1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Last Melo Thread? Melo comments on his departure from HOU

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Aug 2, 2019.

1. topfive

topfive CF OG

Very plausible. Or he might have thought he could find a way to work with Melo again after all these years, but then realized he just couldn't do it.

Regardless of his reasons, I think Biz-D's "retirement" was the first domino to fall. That led to team turmoil, which led to us sucking, which led to Melo being jettisoned because we needed Biz-D back, which led to CP3's long-lasting funk, which led to us not getting a #1 seed, which led to losing to the Warriors in round 2.

And here we are now, praying that Harden and Westbrook will be able to work together. Amazing.

2. J.R.

J.R. Member

Dave McMenamin: We're talking about Carmelo and what he did "wrong" and didn't fit. What about the front office that spent the summer last year figuring out whether he'd work or not, talked to Carmelo & his reps, brought him in and Daryl Morey after 10 games says "We don't need you anymore." What about that managerial style of Daryl Morey? I'm very curious why there isn't more talk about that approach.

Ramona Shelburne: This is the first time I've heard him say it was not mutual. At the time, they said they worked something out, it was mutual, he understood it wasn't working out as well. Daryl won't do anything without sign off from James Harden & Chris Paul.

McMenamin: Carmelo said he looked Chris in the eye and he said 'I knew nothing about this.'

D-rock likes this.
  3. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I want to fantasize a bit about the Heat thing...

If Melo goes to the Heat with Wade and Bron, does it work out?

If you remember, the only reason it worked out was because Bosh basically decided to put his ego and all of that aside to become a spot up shooter basically and a big for boards and defense. Chris Bosh was an All-star all-NBA player that became a role player. Wade even had to step back a little for Lebron...

Can we really see young Melo doing that? In his own words he was more concerned about scoring points than anything else, I think it doesn't work out at all. I think they all clash heads and even if they don't, Melo could not be the stretch big that Bosh became.

D-rock, Patience and YOLO like this.
  4. bj3175

bj3175 Member

Unbelievably hilarious

D-rock and Os Trigonum like this.
  5. Nook

Nook Member

For the first time in his life someone told him that they didn't want him, that he wasn't good enough...... and he didn't know how to handle that.

I doubt Morey was nasty about it, he was just honest about it.

I also don't buy that Harden, MDA and Paul didn't know..... they had eyes, they know when something isn't working.

It was a low cost gamble for the Rockets.

D-rock, Deuce, Patience and 1 other person like this.
  6. Reeko

Reeko Member

People keep talking about what Melo was, and not what he is. Him being an All-Star and a dude who got some MVP votes 1 year means nothing. The Melo that arrived in Houston was the washed version. 3rd option? Melo isn’t good enough to be a 3rd option. How is Melo still getting overrated even at this point?

7. HROZ

HROZ Member

It comes down to Melo is no longer a top 3 option with the ball in his hand. So what is he contributing?

topfive likes this.
  8. Reeko

Reeko Member

Melo and Lin need to go team up and win a championship in China.

hakeem94 likes this.
  9. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

While I'd agree that Jeff B. is the overlooked piece of the puzzle here, I don't think it's on him in any way. He doesn't just have to up and quit a day or two later. Sometimes things require thought and perspective. Like surely you give to important things in your life.

And all that said, I have no problem with what the Rockets did, given it was almost certainly a Melo vs. Jeff B decision. Perhaps not so black and white, but that's likely why Jeff B. quit, and once they convinced him to come back, he probably didn't say Melo has to go... BUT Melo is horrible defensively.... and last year was no exception. He probably was just frank - I'm back, but Melo is still here and our defense is horrible... he shouldn't be playing.

hakeem94, topfive and kjayp like this.
  10. PatBev

PatBev Member

Game recognize game and the game don’t want you back

hakeem94 and tinman like this.
  11. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

I cant believe some people refuse to see the correlation between Bzdeliks leaving and returning and Melo's addition and departure... esp given that Melo cost him his job in Denver...

all this "Morey saw it wasnt going to work out so he acted swiftly to eliminate Melo..." ...just ridiculous... yeh... pursued the guy for years, got him on a min contract - and then cut him 10 games in bc of poor play... sure... lol...

people see/believe what they want to I guess...

D-rock and topfive like this.
  12. topfive

topfive CF OG

I believe Morey wasn't nasty about it, but I'm not sure he was honest. "It's not a good fit" sounds better than "You're no longer good enough for a team to make big concessions regarding your play, and the only guy who can possibly save our defense—and therefore our entire season—hates your guts.."

#172 topfive, Aug 2, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
    Invisible Fan and HP3 like this.
  13. topfive

topfive CF OG

I read this and was like that Michael Scott meme, only instead of yelling "No! No no no! NOOOO!" I was yelling "This! This this this! THISSSSS!"

So obvious. Bzdelik may or may not have relished the revenge element, but the sequence of events makes it plain as day that he didn't want to work with Melo again.

#173 topfive, Aug 2, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
    kjayp likes this.
  14. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

The only truthful way to answer Melo is that they didn't know when.

15. ths balla

ths balla Member

McMenamin has been going in on Daryl last couple days. He would have a point if Melo signed with another team or Harden/Paul commented saying they didn't know about the situation. He is going to automatically take Melo's side of the story given his history lol

D-rock and topfive like this.
  16. pippsux

pippsux Member

Not gonna waste too much ink on this. I have one little question, that everybody has asked..... Why did no one sign him, trade for him last year and why is he still not signed.?
    ( silence.......)

It's over Johnny!

justtxyank likes this.
  17. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

I wanna say we did him wrong but no one else has signed him, so maybe we were right?

18. Kornel87

Kornel87 Member

I ssy this with no disrespect but **** Melo. What was he expecting? He got D'Antoni fired in NY, dodged the Rockets when he was still able to ball, and wanted to sit on the Rockets' bench and get paid. Lastly, he's an NBA dinosaur, my guy evolve your ****ing game, go play overseas and show that talent and then if you still got it, someone will sign you.

SIMPLE

19. gogispade

gogispade Member

LOL he went crying on TV becouse his buddies wont hire his ass.

but shiiit... DM really is a hardcore-no mercy-silent type of an assassin

hakeem94 likes this.
  20. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I don't disagree what you say in general. But I don't think it's totally ridiculous. Of course it's not just poor play in 10 games. Morey understands sample size. But it does has something to do with seeing "not going to work" in terms of team chemistry. Chemistry is not just about teammates. Sometimes it's about coaching too. I believe that Morey learned a big lesson from the Dwight experiment. Bad chemistry could destroy a whole season. Whether it's Morey's decision or the owner's, trying to remove the problem before it festered to the point of another disastrous season like '15-16 had to have some bearing on why it happened so fast.

The criticism of Morey is that he grossly underestimated the potential issue when he pursued Melo in that offseason, probably blinded by his years of obsession in star chasing.

hakeem94 and kjayp like this.