1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why isn't Harden driving (and trying to finish) more?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SuperMarioBro, Aug 21, 2020.

1. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

Firstly relax, I'm not hating. I'm genuinely curious if you're seeing something or have insight that I don't. Obviously what we're doing is working right now, but it seems to me like Harden and the team could benefit at times from Harden taking it in more (and finishing rather than kicking out). The drive used to the bread to Harden's step-back-3-point butter. These days, his game seems to be mostly butter.

I understood it when we had both Clint and Westbrook on the team, as there wasn't enough spacing. But now? With no center AND no Westbrook? That paint seems to be more open than at any point in Harden's Rockets career. I don't think it's that he's lost a step. He's still in his prime and looks as deceptively quick as ever, especially defensively. Which brings me to my best guess: maybe the energy that he would normally spend breaking down defenders off the dribble is now spent trying to prevent defenders from breaking him down on the other end? I think he's been an underrated defender for the last couple years, but his effort now is higher than ever, especially on the perimeter.

My other theory is he got tired of taking beatings down there while getting fewer calls as the season progressed, as one of the main benefits of his drives are the fouls he could draw.

Then again, I haven't looked up the exact numbers. Maybe somehow Harden is driving close to as much as ever, and there's some kind of psychological bias that prevents me from noticing.

burlesk, napalm06 and Jayzers_100 like this.
  2. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Yesterday, Lu Dort played a big part in that. He's big and strong and moved very well, keeping Harden from getting around him. A few of those threes fall and things will open up more.

3. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

i think hes saving it for games that matter.... conference finals and finals both harden and EGO...driving takes the toll make you tired and susceptible to injuries
    i think they know we will beat thunder no matter what and are saving their health

burlesk, RudyTBag, vinsensual and 5 others like this.
  4. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

I did somehow forget about Dort's defense... It was probably about as good as I've seen Harden defended. Still, I've never seen a guy who could prevent Harden from getting the shot he wanted, if he really wanted it, on any regular basis, and I don't think Dort is an exception. But maybe you're right and it's just a matter of him needing to make a couple more of those 3-pt looks.

fchowd0311 and snowconeman22 like this.
  5. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

To be fair, Thunder were helping Dort and were forming a wall behind him. Look at the sequence when Harden drove in on Dort but a couple of Thunder players were there to meet him at the free throw line, then Harden did a behind the back pass to Jeff Green.

Dort did a good job moving his feet but the Thunder defense is fully focused on Harden. He doesn't get the wide open lanes that other Rockets have been getting.

6. fryjol7

fryjol7 Member

Dort is defending well, super excited about tomorrow's game because of that. I'm expecting James to come up with ideas. Kudos to the kid, awesome disciplined defense.

And he must be built like a wall, for Harden to be reluctant to go in, I guess it must be draining him. Also, don't overlook the fact that behind Dort is Adams waiting too, OKC in general has been very emphatic in closing the paint to James with Donovan leading the bench

saleem likes this.
  7. jb86

jb86 Member

Harden needs to post up on offense at the end of games because he is automatic from midrange.

withmustard and saleem like this.
  8. YallMean

YallMean Member

He is still driving and finishing, but he is just very smart about his options. In the past playoffs, he would become too predictable at his intention is. For example, the Blazer series a few years back, they would stick (I forgot his name, the dude with a headband) onto him to swat him. But this version of Harden are very selective when to drive all the way and when to kick out to the side or behind the back. That's an evolution.

While we are on this topic, I am surprised that no one has mentioned that he stops looking for fouls when he drives, but really focus on finishing and dishing instead.

So Saith Red, hakeem94 and ElPigto like this.
  9. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Maybe Harden reads CF and finally understands media conspiracy. If he drives more, the media will say that his game is nothing other than drawing fouls. :D

10. Loneyroy7

Loneyroy7 Member

He definitely hasn't been going as hard as he can offensively these 1st two games. It's been noticeable.

You'll see him open it all the way up next round though when he's going head-to-head with LeBron. That's for sure.

hakeem94 likes this.
  11. ksny15

ksny15 Member

This isn’t getting talking about enough. He was absolutely deadly on the mid range step back in 14-15. He needs to utilize that more

saleem and hakeem94 like this.
  12. Reeko

Reeko Member

he drove 22 times in game 1...5 more than his season average...that dipped to 13 drives in game 2

Dort did a good job, nobody can deny that...the paint is open, just not for Harden because of how he’s defended...it’s open for EG, House, Green, and Rivers because of Harden’s gravity and the attention he demands

I also think he drives a little less because he’s been picking up a lot of defensive fouls and doesn’t want to add possible charges on top of it...he’s had 4 fouls in each game against OKC, and he was racking them up in the seeding games as well

D-rock, saleem, bballjunkie and 4 others like this.
  13. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Its not only "getting the shot" its also the energy cost involved. If james has to work hard to move Dort then over the course of the game he cant just force it. Also 3>2

Harden played so well on defense and controlled the offense very well . I think if the calculus tells him to drive , he will.

D-rock likes this.
  14. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I think the idea is that James is likely to be hot from the three point line tomorrow. He was just missing usual step back threes that he makes regularly in Game 2. Credit to OKC for taking away the drive, but they never took away the three point line. When Harden burns them tomorrow from three, expect Billy to go away from his "no doubling" game plan and double Harden all game long. Should allow the rest of the roster to feast for game 4.

D-rock likes this.
  15. nacho bidness

nacho bidness Member

He hasn't been driving much going back to the start of the season so it's not just Dort. He's more comfortable settling for threes than he used to be. A lot of it was that the paint was clogged before we got rid of Capela.

hakeem94 likes this.
  16. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Drives and shots off drives and shot percentage on drives

Season : 17.6 drives with 7.3 FGA and 55.7% shooting

First 2 playoff games : 17.5 drives with 6.5 FGA and 69.2% shooting

Other seasons
    18/19 : 19.6 drives per game
    17/18 : 17.1 drives per game
    16/17 : 17.1 drives per game

17. YaoMingsSoulja

I just think he gets into this mode where he misses some threes and then he'll start to shoot one after the other probably because he's annoyed from missing them, and it's frustrating to watch at times. But yea give credit to OKC defense they were making it a point to stop his penetration.

saleem and fryjol7 like this.
  18. fryjol7

fryjol7 Member

Agree and I expect him to increase his mark, not sure if he is going all the way up to high thirties (%3pt) because of the volume he is taking and again, I'm giving some credit to the kid. But at the same time, I think this is the best stretch of basketball I have ever seen from James Harden and because of that, even if we go up early, I'm as a fan, expecting him to try something to get to his season averages.

Not sure if he is going to bring back the mid range stepback, try the weird shot we saw in the offseason, or if Coach is going to try some actions to get him downhill with the ball before the defender sets up, but I expect them to try some counter

saleem and ElPigto like this.
  19. AXG

AXG Member

Harden takes what the defense gives him and they have to pick their poison.

D-rock and Rocket River like this.
  20. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

Hmm, would be interesting to see how his FGA attempts compared in other seasons. That from nba.com? Though the FGA rate these first two games seem to vindicate me a bit, especially given his shooting percentage on those attempts.