1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Dmo to sign with Jazz if Favors misses extended time

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cyberx, Nov 28, 2016.

1. vator

vator Contributing Member

Diaw would actually be great in this offense...unfortunately he is old and fat. I'd rather them try to trade for Lyles. I think he fits in better with what we want to do here than the way they play in Utah.

I already know that a straight up sign and trade is not an option. I think this has been mentioned in all the other DMo discussions. I just wonder if they want DMo if they would look to move on from Lyles. I know DMo is a PF/C and Lyles is a tweener so they technically can play together, but Gobert is the primary C for Utah so most of DMo's mintues would be a PF theoretically.

2. CertifiedTroll

Let him walk, Beasley has replaced his production..

emcitymisfit likes this.
  3. marky :)

marky :) Member

Damn. I've lost track of all the "Yule C's". I need to make an excel sheet.

hakeem94 and J.R. like this.
  4. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

The Jazz are never healthy. And even if so, they still strike me as a middle of the pack playoff team at best. You said top team when healthy. The upside when healthy is 4th seed in the West.

That said, a DMo signing makes some sense to me... if its a one year deal. Not sure why'd they want to sign him multiple years.

The bigger tidbit here is the "very confident in keeping Hay." Hay is #1 target in FA for Rockets, I think. Allows Ariza to become super sub, or move him. Can be realyl solid option next to Harden. Multi-tool player. Not allergic to defense (though not a defensive stud), still relatively young, etc. He;d flourish in this offense.

5. vator

vator Contributing Member

I just get the feeling that if they REALLY wanted DMo they would have signed him already. I trust Cyber's info, but I'll believe it when I see it. The money would have to be pretty substantial in the first year to deter the Rockets from matching and they can't really guarantee him anything in subsequent years without destroying the cap they are planning to eat into to retain guys like Hill and Hayward.

J.R. likes this.
  6. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

Yeah, I don't get the drama. The simplest explanation here is that DMo and his agent didn't like what Morey was offering, and they were willing to risk some salary loss to hold out and see if an injury or some other event caused a team to cough up the kind of money he was looking for. In which case, either Morey would match it or not, and either way DMo would get his money. Is it any more complicated than that?

Batman Jones, Rashmon, robgue and 3 others like this.
  7. topfive

topfive CF OG

I think you're looking at the past through rose-colored glasses, as we all tend to do. And how many relationships between Morey and players have actually gone sour? You can't count Howard because historically Dwight's relationships have gone sour with every team. Who else? The guys from last year's team who aren't here now (Josh, TJ, Lawson, Terry, Beasley, Thornton) are gone because they weren't adding any value, but I'm not aware that any of them had an issue with Morey. Did anyone ever actually take shots directly at Morey after they were gone? And if so, what happened to cause it?

I wouldn't even consider swapping Morey for a more player-friendly GM. Morey more than makes up for his deficiencies by being a master at cap and salary work and having a good overall draft record (despite what some here on CF think).

Personally, I think early on Morey was hailed at this genius MIT deep-stats guy who ran his own freaking stats convention, and that got him lots of press but also served to make people think his skills in other areas were questionable. He supposedly didn't know Xs and Os and had no idea how to do the vaunted eyeball test. And because he mentioned the word "assets" a few times (which nearly every other GM in the league also does), he became known as someone who was cold and distant with players, moving them around like chess pieces and not caring about them as humans. It's easy to see how the reputation was created, and a lot of people buy into that, or at least allow that unfair reputation to influence their opinions of him. But finding actual evidence of Morey having poor relationships with players is much more difficult to come by.

Want a real-life example of a GM who has publicly treated a star player like a leper? Dan Gilbert of the Cavs.

And I'm not someone who thinks Morey is God. He has his flaws. His ability to lure big-name free agents is questionable, for example. I just don't think D-Mo is a good example of a "sour relationship." D-Mo simply wants what he thinks he's worth, not what the league has decided he's worth. Can't blame him for trying, but so far he's been spectacularly unrealistic in that expectation, because not a single team has stepped up with an offer (Bholic's secret magic "one offer sheet" is still a Jackalope). Morey made a clean deal with Detroit, but if that soured D-Mo, then he's just a sensitive twat, because trades are part of the business. Everything I can see about this particular impasse between D-Mo and the Rox says that Morey has been pretty fair ($7M for a player no one else wants) and the player has been the one at fault. And I'm a huge D-Mo fan.

#167 topfive, Nov 29, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2016
    robgue, DudeWah, Easy and 2 others like this.
  8. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

Top 5 that's pretty spot on. D Mo is a good role player with health issues that no other team wants. Morey gave him a square deal. DMo is trying to play hardball. At this point with the Rockets winning and having a decent rotation, his leverage is next to none.

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

He's a significant upgrade when it comes to shooting 3's, but that's literally all he does well on a basketball court. Looking at the whole picture, they are a lot closer overall than most people want to admit......but in no way am I suggesting that we should waste anywhere near 20 mil a year on DMo like we did on Anderson.

10. basketballholic

It's even less complicated than that. They've known all along that there was another team willing to pay them more.

Nothing coy. There is NOTHING illegal about executing a trade and then renouncing a player or deciding not to match an offer sheet AS LONG AS THE TRADE IS EXECUTED BEFORE THE OFFER SHEET IS SIGNED!

Which is most likely what would happen here. Lindsay would be taking Morey at his word that Morey was going to renounce or not match certain offers.

Not to mention they could present offer sheet decide not to match it, then execute a separate trade later, after renouncing or not matching.

The CBA restriction only applies to executing a trade while an offer sheet is pending. League office is not going to be able to disallow two separate transactions at two separate times.

hakeem94 likes this.
  11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

For the record any offer to DMo has to be a MINIMUM of 2 years before any option can be granted.

Anyone know if the 2nd year has to be guaranteed? If so, it complicates things.

DD

12. J.R.

J.R. Member

↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑

13. Vivi

Vivi Member

14. topfive

topfive CF OG

You've been saying this forever. If it's true, where is that team? Why have they still not tendered an offer at this late date? At this point, every team in the league know what D-Mo is willing to accept and what the Rox are willing to pay. I think you're just blowing smoke in the hope that someone will eventually tender an offer and you'll be able to say "Told ya, you morons!" With ever passing week, though, you're just looking sillier and sillier.

So...

If you know the team, quit pussying around about it and name them now. Claiming insider knowledge after the fact isn't going to convince anyone.

#174 topfive, Nov 29, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2016
    BigMaloe, robgue and Amel like this.
  15. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

yawn at Dmo saga continuing.

when he makes a real move, IF he makes a real move let us know.

J.R. likes this.
  16. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

@topfive
    Good post about Morey's people skill. I agree with you overall. Morey seems a very relatable guy.

My gripe about Morey is his seemingly inability to grasp the human side of basketball. I don't think he doesn't think it is important. He just doesn't seem to be good at putting it in practice like he is so good with numbers. It may be a priority thing. He seems to value talents more than the ill-defined "character" factor, and has not done a good job in nurturing motivation. That has come back to bite him more than once.

It doesn't help his reputation that he liked to implied in the media how he would not spare any player if the deal was right. While everyone understands that it is true with every GM. But you don't have to say it out loud in public like that. I think he has learned to be more mellow in that regard.

17. emcitymisfit

emcitymisfit Member

But the trade cannot be made contingent upon or with the understanding that dmo would be renounced or the offer not matched. That would circumvent the rules and be an illegal trade.

It might be hard to prove but would be frowned upon. Unlikely two teams want to end up on silvers doghouse for such a move.

18. Nook

Nook Member

Teams that are serious about winning don't waste time worrying about mediocre players.

bulkatron likes this.
  19. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

I have to disagree that Morey doesn't understand the human side of basketball. He's not, for example, Sam Presti who cleaned house this summer without asking Westbrook for any input as to how that might affect things. Or Hinkie, who was probably closer to what Morey is perceived to be. Morey has been generally good and I think every GM has treated players like assets at some point or another. In his early days he was definitely more cavalier about that, but lately I think he's been solid in treating players well. Examples: recent contracts for Brewer and Beverley; letting Parsons out of his deal early; extending Harden to the new max; and offering D Mo above market value (which looks to be minimal at this point) when nobody else is sniffing. This is a far cry from the way he treated players early in his tenure, some of whom are still bitter (Kevin Martin).

BigMaloe and topfive like this.
  20. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

It's not. D-Mo is a polarizing figure for some on this board for who knows what reason though.