1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why Morey should aggressively pursue a 3rd star: Because Harden/Howard aren't Lebron or Durant

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by meh, Jul 18, 2013.

1. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Yeah, that title seems to be wiped from the history books on CF for some reason.

Doesn't matter if Harden/Howard are all-time greats, but how much money they make. Better to try to build a more well-rounded team than to add another max player who probably isn't even worth the salary.

2. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

To me it isn't wiped from the history books, but I take away different lessons. For one, Dirk took advantage of Lebron's weakest attribute... closing things out. Be it games, be it his career as a Cav, etc. He historically found ways to screw it up. See Gm 6 against the Spurs. The Heat (and Lebron) have rectified this somewhat... Lebron has gotten better, plus the Heat added better pieces around him. But they are still vulnerable there... even more-so if Wade continues to decline and Bosh continues to suck in the playoffs.

Perhaps the more important lesson to me is yes you can win a championship - have your star players put on all-time great stretch of games, hope the other teams underperform, and hope for a ring. The Mavs are in shambles now. Harden/Dwight don't have Dirk's age... but given where the Rockets are, I'd rather they not tinker with role players around those 2 guys for the next 4-5 years while they wait to see if a combo works. And as of now, everyone else is a role player. I like what Parsons and Asik did.. in the first round... but is it enough? I don't know.

You add one of Horford/LMA/Love without losing any of Harden, Dwight, Parsons... and that's a team that should be a favorite to win the west right now, and has the potential to win multiple rings.

Why not go for that?

3. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

What tier is marcus morris on?

2 people like this.
  4. tzou88

tzou88 Member

HOOOOO SHOTS FIRED!

5. CXbby

CXbby Member

#45 CXbby, Jul 18, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  6. conquistador#11

some of you have played too much 2k13 or are too in love with the star system that the south beach divas created. All that star power and they had to rely on battier and miller to go bezerk to beat duncan(big man who is not who he was), parker(who is not lebron) and Manu, who sadly has lost five steps.

Democratic ball will triumph against the south beach divas.
    just don't leave battier and miller open over in the corners. with dwight and asik, there is no excuse to leave anyone open.

7. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

I tend to agree. We're trying to create a dynasty.

Howard/Harden//Parsons/???

8. cheke64

cheke64 Member

9. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Aldridge.

10. Drew_Le

Drew_Le Member

LOLOLOL!

11. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

SMH... People are already forgetting that a team with just ONE superstar won the championship just three years ago.

12. Patterned919

Patterned919 Member

Well obviously Morey's going to get the third star if one becomes available. He's not stupid or some dreamy eyed idealist hoping to win with a team of underdogs or some crap. We have assets that are ready to be moved with Asik/Lin if any opportunity to get a star presents itself. We're contenders with just Harden and Howard though so we have the benefit of being able to wait for the right opportunity.

13. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Morey will do whatever is best for the Rockets, but I do hope that he waits until the trade deadline, just to see where we need help. A healthy Howard is the second most productive player in the league after LBJ. Next season Harden will probably be the best SG in the NBA. Asik is arguably a top 6 center. Parsons is certainly a top 10 SF. Lin possibly will be much more effective playing with Howard. The bench looks to be very productive next year, anchored by Asik and Bev.

All that leaves is the obviously glaring hole at PF. I would argue that the Rockets do not need a top 4 PF to win multiple championships. Love, Horford, LMA are all hugely expensive. The 10th best PF in the league is possibly more than enough to put the Rockets in a position to win multiple championships. And a good PF may be available at the trade deadline for draft picks.

But as I have maintained for years, Morey will do the right move.

14. Thefabman

Thefabman Member

Whatever happened to building a great team? everybody nowadays wants 3 max superstars.

Millennials smh

15. htownbandit

htownbandit Rookie

No. Thomas>Stockton, Barkley>Malone

16. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

LOL. Miami is a 1st year Lebron typical collapse away from 3-peating.
    Don't leave Battier/James open at the 3? Sure, just let Lebron/Wade have open lanes to do what they do best.

17. liveguy

liveguy Member

Don't really agree that a 3rd star is mandatory...

It would be nice, but it isn't required.

Bosh is obviously useful for Miami, but they would still win without him mainly because the role players do their jobs to the utmost...

Bosh isn't the same Bosh he was in Toronto because there's only one ball and his nights are few and far between compared to LBJ or DW...

This team with Harden and Howard mixed in with Lin and Parsons and the properly groomed PF (either Jones of Motie) will do just fine.

Also count (at least for now) Asik making for consistent defensive post presence the entire game plus Bev, Garcia, (Jones or Motie), Smith, etc...

If everyone does what they are here for....this team will be VERY tough to beat as it is...

Getting a LMA or Love would be icing, but I honestly don't think its required...

18. liveguy

liveguy Member

Exactly.

Whatever happened to player development?

The Rox are in position to develop that star in Parsons AND have two really good prospects at PF....

They should just let that marinate.

19. conquistador#11

my point was great big man prevented lebron and wade to get easy shots. it took miller and battier going crazy from the point arch to win the title in game 7. I didn't even mention clutch freebies missed by sa and a three by miami from someone not name lebron or wade.

20. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I still feel getting a 3rd star for this current team would be overkill. There are too many things that could happen with this team that would possibly push them over that hump.

1. Omer staying
    To me and many others, it doesn't look like this is going to happen, but if he were to stay with the team i feel he at least puts us in the finals.

2. Can Harden facilitate?
    He could possibly average double-double in points and assists now with Howard and a bunch of good shooters on board. His emergence in that type of role would make him deadly.

3. Parson's progression?
    If Parsons has continued his progression, then he himself will be the 3rd star that we are looking for. Especially if we get the defensive Parsons from year one back.

4. The 2 Xfactors
    If either D-Mo or T. Jones breaks out, we have our 4 that we need. I am betting on one of these guys to have their breakout season. Or both:eek:.

Either of these things could push us over the hump. Most of them are just the natural progression of players.