1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

John Boyega says Black and Non white characters pushed aside in Star Wars

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by tinman, Sep 3, 2020.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Token racism is the dark side
    Hypocrites Hollywood be
    Upon audience Pointless characters FORCED
    MMMHHH?

@Os Trigonum @Reeko

RayRay10 likes this.
  2. tinman

Supporting Member

#2 tinman, Sep 3, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2020
    Invisible Fan and RayRay10 like this.
  3. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Didn't complain when he was getting paid. He likely isn't getting any roles now and if he thinks studios will want to work with a person who bites the hand that fed it he's dead wrong.

4. likestohypeguy

What does pushed aside mean, they since made sequels without the character he played in them?

The movie poster is pretty bad.Theycould have fit in his head in there somewhere.

RayRay10 likes this.
  5. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Wrong again he has plenty of work.

Borderland (pre-production)
    Tempest
    Rebel Ridge (pre-production)
    They Cloned Tyrone (pre-production)
    2020Naked Singularity (post-production)
    Casi
    2020Small Axe (TV Mini-Series) (completed)
    Leroy Logan
    - Red, White And Blue (2020) ... Leroy Logan

JayGoogle, Ziggy, Nook and 3 others like this.
  6. CCorn

CCorn Member

Won’t have the same issues with Taika Waititi running the show. And he will make the best Star Wars movies ever.

tinman and RayRay10 like this.
  7. tinman

Supporting Member

The first movie it seemed he was going to have a romance with Rey and that he was going to be a pretty strong fighter
    His role became some Jar Jar binks bad character after the first movie

Rocket River, Nook and RayRay10 like this.
  8. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

I can barely even remember the crappy movies. However, I'd probably argue that the main issue was a lack of singular vision for the entire trilogy from the get-go. This was compounded by Rian Johnson who took the story off the rails and really is the main culprit in ruining some of the supporting characters story arcs (ironically, he was probably the most social-justice-oriented individual associated with the new trilogy). The third movie decided it couldn't clean up all that mess and just focused on the two main characters (Rey and Adam Driver), who happened to be white. I feel like that was more likely the issue than a concerted effort to minimize the minority characters.

Also, I'm just assuming the next Star Wars trilogy will have a black lead character.

arkoe and RayRay10 like this.
  9. DCkid

Wait, what? How did I miss this.

RayRay10 likes this.
  10. tinman

Supporting Member

The first movie there were three main characters
    Him, Rey and Adam Driver
    Then after that his character turned into a meaningless character .
    The third film he randomly hooks up with a brand new Black character who seemed to be written just for his character to fill up plot

RayRay10 and Nook like this.
  11. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Pushed aside meaning they were no longer integral to the story.

RayRay10, tinman and Nook like this.
  12. DCkid

Yeah, like I said, I barely remember the movies. Especially the first one. But you're right, he was pretty much set up as a major character in the first one. Until Rian Johnson took over and sent him on a meaningless B-movie side plot to nowhere. Seems like he would be the person who was most to blame, considering he had complete control over the second movie. Yet, Johnson seems very sensitive to social justice/representation issues, so I have a hard time believing it was a concerted effort to reduce his character's role and more just bad film-making.

jiggyfly and RayRay10 like this.
  13. CCorn

CCorn Member

RayRay10 and DCkid like this.
  14. Nook

Nook Member

The movie poster change in China is common. The CCP really hates black people.... not as much as they hate Buddhists (Dr. Strange) but black people are on par with Muslims and one stop above Buddhists... they have Christians too but not to the extent of Muslims.

King1, RayRay10 and tinman like this.
  15. tinman

Supporting Member

Reys character arch was that she saved the universe
    Adam Driver character died help save the world and turned into a good guy

nobody remembers what happened to Johns character
    He was just as useless as the bowling ball r2d2
    Who’s roll was just to be a robot

I understand why he was mad

RayRay10 and DCkid like this.
  16. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

I understand him being angry, but I feel it has less to do with race and more to do with Disney and Lucasfilm's lack of a long-term, cohesive vision for the trilogy. Disney did seem to play up the diversity of the cast, but I don't believe they played up his character moreso than others. He wasn't billed as the central protagonist in the films and certainly didn't appear to be in Force Awakens. It was pretty clear from the getgo, the new trilogy was going to center around Ray and Finn and their dichotomy. But even for them, their character arcs weren't very smooth. He also defends Abrams, but if anything Abrams sidelined him more in Rise than any of the other films. I think Trevorrow's script for Rise would have served his character better.

Honestly, I'm growing a little tired of him (and others) trashing on the films. They're not perfect, far from it at times, but they were still fun. If you didn't enjoy making them that's understandable. But at some point, it's time to just move on.

jiggyfly, tinman and RayRay10 like this.
  17. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Jar Jar also feels that he was pushed aside due to prejudices against Gungans.

tinman likes this.
  18. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

As much as China bots love to claim they're a multi ethnic country, Han Supremacists are a thing and isn't going woke any time soon.

I thought the second one was okay on the first viewing because how everything was completely overwritten and served as dynamite to a 40 yr old franchise.

Without the surprise factor, it wasn't that fun watching it again. Half the movie was a red herring tease that didn't have meaning or even character development and the FU shock factor was gone.

#18 Invisible Fan, Sep 3, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2020
    RayRay10 likes this.
  19. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

How can he complain? In the original Star Wars, there was just one black actor, but he had a primo role: Darth Vader!

20. tinman

Supporting Member

RayRay10 likes this.