1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official ALCS] Astros vs. Rays

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 11, 2020.

1. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I mentioned during the game last night... this was a vintage late 90's Astros playoff performance.

We've been spoiled by the current core's success... to my knowledge, they had yet to have a playoff game that resembled anything like last night's over the last 4-5 years, whereas Biggio/Bagwell could basically tell you that they knew this sort of game all-to-well.

2. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

No I would rather Yuli be at first. Believe he is rated top defensive 1st baseman.

It was either 1st or 2nd at bat in Game 1 ALCS. I noticed him lift / flare his head prior to contact. Shoulders will
    follow. As if to try to generate more power by way of head / torso.

Scan the fielders prior to pitch....see the ball to bat....hit it where they ain’t (off memory- not looking) .......there will be time to relocate the ball while coming out of the batters box after the follow through.

Thanks for telling me about the wrist. I did not know. Commentators were saying the Astros are even sending footage
    of Yuli’s at bat back home to family in Cuba to help work out his mechanics. Threw my 2 cents in.

#742 ApacheWarrior, Oct 12, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2020
    raining threes likes this.
  3. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

Are you sure? I always see the pitches available within a few seconds when I view during the game. Maybe I'm looking at a different page; I just go to the Home/Away Pitchers or All Home/Away Pitchers sections and I can see all the calls during the game

4. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

The futility of the Bagwell/Biggio led teams of the late 90's and early 2000's immediately came to mind for last night's performance.

rocketsjudoka likes this.
  5. CinematicFusion

Astros are getting guys on, creating opportunities.
    All you can ask for. Tucker in the second inning laced the ball.... just in the wrong spot.

if our pitchers hold up, I like our chances in this series. We put some good at bats against Snell.

6. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

Performance last night was 90’s esque but would we have actually had 9 hits in a game back in the 90’s? I don’t recall more than 4-5 hits in most games and either 0 or 1 run. Ultimate futility. Last night reminded me of last year’s world series where most things went the Rays way and we just couldn’t capitalize when needed to.

7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

They hit the ball well in the 1999 series... minus the 1 hitter by Milwood in game 2.

Line drive outs to Walt Weiss... blah.

CinematicFusion likes this.
  8. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It was classic Stros...

9. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Speaking of classic Stros I really hope the organization does something to remember Joe Morgan. It would be really cool to see Altuve do something as the current Stros great 2nd baseman.
    [​IMG]

desihooper likes this.
  10. Handles

Handles Member

It was a painful loss. Had the bases loaded twice right? Once with 2 outs and Diaz got out, again with 1 out and Yuli hit into the double play. Then we also had runners on first and second when Tucker hit into that double play (that one was unlucky). We had our chances, just couldn't convert.

On the other hand, our pitchers did a great job which is a good sign considering the inexperience. Just need to put yesterday behind us and bring the bats today.

htwnbandit likes this.
  11. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

12. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

Even if we lose the series, this postseason has been a success for our rookie arms. Holding out hope that Forrest Whitley joins the squad next season.

13. Clutch City1993

Clutch City1993 Bury Me In The H
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Tough loss yesterday but today is a new day. Should be a nice day in SD. Lets get it!

14. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Their body clocks now more used to playing at this time anyways. Last night was their first game under the lights in over 2 weeks.

15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

We have to bench Guriel - the guy is killing this team.

DD

16. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Won't happen. Upside is too high and his glove at first is too valuable.

17. dmoneybangbang

This. The LOB really does suck, but we need to keep giving ourselves opportunities to score.

everyday eddie and King1 like this.
  18. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

19. Victorious

Victorious Member

Need more of this. Someone else make me feel good about game 2 lol

20. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

I dont get why Tuesday and Wednesday's game times have not been released ... they know both games will be happening, make the decision so people can make plans

everyday eddie and King1 like this.