1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    GAME 7 ORLANDO vs CLEVELAND. Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Zach Lowe on Harden's Playoff Reputation

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Furious Jam, Sep 4, 2020.

1. topfive

topfive CF OG

That was my first impression too when I saw the video. I wonder if that's simply due to filling out as he got older, or if it's bulking up from whatever weight routine he does. I'd love to see him work on regaining some of that quickness during the off-season.

fchowd0311 and Chamillionaire like this.
  2. Nook

Nook Member

Zach Lowe always puts time and effort into his work, but the issue I have with him is that he comes up with a premise and then looks for numbers to support it, rather than just looking at numbers and learning new things.

Zach was actually more diplomatic in someways in this article. He made it clear that he doesn't think Harden is not wired to do well at the end of games, but essentially makes more decisions. Having said that it is still a biased piece, and at least he didn't do what so many others do "Harden sucks because I say so".

I remember years ago (5-6) Harden had difficulty in the last 2-3 minutes of regular season games that were close. He changed that, and there have been periods where he is locked in and will dominate 4th quarters. Perhaps the play in OKC will help him break through.

I think we can all agree that for the Rockets to win the title, Harden has to be nasty at the end of games.... the Rockets have very obvious flaws so the margin for error is small. Giannis is going through the same thing in Milwaukee, he is being expected to score late in games AND make stops.... when the game gets tight, and the attention on players gets hotter, it is hard to play as well.

It also isn't entirely fair to players like Harden, Giannis and others because we are holding them to the standards of someone like Michael Jordan.... I have seen LeBron James make terrible plays at the end of huge games. LeBron had multiple turnovers at the end of game 7 against the Spurs, he was terrible until Ray Allen bailed him out......... I have seen Magic Johnson travel and throw the ball away.... have seen Bird not get open and McHale bail them out.

3. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

IMO, it's unfair to say he starts with a premise and than tries to fit arguments around that. I think his views generally derive from a best effort attempt on his part to synthesize what he sees, what experts that he respects think, and what the numbers say.

jiggyfly likes this.
  4. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Sure but the issue is that James has proven quite a few times that he doesn't WANT the ball in his hands at the end of big playoff games. I'm getting pretty burned out on seeing his effort and intensity drop to 50% when it should be 100% in crucial playoff games. He totally bailed himself out with one huge block against OKC and let's not pretend as much as we all love James that he hasn't historically disappeared in certain crucial playoff moments in his Rockets playoff career.

The media gives him too much **** about this (just like their stale incorrect narrative about his defense) but we have a pretty large sample size and I don't believe James has the killer instinct needed to carry a team and pull them up and inspire them to win. Russ has that but unfortunately Russ can't make shots in the last 3 minutes of big games despite always trying. Need Russ' heart in James body/skillset.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  5. dmoneybangbang

But he's not wrong. Yes we should have won against the Warriors, but we also didn't win because of Harden and CP3. Harden too often settles for a tough step back or driving into a wall of defenders. Harden doesn't move without the ball which puts pressure on our offense.

Kwahi Leonard is clearly the best playoff player right now and its because he doesn't settle for difficult shots. He gets to his spots and makes buckets. Harden dances and usually misses his shots.

6. dmoneybangbang

I don't get it.....

Harden just limits himself offensively too often. It works in the regular season (like the Bucks) but the playoffs are different. People can bring up the two Warrior series where we were so close, but what about all the rest?

fchowd0311 likes this.
  7. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Yeah exactly dude, save the dead horse criticisms till after the playoffs is not unreasonable.

Just think it, discuss it with the person next to you, but ffs are we rooting for them? Is this how you approach someone you’re rooting for making a mistake?

take a page out of the Rockets playbook. When someone screws up in the playoffs, tap them on the back and hope they do better next similar play.

We just beat a team with an identical record without our 2nd best player for the first 4 games. There’s so much to root for, even the haters on TV are acknowledging the intense effort and defense we’re putting forward.

I swear we have a legit chance if you open your eyes, something special is brewing. Try to remember our problems are no more frequent than whoever you think is having the best playoffs. Go look at clippers or lakers boards they have tons of legit criticisms.

Do we have a problem worse than being the worst shooting team (Lakers)? No way. That’s multiples worse than anything we discuss here, but everyone wants to compare us to another team’s highlights.

And there’s nothing wrong with criticism, I just see that it’s proportionally higher than usual and wanted to highlight that. No ones 9 man rotation is working harder except maybe the Heat. For me if i see effort, I can accept some stupidity.

Your life.

8. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

I love Harden, but late in close games I wish he would:

1) Shoot more pull-up mid-range jumpers. He is really, really efficient at making those shots, and points are at a premium. It doesn't always have to be free throws, layups, and 3's.
    2) Play off the ball and let Westbrook initiate the offense. Not every single time, but maybe 60/40 or 70/30 with Harden playing PG. Westbrook can drive and collapse the lane, the kick out three to Harden would be a terrific option.
    3) Forget about FT's altogether. Don't drive to get fouled. Drive to score. If you get a foul call great, but there are too many times when he just lazily throws it up there looking for a foul. That is not the time to rely on this.

I put a lot of these issues on Dantoni as well, but Harden could (and should) take the lead on fixing this.

9. topfive

topfive CF OG

The games where he stinks up the 4th quarter tend to be games where he's being played very physically and/or where the refs aren't giving him the benefit of pretty obvious fouls. Harden lets that building frustration get in his head and it lessens his ability to focus on the moment.

Invisible Fan and francis 4 prez like this.
  10. dmoneybangbang

Harden needs another move besides step back 3s and drives. Or make it easier for his teammates and play more off the ball.

11. Reeko

Reeko Member

I really don’t understand people who would rather have the ball in Westbrook’s hands. How many bad decisions does he have to make for people to realize he can be highly suspect in crucial moments? Every stat or metric that gets thrown out showing how bad Harden is in the clutch, how low his FG% is in the final moments, how many turnovers he commits in the clutch, etc has Westbrook’s name on the same list, but below Harden because he’s even worse.

francis 4 prez likes this.
  12. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

I clearly said not every time. I don't think James needs to be the primary ball handler on every single play. If you feel that strongly about Westbrook, then you might as well not even tune in, bc if he's really that much of a liability we are getting swept against LA.

13. Reeko

Reeko Member

actually, I take back what I said, I missed the part where u said “with Harden playing PG” so I apologize for that...that’s my bad for not reading everything carefully...disregard what I said

14. HP3

HP3 Member

We dont run pick and roll because we traded the only real big man we have. Westbrook kills spacing on our team. Well we still run pick and roll when Jeff comes in and westbrook is off. ...I think, someon can double check me.

15. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Fair take what he said was true.

Hardens game can be confounding.

16. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

The numbers are nice, but I've watched every single playoff minute this guy has played.

I didn't really need to see those numbers to know Harden needs to do better when it matters most.

The last few minutes against okc was great. Need more of that. Would be nice if his shot was better in crunch time though or he found a way to consistently put points on the board.

17. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

What did he say that was wrong?

18. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

This is what is lost in the discussion, would really like a comparison of the numbers.

19. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

I remember when "fans" used to criticize James' defense to the ends of the Earth. Well earned reputation, that unfortunately still lingers. I think that same thought process is at play - which I like to warmly refer to as Shrodinger's Butthole.

Back then it was en vogue to make fun of James' defense without paying attention to his offense, and now its edgy and trendy to make fun of James' offense without paying attention to his defense!! Which is it?? SMH.

Damned if you do, damned if you dont!!

James Edward Harden Jr ---- GOAT.

20. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Wait what?