Purpose of the Testing Forum

Clutch

Administrator
Staff member
This is the testing forum we've kicked around for some time that I first mentioned in October.
Clutch said:
We've been running the same software for the ClutchFans forums for years. The main reason for that has been stability... I did not want to risk going back to the days of the board screeching to a halt or crashing at every high-traffic time because upgraded software wasn't friendly to big boards.

At the same time, I've been looking at different or upgraded software for the forum for at least three years now. I still haven't gotten over some concerns so I don't want to just switch to something new, but I am considering a way to maybe try one of those out.

What I'm thinking is perhaps trying out new forum software for just one forum.
New Functionality
This is a more modern interface, but more importantly, there is some new functionality that could enhance the experience.

Alerts (notifications) notify you with messages, like when you have gotten replies to your posts. User tagging allows you to tag a user in a post (like @BimaThug). Conversations allow you to instant message other users or groups of users. You can follow users and watch your news feed, showing you the posts of those you follow. And plenty of other things you'll probably discover along the way.

HTML is not allowed, which means you couldn't copy-paste embed code, iframes or any HTML code and have it display here. However, you will find most things -- like twitter posts, youtube videos, facebook posts, intagram, vine, etc. -- will auto-embed now when you simply post a link. BBCode functions fine.

This is just a test
This is just a testing forum. It is completely different software that we are trying out -- it is not linked in any way to the active forums on bbs.clutchfans.net and none of the posts here or account data here will be kept long-term. Your usernames and user info have been copied here (as of 7/16/2015) for you to be able to play around with it, but none of the changes made to your account on this testing software will be kept.

We plan on testing this for several weeks, maybe months. I am learning this as you are (no joke). It's nowhere close to a finished product for use on our site. The goal is to see if this would work to replace our existing forums -- both keep the same forum functionality we've had for so many years yet add to/improve/enhance the experience. The look/feel will improve (maybe even change drastically) over time as input comes in... and yes, there will be a Dark Theme when that day comes. ;)

Thanks! Feel free to log in, add an avatar and play around with it. The more it's used the better it will be.