1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Dmo to sign with Jazz if Favors misses extended time

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cyberx, Nov 28, 2016.

1. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Illegal trade.

2. cyberx

cyberx Member

Lets see what happens with Favors guys... Don't overreact :)

Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving!

3. malakas

malakas Member

Thanx a mil Cyber for the info.

Very nice. The Jazz are desperate about losing Hayward. That's the meaning of all this.

Think of the bright side. Who knows? Maybe DMO can end up being our secret agent. Sign and then not be able to play, plumetting the Jazz out of the playoffs and Hayward to Morey's lap.

4. 13 in 33

13 in 33 Member

It's hard to imagine Favor's bone bruise (2-3 week injury?) justifies offering D-Mo a deal better than the one we just pulled off the table BEFORE the unofficial Nov 23 deadline. If so, I imagine the Jazz will only sign D-Mo to a deal for just the remainder of this season to retain cap flexibility they will need for Hayward, Hill, and other free agents.

I'd be surprised to see this deal get done.

RasaqBoi likes this.
  5. basketballholic

Brewer for Diaw is not illegal.

6. Vivi

Vivi Member

I think you're absolutely right from D.Mo's perspective, but i think from Morey's perspective, eh...if there's still potentially something to gain and nothing to lose about the situation, why not?

7. DMO (DJ remix)

Brewer for anything that plays even semi-decent basketball IS illegal.

basketballholic likes this.
  8. cyberx

cyberx Member

Malakas, I think its more about losing Favors for an extended time... If they do that, they have to ride out the year with second year man Lyles, who is good, but not 100% ready... And a fat Boris Diaw. They are very confident in keeping Hay. They have committed money to this team and are going in the right direction. The Jazz are a top team IMO if they are healthy. Alec Burks has been out all year, Hayward is just recently back and Favors has barely played.. Also, Hill was hurt for an extended time.

9. basketballholic

Fail.

You don't keep a guy that has been terrible for two seasons just because he's "been playing decent the last few games." Brewer for Diaw would clear the books for next summer with Diaw's contract non-guaranteed until July 15th. And if we traded for Diaw before Dec. 23-24 (whichever date is 60 days to the deadline) Diaw could them be merged into another trade at the deadline or after the season.

hakeem94 likes this.
  10. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Thanks for the 411 cyberx

Here's what I'm wondering though: Why DMo? His game and Favors' game are complete opposites and each brings different things to the table. I guess from a talent perspective, yea, it makes sense but if the Jazz is needing a solid defender/rebounder/shot blocker I don't know how a broke backed DMo is going to fill that void.

11. J Hard

J Hard Member

Let him go, too much drama from a player whos never proven anything.

12. malakas

malakas Member

Yes but if they were't scared at all then they could wait out more Favors injury and instead extending Hill . But now they find themselves out of the playoffs. If they don't make the playoffs, as much as Hayward likes the Jazz he will have to at least consider changing teams.

Unless Favors injury is much more serious than they let out to be. Last week I think it was Lowe in his podcast that said that it seems to be more serious but I thought it was speculation.

13. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

But if he were black, pay the man right? :D

14. ico4498

ico4498 Member
    Supporting Member

15. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

The drama...is all @theGARM.
    Cy'x, how long so the Utes have to extend Hill during the season?

What is up with Diaw that he's only in shape with Parker (andPop)???

16. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

You are playing coy. The wink wink that we will not match the offer sheet on DMo in exchange for that lopsided trade is what is illegal.

17. malakas

malakas Member

Compared to Favors DMO fits next to Gobert actually better because he has better 3pnt shot. Why DMO? What else is out there available now without trading any assets for it? Even with trading assets, what are the other options? Faried? DMO fits much better.
    What the Jazz need is a pf who is better defender than Lyles (not hard to find) who can space the floor next to Gobert, but also can play C next to Lyles or Diaw when Gobert is on the bench or in foul trouble.

If it weren't for Hill's extension now that Favors is out, for 1 year guaranteed there is no harm done for them.
    The harm is that if they don't extend Hill they very well may have to overpay for him or even lose him for nothing. Mavs, Philly, Sacramento all these teams dont' have a pg.

18. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I do remember when Diaw got his first "big" contract (maybe he was with Phoenix at the time?) that he came back fat after that summer. It's like he took his new money and went and bought (and ate) every croissant and baguette he could find.

Dude has great passing skills for a big, but he does have a weakness for calories.

19. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Why does anyone think this is drama? DMo is negotiating his next contract and I doubt he cares about our history with Utah. We don't know how much he'll be offered, but if it's more than our offer could anyone blame him for signing?

20. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Im hesitant to think that Utah cares to offer more guaranteed years if the sole purpose of them offering a contract is because Favors went down in injury. If its not a multi-year deal, I think the Rockets match anything. I'd be surprised if Utah offers anything crazy here but I guess we will see... IF they even do make an offer. You guys are speculating like crazy here FYI.

Sign and trade.... LMFAO... okay.... That's coming from where exactly, and why would either team do a S&T??

heypartner likes this.