1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[OFFICIAL] Joe Biden Veepstakes thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Os Trigonum, Mar 6, 2020.

1. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

The only party I see playing the race / gender card is Biden and the Dems.

They based their decision on VP based off of race and gender , not character and qualifications.

He's also said he would do the same thing with a SCOTUS appointee ....

Andre0087 and RayRay10 like this.
  2. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Yeah , keep listening to what she say's , not watching what she does ....

RayRay10 likes this.
  3. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

My black neighbor growing up married a Korean woman. She had been married to a black guy before and had 3 kids.

This is a complex subject. I think my neighbors identified with both races. Obviously in the neighborhood (a black neighborhood) they were viewed as mixed race.

At the end of the day i think people see mixed race as a racial category and everyone including the people of mixed heritage see people as a product of both cultres/races.

I think that was true for Tiger Woods. With golf being a predominantly white sport of privilege, Tiger being black fuels a more provocative narrative but in terms of how people view him i think most people think of him as biracial/black/asian

sirbaihu likes this.
  4. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Ya the D&D has become gutter trash. The only reasonable amicable sincere debates are between leftists and moderates here.

I guess this is to be expected when we elect someone like Trump as president. Discourse in this country becomes a clown show.

5. Reeko

Reeko Member

Hmmm, so what noble character traits and qualifications did Pence have?

she is qualified for the position of VP, period...idiots trying to act like she’s some affirmative action pick make me laugh, but it’s to be expected

people are very predictable with their agendas

DVauthrin, rocketsjudoka and RayRay10 like this.
  6. fchowd0311

I have a sincere question and I hope you can answer it sincerely.

Who do you think is more qualified and more intelligent between Harris and Pence?

DVauthrin and FranchiseBlade like this.
  7. Reeko

Reeko Member

if anyone was picked because of skin color while having no qualifications for the job, it’s Trump picking Ben Carson as head of Housing and Urban Development

Kamala Harris is qualified for VP...foh with that BS

8. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

To respond to both yourself and @pgabriel Yes I understand US culture pretty much pushes her into being Black more than it does being Indian. Now I will admit that I haven't followed her whole career but she definitely identifies more with being Black than she does Indian. Tiger Woods identifies himself as post racial "Cablanasian". Obama identified himself as Black and so did the rest of the country even though he is also mixed race. This isn't me categorizing Harris this is what Harris is categorizing herself.

In regard to her Indian heritage I'm sure that's important and she talked about the importance of her mother but she doesn't campaign on that. If she started campaigning in a Sari I certainly would wonder why she was doing and given her changing positions in regard to political winds I think it's very legitimate to question if she's doing that for some sort of political advantage.

FranchiseBlade and RayRay10 like this.
  9. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

aren't campaigns about getting advantage?

RayRay10 likes this.
  10. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

It's obvious that race and gender played a big role in the pick of Harris but there are a lot of black women out there. I'm not a Harris fan but yes character and qualifications were what the pick was decided on and I do think she handle the rigors of the campaign trail and the office. Even just going on race and gender Biden still could've picked Rice, Bass, Abrams and etc.. There certainly were other reasons to pick Harris.

And again if we're talking about card punching Pence had been very critical of Trump before he was picked for VP. Trump needed someone who was a staunch Christian Conservative to cover criticisms on his character and secure the Evangelicals. VP picks are often about card punching.

RayRay10 likes this.
  11. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Your suburban housewife agrees.

Nook, RayRay10 and FranchiseBlade like this.
  12. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Sure but as I said again style matters. We've seen how "inauthentic" candidates have turned off the electorate and Harris isn't at the top of the ticket because much of the Democratic base didn't consider her authentic. If she were to suddenly start wearing a sari, playing Bollywood songs on the campaign trail and talk about how much she loves a plate of dal and chapati, especially if polling was showing the Asian vote was slipping, I would question her authenticity.

RayRay10 and FranchiseBlade like this.
  13. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

How is Ms.Harris playing among Indian Americans and the Indian population?
    (will she win Sugar Land? ha)

Going forward in a world wide economic race with a billion people, it would certainly be nice to have a billion democratic people as allies.

#913 Dubious, Aug 13, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2020
    RayRay10 and FranchiseBlade like this.
  14. Nook

Nook Member

No, if a white woman does the same it is still considered a negative.

If a man, especially a white man does it, then it is doing what it takes to win.

Don't be confused, Harris' gender plays an enormous part in all of them.

jiggyfly, RayRay10 and FranchiseBlade like this.
  15. Nook

Nook Member

This is disgusting and incredibly misogynous.

All I can say is that it does highlight the incredible gender discrimination that women face.

16. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Then you aren't looking very hard and haven't been watching the past 4 years.

17. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

First of all, even Indian Americans politicians don't campaign in a Sari so naturally that's not going to happen. But less say she wears one at an event. To you that's her being "ambitious" and "Playing politics" as many on the right claim she does.

I think you are buying into that narrative. What political candidate doesn't do things to gain a political advantage? Why is she not allowed to be ambitious or to play that game when every other candidate does that? Does not Trump use a bible as a prop? Does Pence not use his faith in his politics? Biden does the same. They all do it. But that's ok and Harris isn't allowed to do it because you don't believe she has a cultural connection or she hasn't done it enough before?

RayRay10 likes this.
  18. fchowd0311

Let's put it this way. There are some politicans who are better at pandering organically where at initial glance you can't notice it. People like Hillary, Harris and Warren are bad at that aspect and when they pander it's very obvious (ex: Hillary hot sauce incident)

Nook likes this.
  19. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I am for sure biased on this topic, but I would be happy to see her more openly recognize her Indian roots. Many will cynically call it pandering, true, but I also think a fear of being accused of "pandering" shouldn't end up constraining someone from being public about their cultural heritage.

jiggyfly, Sweet Lou 4 2 and RayRay10 like this.
  20. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

Yesterday was her first day as Biden’s running mate, and I will continue to form and adjust my opinion of her based on her actions as time goes by. She may not end up doing well in the role, but I certainly saw someone that can act the part yesterday. That’s more than I can say for either Donald Trump or Mike Pence.

#920 DVauthrin, Aug 13, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2020
    jiggyfly, Sweet Lou 4 2 and RayRay10 like this.