him being wholly outmatched, outclassed, and overwhelmed as a head coach.

A playoff competitive roster that probably only needed their head coach replaced, now has been depleted and lacking of talent all over, no draft picks, and no direction.

7. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

I'll believe this when I see it. While I don't believe JJ will be a Texans next year, for them to move him now would absolutely crater what little fan support this organization still has left. This is the result of arrogance, hubris and absolute stupidity of those in charge of this organization and the Texans deserve every bit of scorn and ridicule coming their way.

raining threes likes this.
  8. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

I disagree with the o line takes. They are terrible at picking up blitzes, but aside from that they have been okay since the first 2-3 weeks. The pass blocking has been good enough, and the run blocking, while not great, isn't as terrible as you say it is.

There are advanced stats out there that show "expected rush yards" based on certain plays, blocking, etc. I think some of these stats are BS, but David Johnson consistently ranks among the lowest in league in actual vs. expected rush yards.

He just doesn't run hard. Doesn't break tackles. Doesn't see run lanes, cutbacks, nothing. The playcalling isn't helping him, but if you dig deeper a lot of it is on him. His vision just isn't there.

The o line should be better for sure, but long term I am optimistic about that squad. Mike Devlin has consistently proven that he cannot coach players or develop them. He as is big of a problem as anyone.

I'm with you on Weaver. It's ridiculous. Like I said on another post, it's one thing to be bad, but it's another to be worst in the league, record-setting bad. And the worst part is our LB core all of a sudden looks like they forgot how to play football.

I know Cunningham is not that bad. Maybe Merciless is done, but Cunningham and McKinney (before he got hurt) are just liabilities out there. And we have tape proving they can play well, and have for years. That's the most damning evidence that Weaver is in over his head.

Houstunna and raining threes like this.
  9. Nimo

Nimo Member

10. STR8Thugg

On another note, with the bye week and the trade deadline coming up, I'm sure the trade rumors will be out in full force.

I WILL GO ON RECORD RIGHT NOW SAYING I DONT WANT THIS TEAM TO DO ANYTHING. NOTHING.

WHY? BECAUSE I DONT TRUST JACK EASTERBY TO TAKE MY ****ING CLOTHES TO THE DRY CLEANER, MUCH LESS TO MAKE TRADES THAT COULD INVOLVE JJ WATT AND OTHERS.

His stupid ass would trade JJ for a 3rd, and swap 2nd round picks, with the Packers → and then he would think he just got over on them. Please Cal, do not let Jack get within 10 miles of this roster. We need an actual GM, whether that means we hire an outside FOOTBALL PERSON to come in like they did when Casserly was fired and be in an interim role, or we wait until the offseason, I DO NOT WANT JACK ****ING EASTERBY TRADING PLAYERS AND TALKING ABOUT ADVERSITY AND HOW BLESSED HE IS.

JUST FIRE THAT CLOWN OR REMOVE HIS ROLE AND MAKE HIM CHARACTER COACH. IM DONE WITH HIS BULLSHIT. HE IS JUST AS RESPONSIBLE AS OBRIEN FOR CREATING THIS MESS.

rant over for now/

11. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

12. STR8Thugg

Great. JJ to GB for a conditional 5th round and swap 2nd round picks. 2022 1st to GB.

Easterby is going to keep digging the hole deeper.

13. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Im lumping in Tunsil with the rest of the group because he's guilty by association, but he's obviously the best lineman, and he isnt getting beat as bad as the rest of them.

Look at the interior of the OLine and watch how badly they get beat by a 4 man pass rush. Pressure up the middle is a cardinal sin for most offensive line groupings and here its becoming common. Tytus Howard is regressing on the other side (yeah I know i know he's coming back from injury and all that).

They were the 21st ranked line in the run game, and they are the 4th worst pass blocking group giving up an adjusted sack rate of 8.8% PRIOR to the GB game (will only get worse after the game is graded)!! = https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/nfl/offensive-line/2020

David Johnson was beaten out for playing time by 2 different backs last year ending the year as 3rd string and most thought would be cut prior to the season. He has NOTHING left in the tank. NOTHING. He is only here doing what Ed Reed did and thats cashing checks.

I wish I had your optimism for the OLine, but I have focused alot of attention on that group this year and they suck as a group, and Tunsil cant mitigate the liability by himself.

The entire MLBs benefitted greatly from first Vince Wilfork and then DJ Reader, now that there is nobody there to occupy blockers the MLBs are getting swallowed up.

STR8Thugg likes this.
  14. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

15. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

The record and their track history of personnel moves. Every trade offer to the Texans is going to a total rip off to start. Why would anyone do anything differently?

STR8Thugg likes this.
  16. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

17. STR8Thugg

Yes, I agree with a lot of what you said.

But I think the o line will be better once Devlin is gone. Hyde rushed for 1000 yards on >4ypc with this o line last year. They are playing worse than their talent.

I realize not having a good NT hurts them, but they are still playing below their talent level. They are complete liabilities at this point.

18. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Man it really sucks being on the ass end of the league.

19. STR8Thugg

Which is why if we aren't getting acceptable value in return we shouldn't make trades. I'm tired of the vultures.

The problem is that I DONT TRUST JACK EASTERBY to know what good trade value is.

20. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member