1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[WOJ]Celtics engaged with HOU about Clint Capela

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by REEKO_HTOWN, Feb 3, 2020.

1. bmelo

bmelo Member

Its just our annual Morey „tried” for Jimmy Butler but ends up with Iman Shumpert.

Gray_Jay, ak99999, saleem and 6 others like this.
  2. rockets11206

rockets11206 Member

@jay

While I do agree Clint due to our coach loving mini mi basketball along with the fact that Russ cannot shoot should be dealt and perhaps why this makes sense. I just think that trading a player like Clint w/ two 1st round picks should be able to snatch a guy of a Tobias Harris/Aaron Gordon caliber player. Covington good as he fits is a tier below that

fckbandwagons, D-rock and bmelo like this.
  3. James.B.H

James.B.H Member

Well, Smart is currently injured, and he missed 9 games this season while Convington missed none. Smart makes 2.3 threes per game at 35.2%, Convington makes 2.2 at 34.7%, which are practically the same.

4. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

“We already likes our roster as it is. We didn’t want to shake anything up. This allows us great flexibility for next year and keeps our options open” - Morey on Friday

5. D-rock

D-rock Member

Langford plays same position as Wolves last first rounder, Jarrett Culver.

6. D-rock

D-rock Member

So I guess all the other teams that covet Covington (GSW, Bucks, 76ers, Mavs, Rockets, etc.) must have shyte for brains because obviously Lowe is be all and end all on NBA talent.

2 FRP is ridiculous but it is all about supply and demand.

clutchdabear likes this.
  7. Philter_09

Philter_09 Member

Give me Jaylen Brown god dammit.

Grizzlyshark likes this.
  8. ParaSolid

ParaSolid Member

It’s free to dream! Altho my post is admittedly uninformed.

After some informing, it looks like they’re asking for draft picks LOL

9. icewill36

icewill36 Member

none of those teams are all that interested, if you hear otherwise i guarantee its from minnesota leaking it out to try and drive up the value. philly is probably feels a bit desperate because they are underachieving so much but Roco doesnt even really fit on their roster right now. he isnt going to fix their problem. i live in dallas and the mavs definitely are not very interested in him. bucks dont need him. he is a good defender and mediocre shooter, he isn't the missing piece. he would be a good addition for us simply because we are sorely lacking in length. he isnt worth anywhere near two FRP. he isnt worth clint alone. if all we are getting is covington I still say just keep what we have and pick up a buyout, like jeff green, maybe marvin williams. cheap pick up with versatile game.

clutchdabear likes this.
  10. D-rock

D-rock Member

I see.

You only give credence to Lowe's opinions but nothing for Woj, Shams, Stein, etc.

I guess MIN request for 2 FRP is a fiction as well since Covington is essentially worthless amirite?

#370 D-rock, Feb 4, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2020
  11. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

D-Rock, assuming we did get Covington for all our picks hypothetically, what would your expectations for the team be? Championship? Do think RoCo's offenensive efficiency would improve or stay the same? Many people just say his defense is good and that will make us better, but do you really think he can take us to contender status?

As you know, I'm not a believer in his impact/cost ratio. I am curious more specifically, what the believers envision for our team if we really did get him. Please be as specific as possible with examples improved PNR Defense, shooting, rebounding? This post isn't a challenge or anything, I just want to see it. RoCo is like that 3D puzzle picture you see in the mall in the 90's where if you stare it long enough you see the 3D element. I feel like I'm 12 years old again and everybody around me can see it and enjoys it, and I just can't see it no matter how hard I look. Funny analogy actually because that's why everyone wants him , because a 3 and D player.

12. Vivi

Vivi Member

I'm going to past this here cause i don't even know where to post this anyway. The guy on the Hawks forum:

"Atlanta hasn't decided yet on John Collins. That's why they would like to bring in a center and even then, they don't mind waiting till 2021 due to his cheap caphold and the quality of the 2021 FA market."

On the Rockets specifically:

"Houston will likely do the deal no matter what. Parker has value and Houston will have options. They are hot on the trail for Mikal Bridges as well. Mikal is not publicly available but if PHX gets a great offer, they could trade him. DET asked about Bridges when talking about moving Kennard but found the price to be too high."

D-rock and lionaire like this.
  13. Vivi

Vivi Member

"Minny biggest advantage of having Cov is that he has the size and bulk plus the skill-set to better handle guys like Leonard and James. That's why his value is so high."

"Brooklyn 1st round pick will always go to Houston. Houston can keep it or move it to a place of their choice for another player. Len is locked into going to HOU but if he doesn't go to HOU and OKC gets the deal, he will likely stay in ATL.

Parker seems to be going to a 3rd or 4th team no matter what. He has interest around the league and the picks are appealing. This is even the case with OKC as well. Parker likely will not play for the Hawks this year. He will likely return this season as a member of a playoff team who needs a 6th man scorer which is what Parker is."

14. Vivi

Vivi Member

"This might not be relevant right now but we are working on a three team trade of scrubs, buyouts, and reclamation projects that might or might not happen. There is no assets, just savings and roster slots for most involve. There is strings and obviously, if a player in this deal can be moved for value, they will be moved. Chances are, one or two of these guys will be bought out."

15. icewill36

icewill36 Member

i dont see it either. even as a defender i see him as a good TEAM defender not a great individual defender. i dont see him as a guy you put on the other teams best defender and he make them really work.

as a shooter, as much as you guys like to trash danuel house, he is STILL shooting significantly better from outside than covington and thats with playing through a hurt shoulder. i just dont see what all the fuss is about with covington.

withmustard likes this.
  16. D-rock

D-rock Member

There are multitude of vids and links analyzing Covongton's elite defense all over CF, some in this very thread.

As for offensive efficiency I believe Covington will be an improvement, especially in small ball line ups.

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/index.php...-10-games-this-season-rockets-are-9-1.303569/

5 out system employed by only a handful of teams - Mavs, Rockets and the GSW championship teams. This much spacing has allowed for more uncontested shots.

Covington is at least a clear upgrade over Tucker with nerve injury in shoulder.

Again, I'm not a fan of 2 Rockets FRP for RoCo but the final trade has not been made, if it takes place at all.

BHannes2BHonest and withmustard like this.
  17. D-rock

D-rock Member

House had a back injury but hes been healthy for weeks now.

18. icewill36

icewill36 Member

Still shooting better than Covington who has been healthy all year

19. D-rock

D-rock Member

20. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, the cost was hypothetical. I wasn't trying to emphasize the cost, just coming up with a scenario where we don't lose players to see what he would add without giving up rotation minutes to the team as is.

Tucker has been awful, but his shot attempts are really to blame. He only takes 4 shots most nights, so I fear that if we get Covington he too would only put up 4 shots a game. Covington may be better guarding perimeter players, but would get bullied in the paint with his thin frame.

I feel the best we could hope for in Covington would be Playoff PJ. Shoots the 3 in 40's and comes up with every clutch defensive play. Problem is, even Playoff PJ playing his role perfectly in the playoffs wasn't enough for this team to compete last season, and by a wide margin.