1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Playoffs: Astros @ Twins

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Sep 29, 2020.

1. dannah

dannah Member

Cause all the other teams were cheating too

2. dannah

dannah Member

ESPN has a story about why the RedSox should bring back Cora...

So they want a cheater back ? Hypocrites.

3. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

I think I would too. Dude's got some cajones. Injury history aside I'd open up the bank for him.

4. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

"Yeah, but but but... Cora was suspended for what he did with the Astros! Never mind that the Red Sox were caught cheating with him as the manager too! You can look it up!"

--Buster Olney

TWS1986 and everyday eddie like this.
  5. STR8Thugg

hieuytran and dannah like this.
  6. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

this team aint world beaters but they are still as fun to watch as the 2017 club

7. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

https://www.thescore.com/mlb/news/1967651

Former Astros catcher Evan Gattis appeared to send a message to Fiers on Friday. Gattis tweeted out an image of a glass he bought with Fiers' face on it and the words "snitches get stitches" underneath.

jiggyfly, mikol13, cmoak1982 and 5 others like this.
  8. STR8Thugg

<3

My favorite part of the article: "Fiers had a 6.23 ERA during eight starts with Gattis as his catcher in 2017."

phasors28 and desihooper like this.
  9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

This current core has also hit some good pitchers in the playoffs. And Berkman also hit some good pitchers in the playoffs. Biggio/Bagwell also fared poorly against some non-elite pitchers as well (Hitchcock, Ashby, Millwood, Suppan, Marquis)... and that entire 1998 team was susceptible to striking out against power pitchers.

Over a large sample size, these numbers all even out... and the current core has had the luxury of being in the playoffs almost every year... but guys who excel on the big stage of the playoffs deserve some praise.

10. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

This is exactly how i feel this morning.

[​IMG]

banzai, awc713, bloodwings19 and 7 others like this.
  11. dannah

dannah Member

Hadn't seen this. I like Gattis a lot more now.

12. Bear_Bryant

Bear_Bryant Member

I heard Olney say this on the radio right before game 1 and I almost had a car wreck with how angry I was.

RayRay10 likes this.
  13. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Lets face it this is why the league didn't take the trophy from the Stros. They know that all the other teams are cheating in one way or the other and since Jomboy and other Yankee fans were up in an uproar over the Stros beating them twice they needed to at least address the cheating.

The Stros not having the following of teams like the Red Sox and earning the ire of the Yankees loyalty was the easy target to single out. Taking the trophy away though would be too far as likely at that point a lot of the evidence of the other clubs comes out.

14. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I saw that...incredible.

RayRay10 and conquistador#11 like this.
  15. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

My favorite line from yesterday's booth, "the Astros entered the postseason with a losing record of 29-31, with this sweep, they sit at 31-31 on the season." That was ravech and all the salt.

Then there's this exchange buster got into. What a crock. Just follow those tweets.

#1495 donkeypunch, Oct 1, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2020
    RayRay10, BigM, hieuytran and 2 others like this.
  16. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Can somebody ask Olney to write another story about how it's Luhnow's fault that __________ is happening?

Probably the worst possible piece of journalism ever was how he blamed Luhnow for the strife between the players union and the owners during Covid negotiations. At that point, he became literally trash at what he does. He does not deserve to be paid for what he does.

17. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

It's Buster Olney. Even from a casual baseball fan like myself I always knew he was an assclown from the crap he puts out for ESPN over the years.

18. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Its just baffling. Are there really Buster Olney followers/fans out there that would protest if ESPN got rid of him? With longevity, I can't imagine his salary is insignificant... and yet he produces very little content that is deemed vital. Could possibly have an intern or low-level staffer be able to give the sort of information he's putting out, either during games or via print.

He's also not some Uber-connected insider like a Woj who is going to break every single piece before anybody else. In fact most of his conjectures on potential signings/trades have been wrong. I'd believe half paralyzed Peter Gammons at this point over Olney.

steddinotayto and RayRay10 like this.
  19. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Or they were just not clutch.

Just saying.

20. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

An interesting argument on MN Sports Talk. Buxton shouldn't have been allowed into the game if he had been held out from starting for medical reasons. I myself wondered about that yesterday in terms of benefitting the Stros but one of the hosts are arguing that Buxton should've have been allowed as that would've benefited the Twins.

RayRay10 likes this.