1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Dmo to sign with Jazz if Favors misses extended time

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cyberx, Nov 28, 2016.

1. vator

vator Contributing Member

Anyway to get Trey Lyles out of this? I'd rather have that guy.

2. Vivi

Vivi Member

I agree, but the Rockets offer was guaranteed for only 7 million overall...14 guaranteed for one season would still double the guaranteed money that the Rockets were offering, and he would probably play as a starter there so, i can see D.Mo sign that. But at the same time i can see Morey match that especially if the deadline to make his second year guaranteed would be after the next free agency.

3. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I don't think a SnT is an option at this point.

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Teams that are serious about winning do not let their assets walk for nothing.

DD

omgTHEpotential likes this.
  5. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

At this point I doubt Morey will match. Just from an outside perspective, DMo/his agent pretty much took down the bridge back to this organization. Did Morey lowball DMo with a $7 million a year offer? Sure but that's where DMo should have hired a REAL agent to negotiate (i.e. do his job) rather than be whiny babies and pout about it through the media.

6. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Relationship with Dmo is ruined (how many is that for Morey now?). If we match, it's only to keep a trade chip. If the trade chip has a right of refusal in the first year, and an uneconomically high salary in the second year, he's not much of a trade chip. I suppose he could be useful for salary-matching a year from now if some team is trying to get rid of a high-dollar player (that we'd want for some reason). I know Dmo has his fanboys here, but his time as a player for us is already over. If he stays, it's only as a financial asset -- an option to maybe salary-match if the stars align and the right sort of a rare opportunity comes along. Why get yourself tied in knots over keeping this very limited financial asset? Sure, Morey should go ahead and optimize whatever value he can still squeeze out of this opportunity, but the rest of us need to move on.

And, if there is a reason I've become disenchanted with Morey, it's this -- he's the common denominator in umpteen relationships gone sour. How many times did players decide that the team was radioactive when Rudy T and CD were running the show? How many players hold grudges against the Spurs because of Pop and Buford? Morey has trouble playing well with others. People say he only knows spreadsheets and not basketball because he's not a basketball guy. I don't think that's true. I think it's his inability to relate with and work with people.

7. YOLO

YOLO Member

Dmo's fanboys can't wait for something to happen as they've been building him up for the longest time to a certain level he was never at. Reality check is a wonderful thing

Htownballer38 likes this.
  8. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Agreed. Which is why we traded DMo.

This highlights the gross short-sightedness of those who were happy when Detroit backed out of the trade.

heypartner, topfive, vator and 2 others like this.
  9. Dgn1

Dgn1 Member

Oh snap,QT bout to pour Lemonade on that boy, hit him with that inner Beyonce. Go Girl!

J.R. likes this.
  10. Vivi

Vivi Member

I don't know...if there's still room to have something positive out of this why not (match)? If it's going to be a one year guaranteed only, it still means that keeping D.Mo can eventually make Anderson more expendable, and if we would be in the position to make the second year non guaranteed in any moment during next free agency well, that's another plus imo.

11. HayesIsBack

HayesIsBack Member

If they offer $14m this year, it'll easily trump the Rockets $7m and 2nd year partially guaranteed offer (that has been rescinded) no matter what the Rockets offer next year.

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Exactly how I feel.

However, this may all work out in the end, if he is about to sign an offer sheet, BJ could let Morey know and give him a chance to up his offer. Which is one area I firmly don't like about his strategy of letting others set the price....leaves a bad taste in players mouths....when do the Spurs ever do that?

DD

omgTHEpotential likes this.
  13. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I think it goes beyond numbers at this point. Both parties (Morey and BJ/DMo) have been in a standoff for months now and that relationship is hard to mend. Unless Morey decides to drop $15-$20 mill a year on DMo all of a sudden, there's no way DMo will play as a Houston Rocket beyond this year...if Morey matches any offer that is. And that's still a big IF.

14. basketballholic

Prolly not. However a Brewer for Diaw trade makes a lot of sense now, especially if executed by Dec. 23.

15. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Absolutely this.

We could have been fat and happy with the pick, but now we have all this nonsense.

16. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

I was happy when the rescinded trade led to Curry getting injured on DMo's butt sweat which led to Cleveland winning the title. But not happy when that led to Durant joining forces with GS for the four headed monster. So the book is still out on whether the butterfly effect of the failed trade was a net positive for a GS hater.

Haymitch and malakas like this.
  17. ksny15

ksny15 Member

Do not want Diaw.

18. basketballholic

BOF?

19. ksny15

ksny15 Member

Brewer has been playing decent the past few games. I would rather keep him and use his contract in a larger trade than have a guy like Diaw. Plus he would eat into Sams minutes which isn't a good thing.

20. HayesIsBack

HayesIsBack Member

We still need DMo. Imagine if either Capela or Anderson is injured for 20 games. Not one person on the roster can fill both positions as adequately as DMo.