1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Elderly protester hurt by police

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by deb4rockets, Jun 5, 2020.

1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Cops have become the American SS
    I would be shocked if the ratio of good apples to bad apples was 50/50
    I suspect bad Apples out number good. . . the good ones are on desk duty

Rocket River

2. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

3. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Are The Criminal Charges Against The Buffalo Police Officers Excessive?

https://jonathanturley.org/2020/06/...gainst-the-buffalo-police-officers-excessive/

excerpt:

It is hard to see from this video a clear intent to cause serious physical injury in this videotape. Gugino takes a number of steps backward as he tried to stay on his feet but then takes the hard fall.

In the news conference, District Attorney John Flynn said the officers “crossed a line.” As someone who have both represented and sued law enforcement, that assertion is likely to be severely tested in court.

Cuomo insisted that the video was clear and warrants immediate termination: “Why? Why was that necessary? Where was the threat? It’s just fundamentally offensive and frightening. How did we get to this place?”

While this will hardly be popular in today’s environment, it is not clear from a criminal law perspective. Pushing and shoving back protesters is a standard police practice, which is why officers are irate that any protest control tactics will involve a risk of protesters or officers falling.

Frankly, absent additional evidence, I would be surprised if Flynn could make this case stick before a jury given this videotape.

This may reflect my background as a criminal defense attorney, but my primary objection however is to Cuomo’s comments in calling for termination before any due process has been afforded. The mayor has refused to support Cuomo’s call and instead insisted that the officers should be given their day in court. I do not see how Cuomo can conclusively make this determination without more evidence and an opportunity for these officers to present a defense. Conversely, I do not see the basis for the mayor to call Gugino a “major instigator” because he had been told repeatedly to leave. Even if he was refusing to comply, the video does not show that he was an instigator in terms of what followed in his serious injury.​

edwardc and RayRay10 like this.
  4. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

It's all a hoax...

Screenshot_20200608-095704_Facebook.jpg

5. Colt45

Colt45 Member
    Supporting Member

The state police medics that treated him for a "laceration and possible concussion" and the Erie County Medical Center that claims he was in "serious but stable condition" after the incident are in on it too!

6. bobrek

Did you ever see the Dana Carvey bit about OJ. "let's frame OJ, pass it on....let's frame OJ, pass it on...let's frame OJ, pass it on...,etc."

7. Colt45

Colt45 Member
    Supporting Member

Yep! Dana Carvey's stand-up resume is waaaaay under-rated. I think that was the same special where he talked about taking his kid to Toys-R-Us..."Buy me that useless piece of plastic...I think I feel a tantrum comin' on!"

jiggyfly, Ziggy and RayRay10 like this.
  8. bobrek

RayRay10 and Colt45 like this.
  9. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Haven't read thread. That man did trip. He was pushed, not hard enough to fall over

10. bobrek

Perhaps not hard enough to make a young fellow like you fall over, but certainly hard enough to make a 75 year old man fall over.

Reeko, No Worries, Deckard and 2 others like this.
  11. Nook

Nook Member

Shoving the old man onto the ground is not how you handle the situation. They could have stopped and spoken to him and they even could of arrested him if so inclined. Shoving him hard so that his head has blood pouring out is not the proper response.

12. Nook

Nook Member

My best guess is because Americans forget that we are all in this together, and that we are people first. Empathy is severely lacking in the USA right now. There is no sense of community.

Changes are coming. If they do not happen now........ this will rear it's head again and next time a lot bloodier. There are some on this message board that do not realize the size of changes that will occur.

It is good to question and not accept mediocrity.

America does suck right now.

AleksandarN, Roomba and RayRay10 like this.
  13. Nook

Nook Member

Yeah... when the Jesuits get involved it never goes well for the authorities.

It starts with peaceful protests by the Jesuits and ends with the Jesuits teaching widows how to build homemade frag grenades and how to properly use AK-47's while saying a prayer.

By far the most well educated, dedicated and scientifically aligned religious order I have ever seen...... but they are very anti establishment and have no issues getting bloody after a certain point.

Deckard, RayRay10 and B-Bob like this.
  14. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

It's not. I agree. But they also didn't shove him very hard. They shoved him enough to stop his momentum in coming at them. When he stumbled, his momentum continued, and kept going as he tried to catch his balance.

I agree the cops could have dealt with it differently, but if we're playing hindsight, couldn't the guy have not put himself in that situation?

RayRay10 likes this.
  15. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Doesn't matter, they caused his injuries through excessive and unnecessary force. I find it amazing how low the expectation of a lot of people in the US must be of the police to even discuss and question this at all. It's clear as day. The 75 year old man posed no threat, yet he was shoved in a way that his head hit the ground and he started bleeding from his head.

In any other country, this wouldn't even be a question.

But I guess he was lucky he didn't get shot.

16. conquistador#11

Today it is confirmed:

#136 conquistador#11, Jun 9, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2020
    RayRay10 likes this.
  17. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Martin Gugino is an evil genius and Antifa mastermind!

RayRay10 likes this.
  18. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The real damning part of the incident to me is when one LEO stop and appears like he is going to help Gugino but another LEO tells him to move along. There is a case to be made that this was an accident but that they just stepped over him and even stopped one of their own from rendering aid shows that they were callous and had no intention of Gugino's welfare.

Buck Turgidson and RayRay10 like this.
  19. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

This theory should be tested on someone of a similar age...slightly younger, but morbidly obese.

20. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

@OANN

RayRay10 likes this.