1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets OKC boycotting game 5 per woj

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by iNoseBleedRed, Aug 26, 2020.

1. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

I’m actually ok with this thought process as well. I highlighted how it’s my personal opinion that politics shouldn’t be in sports. I think all it does is damage the fan base.

2. foggy94

foggy94 Member

Firstly, that's still racist. And go **** yourself if you think it's ok to presume someone who is black is an 'illegal immigrant'. Where do you think black people are coming from illegally?

Secondly, when a police officer decides to 'randomly' stop and search someone in the street, they don't know their nationality, their language, or their income status.

3. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

They sure did make a stink about it before

truth is they don’t understand what is happening in Hong Kong

4. The Beard

This

It COULD have been a distraction from the anxieties, this just adds more anxiety for most, while doing nothing to actually help anything

There are MANY things NBA stars could do to help the situation both now and long term, instead they choose to simply show anger and cause millions of others to want to react with anger and emotion rather than work for actual solutions

Sad

5. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Isolated incidents don't prove much. Decades of data of police brutality against blacks do. It's like, if a player shoots lights out in one game, it doesn't prove that he is a good shooter. But if he does it his whole career, then we know that it is not just luck.

DVauthrin, Patience and foggy94 like this.
  6. foggy94

foggy94 Member

Anger and emotion is the point. I don’t think they want to serve as a distraction. It sucks but you shouldn’t be distracted. We need emotion right now

7. The Beard

Not trying to argue, would love a serious honest answer to this

How is anger and emotion going to bring about positive change?

8. foggy94

foggy94 Member

Because it recruits more people and encourages activism more than passivity. As much as the 'facts and reason' crowd would love us all to be purely logical robots, humans don't work like that and nor should we. You need emotion and passion.

Why do the biggest protests happen after something horrible has happened? Because people are pissed off and motivated to take action. You need a sense of urgency.

9. The Beard

I agree it increases the numbers and sizes of the protests. And yes when you do something to promote real change you have to have passion

I just don’t see many times in history where reacting with Anger has made anyone’s life better. Anger brings more anger

As I said before, these star players have a ton of people who believe in them as people (which is crazy in its own right cause some of them are great people and some of them are not) and they could use that to help the situation tremendously

10. Jonhty

Jonhty Member

no you don't... you want to defend only HK or mostly HK... you say all people only not to be accused of being a hypocrite...

11. foggy94

foggy94 Member

But what they dont want to be is a distraction, right? They don't want people to not think about black issues and relax. That's their goal.

12. Rocketsfan3422

Living a cynical life must not be enjoyable for anyone around you.

13. Victorious

Victorious Member

Governments have used athletes as pawns, politics will always been involved with sports

14. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

15. Sep11ie

Sep11ie Member

I'm not crying for anybody. There is no difference between a white piece of **** and a black piece of **** to me.

16. BlackHalo

BlackHalo Member

More like.

Wait why are we boycotting ourselves? We are dumb, we better get back on the court.

fckbandwagons likes this.
  17. Poonwalker

Poonwalker Member

The cop that killed Floyd is charged with second-degree murder, third-degree murder and second-degree manslaughter. His accomplices are being held as well. Cops are not regular citizens, they go to work every day and face the real threat of being killed or wounded unlike the average person. Criminals often get the first jump on them, look at the statistics for how many die every year. Making blanket statements about police is not right, look how many do good things and save people, sometimes you hear that in the press but not often. This is taken for granted and not really discussed. Defunding the police will not make people safer, especially in high crime areas. Additionally good citizens will suffer because there will be longer response times in an emergency, often police are the first ones at the scene to help. I agree with the need for more social workers to combat mental illness and drug abuse. This is a leading cause of fatal police encounters in the public. But we also may need more social workers in police departments helping mentally ill policemen as well. The journey of a cop is not always a good one. The person entering may want to make a difference in the fight against crime, however it is emotionally and mentally challenging, and this can take a toll. Defunding will not help that one bit either, it might just make it worse.

#717 Poonwalker, Aug 27, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2020
  18. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

What have you done to help the Chinese people that you care about so much?

foggy94 likes this.
  19. foggy94

foggy94 Member

Now do the cops that killed Breonna Taylor

20. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Now do the cops that killed Daniel Shaver or the Tuttles