1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

{Official] Home and Home Series Rockies vs. Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Aug 17, 2020.

1. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

After all the injury news, slow start for some of our key hitters, and bullpen woes, I’m amazed that we’re only 3 games back for most wins in AL. The starting pitching has been great for the most part and the bullpen has done a fine job after that horrible stretch. And, we’re seeing some timely hitting and contributions from players we wouldn’t necessarily expect to come through. I’m pleasantly surprised.

2. HTown2017Champs

That's why I used the quotations. This year's title (regardless of who wins it) will definitely be viewed differently. But, still, shortened season aside, a division championship (against a MUCH tougher Oakland team) would show that we're still a very talented team regardless.

King1, BigM and RayRay10 like this.
  3. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Nice win. Great pitching again.
    Looking much better now. Colorado is good.

King1, raining threes and RayRay10 like this.
  4. whiskeyred

whiskeyred Contributing Member

A’s lose again

J. Ar, King1, No Worries and 7 others like this.
  5. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

It’s hard to explain. This team isn’t even remotely as good as it can be down the line either. Under the circumstances, I’ll definitely take it.

raining threes and RayRay10 like this.
  6. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

H-Town taking care of business tonight.

[​IMG]

jiggyfly, whiskeyred, King1 and 13 others like this.
  7. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

If one side had to be struggling I would much rather it be the offense because I have more faith in them being good by the end. The youngsters have far exceeded expectations thus far, but it's still alarming to have to count on this many greenhorns.

All in all its hard to complain about our current record. The luck in close games has balanced itself out.

whiskeyred, Uprising, King1 and 2 others like this.
  8. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

9. Chilly_Pete

Chilly_Pete Contributing Member

Love seeing the steps our young pitchers are taking.

whiskeyred and RayRay10 like this.
  10. conquistador#11

5 more starts like this one for Bielak and he can be a Co- roy/ cy young candidate with Greinke.
    No pressure. I'm assuming they're still going to do 'season' awards this year.
    In previous years I would dig deep into hitting stats and just sort of pay attention to pitching stats for the local team. This year, it's been the complete opposite.

RayRay10 likes this.
  11. awc713

awc713 Member

I’m really excited about all of the positive strides our young pitchers have made...but this is a league where adjustments are needed. I hope they’re able to adjust to the opponents adjustments throughout the year. What a pale of riches we have if even half of our young arms can make it in this league. Pleasant surprise for sure.

12. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Big start for Valdez today. Wonder how that curve is going to play at Coors Canaveral? Hoping he can keep the team in the game and/or the offense can give him some run support.

King1, RayRay10 and conquistador#11 like this.
  13. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Taylor is the one I worry the most on the league adjusting. His fastball is a little weird in that it cuts (but not as much as a cutter) instead of tails. Hoping it takes more than a 60-game season for league to adjust if they can.

Paredes and Javier have stuff, and will be fine as long as they throw strikes and aren't overextended. Very difficult to adjust to stuff.

Bielak has dodged some walks, but looks like he should be walking fewer, and striking out more guys. He's had a hard time turning 2 strikes into 3. Batters square him up some, but gives up some very weak contact when not squared up. Hardly any moderate contact against Bielak. He's dodged the walks and occasional hard contact so far, but is likely closer to average than current ERA shows. He's got a few pitches to work with which should help him keep batters from adjusting.

Scrubb has a great curveball. He's incredibly difficult for batters to square up. I worry about the walks. Only thing hitters can do is try not to swing at balls and hope umps continue to squeeze him.

Brooks Raley...guys just haven't been able to hit him. Not sure if he's been lucky or good.

For the most part, if the Astros young guys throw strikes, it will be tough for opponents to adjust to them as their pitches have enough mojo to make it difficult to be squared up.

#173 Joe Joe, Aug 19, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2020
  14. Screaming Fist

Raley is a really weird pitcher. Like a LHP Joe Smith but with a nice cutter as well. Seems like a guy who is likely to have an extreme platoon split and thus will only be useful situationaly.

conquistador#11, RayRay10 and Joe Joe like this.
  15. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

Should be interesting, Rockies have a rookie going as well who's only made two starts so far and he's been damn near unhittable...granted, it was against Texas and Seattle. He wasn't considered a fantastic prospect or anything so hopefully our bats can get through to him. Got to face Marquez on Thursday and then (probably) Richards and Davies in the 1st two vs San Diego so hopefully we can get this one.

King1 likes this.
  16. Clutch City1993

Clutch City1993 Bury Me In The H
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Sometimes when injuries go down, other people step up. I enjoy seeing some of the young guys grow but not at the expense of losing. The reason being, we still have the weapons to contend this year. I hope the second half of the season goes well and we save some face versus Oakland. One game at a time!

RayRay10 likes this.
  17. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

Well that first at bat was fun...

RayRay10 and desihooper like this.
  18. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Ugh.....whelp. Enjoyed that HR.

RayRay10 and conquistador#11 like this.
  19. conquistador#11

Last year he took 2, 90+ fast ball fouls to the knees in almost consecutive games took a week off came back like nothing. He probably kept playing with it through the playoffs making it worse by November. Comes back with the "Covid" and re injures himself in that awkward slide.

Solution: DH. Never slide. I saw Big Papi slide once and that's because he tripped.

20. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

The Dodgers may have known something about his knees. Don't care, still won the trade.

TWS1986 likes this.