1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Packers @ Texans

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Oct 22, 2020.

1. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Safety. No unit has played worse this season IMO.

Fulgore likes this.
  2. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Texans Offensive Line: "hold my beer"

conquistador#11 likes this.
  3. Major

Major Member

They are used to working with BoB...

4. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Could we get Beckham on the cheap? Think he’s free after this season

5. Buck Turgidson

Yes, other than the defensive front 7, the defensive backfield, the interior OL and the skill positions their roster looks just fine.

TWS1986 likes this.
  6. gucci888

Oh don’t get me wrong it’s all bad. But looking this up, Reid and Murray have given up 39 receptions on 48 targets, only 3 total passes PD, and obviously 0 turnovers. That is freaking awful.

CometsWin, raining threes and TWS1986 like this.
  7. raining threes

Hopefully Heck after a year of getting stronger can play RT and they can move Howard to RG. Fulton moves to C and Scharping can take the LG position. I believe the talent is there and Devlin has the group thinking too much instead of reacting.

8. Nimo

Nimo Member

I think you gotta lump the safety issues with the CB issues. If they had reliable CBs they wouldn't put Aaron Murray out there to try to keep up with Devante Adams. They pretty much moved Lonnie to safety and Murray to CB on quite a few plays. The safeties have been asked to do more than they should. The whole secondary has been trash.

9. raining threes

I would list the needs like this

Cover LB
    Safety
    NT
    CB
    RB
    OG

Out of those 6 needs, I'm hoping they can fill the CB1, NT, cover LB in FA and S,RB,OG in the draft after trading away talent for more picks.

Would you take a chance and pay a guy like Von Miller top dollar?

Good news is with the cap shrinking there will be a large fa class. For once the Texans need to be players in fa.

10. Mr. Space City

11. gucci888

Yup and then you have to wonder whether the lack of pass rush is also putting too much pressure on the secondary. Ultimately it’s a lack of talent across the board.

But with regards to offseason needs from the original post, think I’d put safety up there at the top right now.

raining threes and tmoney1101 like this.
  12. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

And nobody at the helm who seems to know what the hell they’re doing let alone what direction they want to head in. It’s a total shitshow.

13. raining threes

Find a CB and draft a S that can play and the defense will look better. We will have a better understanding where the Texans stand after the trade deadline.

14. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

Or Jack Easterby, who is still there.

All these radio clowns clamoring for trades... Okay, but be careful what you wish for. When we Trade JJ for a conditional 3rd and a 5th round pick, you're going to look back at that and realize you were demanding for Easterby to continue digging the hole deeper and deeper.

You don't sell stocks when they are low, and right now all the players value is lower than it would otherwise be because teams know we are desperate and have no real direction right now.

Either hire an interim GM or stay put until you get someone with actual personnel experience in here. GTFO with the Easterby bullshit.

15. cmlmel77

cmlmel77 Up all Night Watching Houston Sports

Right ... except that the Texans have no cap room even before a shrinking cap. Yes, they can cut some players to create room, but most of the large contracts are relatively new and have a lot of dead money associated with them. They can't afford to be players in FA.

2021 is a write-off year - tank, get some picks, clear some contracts, try not to get Deshaun killed, and look to 2022. And thank God Watson signed his extension and has no choice but to ride it out.

16. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Diving into Deshauns stats over the last 5-6 games they are phenomenal. What else could he do? His OLine has failed him. His run game has failed him. His defense has failed him. Damn shame. He's not going to be near perfect every game- and thats the only way this team has a shot this year.

Mr. Space City likes this.
  17. Major

Major Member

Disagree to some extent here. This Texans team doesn't appear salvagable in the next year or two due to lack of assets. They need to do a mini-version of theAstros teardown. Outside of Watson (who you hope is the QB for the next 10 years), you trade away any veterans of value for picks with an eye on building a new core in 2022/2023. Watt will be gone by then regardless, so if you can get picks for him, just take what you can get at this point. Winning 6 games next year has no more value than winning 2 games (the latter gets you better picks too).

It's not ideal, but its really the only option after the disaster BoB left the franchise in by trading all the talent for garbage and giving away picks. Aging talent + no picks does not equal a bright short term future.

18. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

We'll see. Teams make quick turnarounds all the time. We have the QB, which is the hardest thing to find, so with some tweaks to the roster and competent coaching I think they could make a quicker turnaround than most.

Regarding trades, again, I go back to who would be doing the trading. Easterby. And I don't want him touching the roster anymore. He's done enough. If I hire a contractor to clean and re-shine my wood floors, and he uses the wrong chemical and ruins them, I don't re-hire him to fix the job. Easterby's already proven to be a nightmare with personnel decisions.

Trading Watt for a 4th or 5th round pick, or a conditional 3rd makes absolutely no sense for a number of reasons. IF, and it's a big IF we could get actual trade value then you do it sure, but nobody is going to offer anything of real value. If you get a 1st, you obviously do it. A second? Probably, but I would hope for a 5th thrown in. Anything less than a 2nd round pick is not a reasonable offer, and I don't think anyone will offer higher than a 3rd (if that). If it happens and we execute a good, reasonable, fair trade then I'll eat crow and be happy with improved draft capital. We shouldn't be in the business of helping other teams out - We need fair compensation.

19. raining threes

If they make trades they can create 48 million or more in cap space. That's why they have to trade guys now instead of waiting on a new regime.

Watt/WFV/N.Martin/DJ/Duke should all be on the block and McKinney can be cut. They're stuck with Mercilus/Cunningham's contracts.

20. Major

Major Member

The question is fair compensation or what's best for the team?

Keeping Watt means (1) you pay him, (2) you win some meaningless games which makes all your other draft picks worse, and (3) you end up with nothing.

Trading Watt means (1) clearing cap space next year, (2) potentially improving all your 2021 and 2022 draft picks, and whatever you get in exchange (hopefully a 3rd round pick).

Even if you got nothing at all, I think the future of the Texans is brighter if you trade Watt, sadly.