1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2020 Presidential Election

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Sweet Lou 4 2, Mar 26, 2020.

1. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Caught manipulating the video, scalise avoids admitting it or (shock) apologizing for manipulating it... my gosh this republican trump enablers have no ethics or morals...

Ubiquitin, deb4rockets and RayRay10 like this.
  2. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

https://www.militarytimes.com/news/...s-poll-more-troops-say-theyll-vote-for-biden/

Trump’s popularity slips in latest Military Times poll — and more troops say they’ll vote for Biden

Quite a bit more at the link above...mentions that more than twice as many military members voted for Trump over Hillary in 2016.

deb4rockets likes this.
  3. NewRoxFan

4. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't usually find myself in agreement with Michael Moore but he does bring up some salient points and I completely agree with Michael Moore that MI shouldn't be taken for granted.

On a side note I don't think MN is actually tied. The polls I've seen showing MN tied or with Trump leading are known Republican leanings polls such as Trafalgar. The impression I get though is that it is close as outside of the Twin Cities and suburbs Trump support is very strong in MN.

One other side note I drove through Superior, WI which is right next to Duluth and has been very strong Republican in recent years. As expected I saw Trump / Pence signs but was surprised to see some Biden / Harris signs. I doubt Biden wins Superior but that tells me that support for Trump isn't as strong as could be expected.

#3644 rocketsjudoka, Aug 31, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2020
    Nook and RayRay10 like this.
  5. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

yeah, VOTE

RayRay10 likes this.
  6. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I'm wondering how much Gen. Mattis. Adm. McRaven and other prominent retired military officers' criticism of Trump has to do with that.

7. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Edit.

I read it wrong.

RayRay10 likes this.
  8. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

Some...but, I also think the Syria pull out, the closing of bases in Germany, getting folks bombed by Iran, sending troops down to the border for little to no reason, legitimizing North Korea, the constant lying, the bounty announcement, and the fact that, while they increased the military budget, almost none of it is trickling down because it's all going to contractors.

A lot of military members just want stability and honor...Trump doesn't offer any of that.

I was most surprised by that poll that the officers were the largest group that disapproved of Trump...usually officers are heavily GOP...then again...it also shows the shift in parties as the Dems get the college-educated and the GOP gets the white non-college graduates.

Rashmon, Nook, right1 and 4 others like this.
  9. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

So you think this is the only thing that they are doing, pointing a finger at Trump?

That shows you are not doing any research about Biden and those things and why are you not questioning Trump about those same things?

How will he deal with them?

10. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Maybe some of the military and ex-military members here can answer this.

My understand from friends in the military is that in general the officer corps is conservative but of the Neo-Con variety while the enlisted are more populists. Since Trump has been in office this has only gotten wider. Is that something that y'all have seen?

#3650 rocketsjudoka, Aug 31, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2020
    RayRay10 likes this.
  11. astros123

astros123 Member

He's not dealing with them. Trump will eliminate payroll tax while the federal reserve will keep interest rates at artificially low. This will create a deflationary environment for the middle and lower class as automation takes more jobs away from the middle and lower class. With the federal reserve keeping interest rates low this will force billionaires and investors to invest in equities as there is no other investment opportunities elsewhere as bonds are at historic lows. The rich will get richer and the poor will even more rich in the next decade. I have a medical equipment company in NW Indiana and people in Indiana are scared about Trump eliminating the Payroll tax because a lot are afraid of losing their medicare.

The only way around this is by providing free trade school/student debt relief and a real minimum wage hike. This bullshit notion about capitalism free markets should dictate minimum wage doesn't work in 2020 because they didn't predict robots and AI taking over the labor market. The minimum wage will and peoples living standards are in jeopardy here as commodities will still go up with inflation.

Combine a shrinking middle class with high unemployment and you're bound to see massive civil unrest. Having a leader who can lead us even for optics is very important in the next decade. This is one of the most important elections of our life for the middle class and Biden and the Left are not making it about the real issues.

I'm honestly truly scared for this country as an American.

12. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Yikes!

RayRay10 likes this.
  13. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

For a moderate Democrat you sure know a lot about what Trump is doing even if those things have minimal bearing on the questions you asked.

Biden and the left?

I thought you were a moderate Dem?

You actually think a payroll tax will solve all of these issues?

Fo Reals?

RayRay10 likes this.
  14. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

surprise most of them put service and loyalty to country and it's people first

rocketsjudoka and RayRay10 like this.
  15. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I agree with your analysis but as you note if Biden isn't making it about the real issues then Trump certainly isn't. Trump is literally pushing the things you criticize (a payroll tax cut and artificially low interest rates).

I don't believe that Biden will somehow fix all the problems you note. No single politician can. Biden does have Yang has an advisor so UBI which will help some of the issues you note might be on the table during a Biden Administration.

RayRay10 likes this.
  16. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

Also didn't include his crapping on gold-star families and his attacks on McCain and POWs in general.

You could also throw in his pardoning of the Navy Seal who broke the law in there.

jiggyfly and rocketsjudoka like this.
  17. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

18. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I sure would like to see these people taking things for granted or saying Trump can't win because I have not seen this.

What am I missing?

RayRay10 likes this.
  19. NewRoxFan

20. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian