1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Francis: Sell high

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Will, Apr 9, 2004.

1. MFW2310

MFW2310 Contributing Member

Hey Juugie, why don't you just twist everything in your favor? Hey, Yao averages XXX PPM but YOU are so sure that he won't get better performance with more shots, even at the assumed MUCH lower %. Yet YOU are so sure that he DEFINITELY will average the same number of SPM if he plays more minutes.

By your own definition, Yao DOES average more PPM than LeBron. A lot more actually. By YOUR OWN DEFINITION that is a FACT, not a PROJECTION. Therefore, BY YOUR OWN DEFINITION Yao will FOR SURE average more PPG than LeBron given the same # of shots. My hypothetical isn't any less valid than your hypothetical.

But hey, why bother checking Yao's lesser mins, few FTs and MUCH fewer shots when you can just plain assume he won't get better stats with more shots.

You know what Juugie, I think through your own rambling you forgot what your initial argument was. Remember 3 pages back you made the assumption that Yao won't get better and age doesn't make a difference? So why should it matter if LeBron is younger, once again by your own definition.

Oh yeah, one more thing. I can't believe I forgot this. What's the most important stat of all in the regular season? Wins. Last time I checked LeBron's team is lottery.

2. Juugie

Juugie Member

I listen to everything people have to say, and I have on more than one occasion admitted I was wrong when someone showed me facts to the facts to the contrary.

And show me ONE example of me "sticking my fingers in my ear and screaming la la la."

People post points and I respond. That's what a debate is.

And don't be jealous of my life. If you don't like your life, get off your ass and make one for yourself.

And people don't have to listen to me or anyone else at all.

Why don't you just go to one of the Yao worship sites and that way, you would never have to read anything critical of him again.

Also, I've never once had you refute any points I've made. You just attack me personally. I NEVER attack anyone. Never call them names. The only time I ever came close, I apologized TO YOU. Now look back and see how many times I've been called names or attacked and see who is acting like a child.

I keep my comments about the the team and the players. Others, like yourself post about users on the board.

Also, considering you haven't mentioned and Psychology degrees that you have, I think it's incorrect to assume that you can do an assessment of someone over the Internet. You don't know me. I don't know you. I would never be bold enough to think that I "know all about you."

3. tierre_brown

tierre_brown Contributing Member

Just thought I'd throw this in here:

Any possibility that we'd leave Francis unprotected in the expansion draft? His max contract would be a deterrant to the Bobcats picking him up...of course, this only works if we have more than 8 ppl we want to protect...I know it sounds stupid, but is there a possibility of him being left unprotected?

4. MFW2310

Um no. I'd rather get something back.

5. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

LoL Juugie, I wasnt the guy who put my business on the Internet trying to get people to look at me with awe or jealousy. I have my own life and I like it, it doesnt really bother me if someone else has a problem with it, my parents gave me enough attention when I was a kid. There you go again with the whole Yao loving thing. You know, not everyone loves SF and hates Yao automatically or Loves Yao and hates SF automtacically. Unlike you, I like both players. You on the other hand dislike Yao and I'm still not sure if you really do like SF as much as you claim. That's your problem you know, anyone who makes a criticism of SF has to be automatically a YOF, like I said before this is so last year. My feeling is you use SF as a platform to bash Yao, maybe I'm wrong but your posts certainly give off that feeling. You do respond in your posts, with the same thing over and over and over again. Of course I attack you personally, its fun that way. I dont know why you allow me to get under your skin so much, why should my opinion matter to you? Besides I know all about you, you work in a nice city and live in a nice luxury apartment (I am brimming with jealousy right now!). Just put me on ignore, I have no problem with that. :D

6. Juugie

Juugie Member

You are correct. Yao DOES average more PPM than LeBron. But when you start changing any of the data, you are making projections. I said Yao won't get faster. I never said he won't get better. What I said was I don't think he will ever be the kind of player to carry a team to a ring - like Dream.

Also, DavidS said that one of Yao's major points over Steve is that Yao is younger and time is on his side.

I simply added that the age difference between LeBron and Yao is greater than the one between Yao and Steve. So time is definitely on LeBron's side and not Yao's.

Also, you're right about wins. But I offer two points. Yao's team was also in the lotter after his rookie year.

Two, the last two years, the Cavs were 17-65 and 29-53. At worst, they will finish with 34 wins this year. So LeBron has added 17 wins over last year and at least 5 wins over the team two years ago.

The Rockets were consistently a 45 win team except for when Steve was hurt. They won 43 games last year. And even if they win in Dallas, the net result since Yao has been a Rocket is a wash at best.

You may enjoy his style of play or him personally, but if you look at the most important stat, like you said, wins and losses, Yao has had little impact.

7. MFW2310

You know Juugie, dodging the question won't work with me. Why is it that although you assume Yao won't keep on his PPM given more PT but you assume he will keep up his SPM? Boggles the mind.

8. Juugie

Juugie Member

I wasn't even talking to you, I was talking to user. And I wasn't "trying to make anyone jealous." If you are it's your own problem. (You sure bring it up enough. You've mentioned it in just about every thread you posted so it must be a big deal to you)

You mention that I don't know how to debate then say "Of course I attack you personally, its fun that way." So who's debating like a child?

And, hotballa, you're not under my skin. I don't even know you.

9. hotballa

MFW,

You ever get the feeling that Juugie is sitting there with his fingers in his ear screaming "lalalala"? Now you know why I gave up arguing with him a long time ago

10. Nomar

Nomar Member

You have trouble with that logic thing, huh.

I never said his positives didn't outweigh his negatives. If they didn't, he'd be a bad player. I don't think he's bad, I think he's good.

What I did contend however, was that you were defending his faults, which you claimed you weren't doing. Simple as that.

11. hotballa

hehe Juugie, I dont know what to say except thank you for that quote. Never in any threa on this board have I seen someone post stuff like its their AOL profile. memo to Juugie, not that many single chicks roam these boards (from my assumption). Classic stuff, like I said, why no mention of the sports car or hot chick? Might as well put it all in at once

12. Juugie

Juugie Member

That's just it, MFW.

I don't assume anything.

You are making assumptions.

I have told you a million times now. .38 is what is SPM is. If he takes 100 shots the next game, that will change. But right now, that's what it is. That's not an assumption. That's a fact.

Now if you want to know what I THINK, I'll offer you my hypotheses...

I think Yao will improve. I think he will be a valuable piece to the puzzle of a championship team. I don't think he can be the main piece.

He will give you low post scoring, decent rebounding and shot blocking.

You will also need a dominant player to be the leader of your team.

it's not that Yao doesn't have the size or skill. I've heard the best players say that the thing that separates people at the top level is not physical. It's mental. The player that refuses to lose the longest wins. The player that outlasts his opponents - that comes after them relentlessly and absolutely refuses to lose. No matter how tired they may be physically. Remember in the finals when Jordan was so sick he could hardly walk, yet he went out and led his team to a win against the Jazz in Utah? Yao is tired, so he shrinks away. You can't have that. You push him enough, he gives in. There are some people in this world that no matter what, they are not going to let you beat them. Period. Not at anything. It's an innate thing - type A personality. Yao is definitely a type B personality. He will go out and try hard, but he's not going to impose his will on the game. He just doesn't have that kind of make up. To win a ring, you have to have that kind of player. A championship level big man eventually gets to the point that it doesn't matter what kind of way you play him - whether you foul him every single time down, he is going to find a way to put his stamp on the game. Whether the refs call it or not. You push him, he's going to push back. And no, you're not going to push me out of position. I'm going to show you and everyone else, that I can get this spot anytime I choose and that you absolutely, positively cannot guard me.

I ask you a question, can you honestly say that Yao has that type of personality?

And no, before you make a comment, I don't think Steve is that player that can lead a team to a ring.

That's the main problem that I have with Yao. I have not seen him compete every night. He's a nice guy with great skills, but it infuriates me to see him not compete.

As much as it drives some of you crazy to see Steve dribble the ball off his foot or take a bad shot, it drives me just as crazy to see some scrub out will Yao and take him out of his game.

13. MFW2310

You know Juugie, after your post I started doing a quantitative study of Yao's shot patterns. Since the all - star break, he's been averaging ~6 shots in the 1st quarter. Yet the guy averages just under 13.5 shots per game. I will extend this stat to the whole season before I post my results.

However, it occurs to me that the guy is NOT maintaining his SPM with added minutes. If anything it appears to me that he shoots ~7.5 shots for the next 3 quarters. If anything, it appears to me that my projection is far more valid than your projection.

14. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

No problem...It just caught me off guard, because I didn't think my post was that controversial, and I didn't expect it from you. Your post wasn't bad at all(I probably should have been more clear)...just caught me off guard.

BTW, stay! Steve needs some support in the GARM!

15. Rock101

Rock101 Member

Go out and buy your freaking playoff tickets.....its sad that the games are not sold-out yet!!!! C'mon Rocket fan!!!

16. aznsowass

aznsowass Member

francis will put behind this season and will lead us to da promise land and that is our of first round

17. Socrates

Socrates Member

If we're gonna sell high, we need to get on the phones now while this game from Francis is fresh on everyone's mind.

Bet you anything that Francis will be horrible the next game,(ie. bad shooting, turnovers, over dribbling)

18. uac

uac Contributing Member

you should be banned, killed, raped....get out here before I shoot you.

19. Tigerknee

Tigerknee Contributing Member

Don'r forget stabbed, molested and thrown out of an 18 story window.

20. Socrates

Socrates Member

Why is everyone so upset?

We need to have Francis play another good game or two to increase his trade value. Trust me, if we have a chance to get close to fair value on him and don't, we will be very sorry next year.