1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

STOCK MARKET: Let's talk stocks and investing

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by SWTsig, Jun 2, 2008.

1. CXbby

CXbby Member

Not quite everywhere.

$RUN.

saitou likes this.
  2. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

3. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Gah! This was on my list to buy, but my list was too long. This market keeps going up even when I've thought things should finally take a breather. Now I'm hearing most people think the market will just run up until year-end. Apple should be ready for its usual "after-announcement sell-off", though. lol.

Meanwhile, Disney just announced this :

Disney says its ‘primary focus’ for entertainment is streaming — announces a major reorg
    https://www.cnbc.com/2020/10/12/disney-reorganizes-to-focus-on-streaming-direct-to-consumer.html

saitou likes this.
  4. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Damn...espn must be draining money like the Exxon Valdez. Like HBO, they trying to cut off the cable middlemen pronto

5. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

this seems like a very big deal, extending identity management solutions like okta and ping beyond on-prem apps to cover saas and other outside apps. Instead of being a competing product, it's complementary tying all the different security and identity management services together, including crowdstrike. Now I'm thinking if I should add to my position, but I don't have the expertise to properly evaluate the impact. Is cloudflare one going to be an essential service for every mnc and government agency?

6. adoo

adoo Member

#11726 adoo, Oct 12, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2020
    CXbby likes this.
  7. adoo

adoo Member

constructed this bearish CALL spread on NFLX

• 11-13-2020 expiration
      • bto 550 CALL, sto 545 CALL for a net credit of $2.25, defining my max risk of $2.75
      • should NFLX close below 545 at expiration, i get to keep all the $2.25 premium collected in advance

8. Rodman23

Rodman23 .GIF

Damn you might be right about sunrun

9. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

anyone got annuities here?

10. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

11. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

An Ultra-Secret Battery Startup Hints That It’s Blown Past Tesla — But Won’t Show the Goods

https://marker.medium.com/an-ultra-...t-tesla-but-won-t-show-the-goods-2ed31173610d

Very nice article on Quantumscape/KCAC. I've been trying to read up more to decide if I should just hold this long term instead of just trading. TLDR:
    + $300mil from VW alone
    + Bill Gates
    + Huge funding rounds allowed accumulation of top battery talent. They've been going at it for 10 years, 200+ patents. Claim that science has been solved, now it's manufacturing/scaling/execution risk.
    + Actual product delivery to VW in 2025. if this is a house of cards it won't be crumbling so soon, plenty of time for hype events till then (battery day, analyst day, tech demos etc).
    - performance claims unverified. haven't shared test data.
    - industry is wary of past cases of fraud battery companies that were secretive

Leaning towards holding.

12. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

13. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

For those who have 401k, how's your annual return thus far? I've heard varying reports of folks I know being down double digits to being up double digits. Just wondering if this was actual reality or somewhere in between.

14. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Yeah, that's true to an extent. Eli Lilly just announced a pause in their trial, too. From what I've read and just heard, this is somewhat common, but everytime I hear it, it's a bit disheartening. I'd rather have a properly-functioning society than a bit more profit.

#11734 Dr of Dunk, Oct 13, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2020
    saitou likes this.
  15. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

When I quit my job back in February, I merged my 401k into an IRA, so I'm not sure what I would've made on it, but I was only in 3 funds and no stocks. The funds weren't aggressive, though. I held on through the downturn. I had a co-worker who sold everything in January when he started hearing about the virus running around. I don't know if/when he got back in, but he timed the sell damn-near perfectly.

I can see how people would be up or down differently considering all the options 401k plans/companies tend to give people nowadays. If you were in oil, financials, bonds, treasuries, etc, you're probably still getting screwed. The other thing I saw was people selling everything, but like I always say, it's great to sell, but then when are you going to get back in? Many were too scared to get back in for months, if ever, so they may have missed a bunch of the run back up because it was so fast. In many of those cases, they may have locked in a lot of loss and never recouped it because they sat in cash.

Mr. Brightside likes this.
  16. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

17. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I would guess the difference is tech?

18. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

There are only like 2 or 3 sectors that are really down this year : energy and financials. You can throw real estate into that depending upon how you classify "real estate". Every other sector I can think of is either flat, up, or up big.

Ziggy likes this.
  19. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I just noticed this post. I first heard about this company about a month ago on a CNBC report. I wrote the stock down, but wanted to do more research, and of course, never did. I'm going to keep an eye on it, but it's slowly been tanking since its announcement.

saitou likes this.
  20. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

I would say that the most typical fund used for retirement IRA's in the Vanguard Target date fund. As an example, the Vanguard Target Retirement 2040 Fund (VFORX) has 2.40% Year-to-date and 9.96% for previous 1-year.

Mr. Brightside likes this.