1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Francis: Sell high

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Will, Apr 9, 2004.

1. Xenogears

Xenogears Member

Rockets didn't need francis today to beat a team they haven't beaten all season.

2. MFW2310

MFW2310 Contributing Member

So Juugie, you think Yao won't score more points with more shots but you think Yao will maintain his SPM if he gets more mins. That is the biggest load of bullcrap I've heard from you in the last 2 hrs. When saying that if Yao plays 40 MPG he'll average more shots than Steve, you are really saying he'll "HYPOTHETICALLY" (your word not mine) average more shots.

When I did the PPG analysis I also assumed that Yao would shoot a much lower %, at LeBron's 41.1% actually, yet he would still get more points. Know what's funny though Juugie? This year Yao is averaging more points on more shots on a much higher %. So "HYPOTHETICALLY" he's proving you wrong.

I find you amusing really. You claim that the only defence for Yao's sucking is by saying Steve sucks more, yet it is you and amed that started saying Yao sucks in a Steve thread. To summarize, you brought in everyone from Amare to LeBron to Randolph, etc to prove Yao sucks in a Steve thread. You will excuse me if I find the irony in that.

3. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

Wrong side of the GARM at the least...;)
    Reading over my rantings...I was unnecessarily harsh towards you...and it as undeserved...my apologies.
    :sheepish:

I really just need to stay out of GARM when I dont have media to share. It just boils my blood.

4. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

Oh come on Nomar. I thought you would understand the idea of what I was implying.

Defending Yao's "faults" meant that I would deny that they exist. I never did that. One, I was implying that his positives more than compensate his negatives given his youth and ability to learn. Contrary to SF. Two, they don't have as much an negative impact on the team as Francis's faults. Three, I felt that they could be overcome with time. Something that Francis is running out of.

But just to make you happy (not!) I'll play along...

Yao's faults:

1) Worst Hands (Yes, he does have trouble holding on to passes. Absolutely!).
    2) Rebounding (Yes, he's not very good at getting position for rebounds. He has to be near the ball; can't "go get it.").

I'll add my own list...

3) He's not very good at BLOCKING OUT! He doesn't put a body on his defender. He faces his defender, not watching the ball for rebound. Or he gets pushed under the basket.
    4) Sometimes, he does try to block-out he ends up on his butt, because the defender pulls a "chair" from under him. He's "top heavy! (Duh!)" Looses his balance easily.
    5) Explosiveness. He has very little. His BIG legs seem to be hurting him as much as they are helping him.
    6) Tenaciousness. Where is it? Sometimes he's "mean." But not always.
    7) Has more trouble with the faster 6'8" defenders compared to the bigger 7'0" defenders.
    8) His sheer size makes him tired easily; endurance?. Seeing him huff and puff is evidence of that!

As far as your "mental" definition. When I said "cerebral," was using that term in relation to "skills" learned over time like fundamentals as opposed to just physical part. But I understand where you were coming from, mental = emotions; aggressiveness, meanness. Those of which I addressed above.

Even with the list above. He's still a very good player and has tons of potential. HE'S GOING TO GET BETTER!

Now, you don't want me to list Francis's faults. Because they outweigh the positives. Yao is a better overall basketball player in his 2nd year than Francis is in his 5th year. And Yao WILL IMPROVE! Francis has not shown me any sign of improvement. He's still the sloppy guard that he was in his rookie season.

Some of you wont understand this until SF is gone and we bring in better talent around Yao. That will be the best proof.

#284 DavidS, Apr 13, 2004
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2004
  5. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

Ahh Juugie, up to your old routine again eh? You know, aren't you the same guy who said in another thread that you believed Yao would be a great player and that you wish he does very well for the sake of the Rox? Yet on this thread, you make it clear you dont want him on the team and that he probably wont be better than Rik SMits. Make up your mind and stop being a Juugie Only Fan. You've gotten the attention you so desparately crave, now how about letting amed hog the spotlight for a while? I'm sure he dislikes Yao as much as you do

6. hotballa

DavidS,

Actually Juugie isn't bashing Yao to bring SF3's value up. He's bringing up SF3's value to bash Yao. You see how it goes? He just wants attention, and the best way to go about it is to say Yao is a useless player necause it will get the Yao Fans in an uproar and it will also get Rox fans pissed because while Yao has his faults, he aint useless, thereby Juugie gets flooded with a bunch of arguments against his opinion. He's not a SF fan, hes a Juugie Only Fan. His favorite thing in the world is to see this:

7. Juugie

Juugie Member

hotballa,

Trust me, I don't need attention from any internet forum. Look how many people have 10 times the number of posts I do.

In fact, it's you who needs attention. You never have any point about the players or stats to prove them.

8. Juugie

Juugie Member

DavidS,

You are about the only person on this board that admits that Yao has a single fault that SF didn't create.

And you actually have a reaslistic view of things.

We disagree on how far Yao will develop, but that's part of the beauty of sports - to see how things turn out.

9. Juugie

Juugie Member

If I talk about what I THINK might happen, I am dealing with a hypothetical.

If I talk about what IS happening or what HAS happened I'm talking about fact.

So any time you say if something were to happen - that is a hypothetical because it has not happened and there is no way to know what actually will happen. Use logic, Dude.

No matter how small the possibility is, it is statistically possible for Yao to miss every extra shot he takes ad infinitum. It is possible that he makes every extra shot he makes. So it is impossible to acurately determine what will happen so any conjecture - remember that term from legal procedings? - you may have is based on your own interpretation of the data and your own hypothesis of what is likely to happen. Therby making it a hypothetical.

Got it?

10. hotballa

Oh I make my views and points known. They're in other threads. I choose not to make any points to you because you simply don't listen. You're a child who gets into an debate and then sticks your fingers in your ears and screams "la la la" while the other person tries to debate with you. I don't really care for your opinion because quite frankly I think I'm pretty correct on my assessment of you. You look for external validation from people on an Internet forum and is argumentive to a fault because it requires people to pay attention to you. In your little "Playoff Proposal" thread, when noone answered your post in 3 hous, you got miffed! LOL How ridiculous, just because noone paid attention to you for that period of 3 hours! Why don't you call up your hot girlfriend and go for a spin in your Ferrari when you feeling attention starved and giving the rest of us a break from your squawking once in a while? BTW, DavidS aint a moron, dont feed him those lines, he'll see right through them just like everyone else here. Unlike you, he doesnt get off on what people from an Internet forum think about him, so stop the divide and conquer act.

11. Nomar

Nomar Member

Once again...

By saying that his positives outweigh his negatives, you are in fact defending his faults. I.E. down playing their importance.

There is more than one way to defend someone's faults, denying them completely is just one of those ways.

12. hotballa

I find your statement a little misguiding. If I say that Shaq's FT sucks but the rest of his game is awesome does it mean that I am downplaying the importance of free throws? I dont think the guy's intention was to defend Yao's faults, he just wanted to show his positives thats all.

13. MFW2310

MFW2310 Contributing Member

You mean if I project on Yao's PPG based on his performance it's hypothetical but if you project his number of shots per game based on his SPM it's not hypothetical. Yeah I got it long ago... sadly. :rolleyes:

You see Juugie, it works both ways.

Like I said, Juugie, this year, "hypothetically," Yao is proving you wrong.

#293 MFW2310, Apr 13, 2004
  14. RocketGuy3

RocketGuy3 Member

I ask again: Can you tell me with a straight face that you honestly believe the Rockets would have won more games this year without Francis or Mobley in the lineup???

Yesterday's game was little more than a blip. But if you want to argue about what changed in the game, then you could just as easily say our defense is in shambles without Francis or Mobley... Using your logic.

Haven't you learned yet? It's best to just ignore Yetti if you're not a YOF. Although I'm getting tired of doing that myself.

Can't somebody tell me why in the hell Yetti hasn't been banned yet???

15. hotballa

Guys can we serisouly not turn everything into SF versus Yao? These are two stars who the Rox should be building around, so lets stop it with the SF or Yao bashing. This thread started with good intentions but its turned into another run of the mill SF sux cuz of Yao versus Yao sux cuz of SF threads.

16. DavidS

Open you eyes man! You have to look at the whole picture!

If you don't believe that his positives outweigh his negatives, then you are just in denial!
    I mean, wake up! The negatives are important. That's true. But not when the positives have such a dramatic effect on the team. What don't you get about this? Like I said many times before. Look at it in context to his age, current skill set, ability to learn, weigh the positives and the negatives, and then look towards the future.

If Yao was in his 5th year and hadn't improved. Then you'd might have a point. But he IMPROOOOOVEEESSS!!!! HELLO!!! EARTH TO NOMAR!

#296 DavidS, Apr 13, 2004
  17. DavidS

Well...
    You're only looking at half the issue. This is a team game. Francis is holding this team back. AT least I have evidence that he DOES NOT IMPROVE.

Yao has time on his side. AND he's already shown that he can improve.

Why is this sooo important? Because a center needs a player to get him the ball. If our PG can't do that in an efficient manner, then someone else should do it. Also, running the team is factor in how well the offense flows. The PG is the conductor out there. Once this weakness taken care of, then the whole team benefits. Not just Yao.

#297 DavidS, Apr 13, 2004
  18. hotballa

Thank you DavidS, for seeing through his divide and conquer act. Although I disagree with you on SF, I dont think he's holding the team back as a player, I think he's just playing out of position.

19. DavidS

Some people are 100% against putting him at SG. But I'm willing to give that a chance.
    At least try it before we trade him.

20. Juugie

Juugie Member

One last time, MFW

Yao DOES take .38 shots per minute. That is not a projection. It's a statistical fact.

If you take the amount of shots he DOES take per game and divide that by the number of minutes he does play you get the number of shots he DOES take per minute. No projections.

And Yao isn't proving me wrong because I am only stating what he IS.

He IS averaging 17 and 9. Period. That's not even debatable.
    I talk about his stats.
    He IS averaging fewer ppg at 23 in his second year than LeBron is at 19 in his rookie campaign.

You started talking about what IF'S

I'm only pointing out what he IS doing.