1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who is the Rocket Killer?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by RedRaiderRocket, Nov 9, 2007.

1. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

That's good point.

2. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Reignman was always dominant but Schrempf and Payton were so annoying! And Perkins allowed them to play illegal D on Dream while getting away with it.

That KJ kidd was underrated.

3. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Dale Ellis

4. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

5. hatemavs4life

hatemavs4life Member

historically speaking .. Derek Harper and Dale Ellis. We basically had no answer for them pretty much ever.

now ... 1 jason terry (much to my angst), 2 derek fisher 3. carlos boozer. Hopefully come midseason and later on in the season, Scola will be the answer to Loozer. :D

6. hatemavs4life

hatemavs4life Member

Hey maestro, owe you an apology. I can bagged on you hard about petitioning Adelman to be our next coach last year. I feel kind of like that dude with egg on face but, I like it. If we can average 15 to 20 fast break points a game plus, roughly the same defense and better offensive sets? Seriously, come midseason who's gonna beat us? This is like a dream come true. Anyway, props to you for having foreknowledge that the Adelman experiment would be a good one for us and holy #@&! what has got into Bonzi? He actually was the difference maker the other night. I was wrong on this subject and you were right. Who would've ever known our D could still be this good? That was my concern. I am lovin' the NEW Rockets. :D

7. Bigpetelikeiron

john stockton & karl malone.....duh.....still hate those aholes

8. topfive

topfive CF OG

The floor at Boston Gardens.

If Ralph hadn't landed on his back there, his knees wouldn't have subsequently gone bad, and we'd be considered the Celtics of the mid-'80s-mid '90s.

9. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

Allen Iverson had some huge games against us in early 2000's.

can someone check the list of highest ppg/points scored against the Rockets?

10. pongd

pongd Member

kobe has scored alot on us

11. DrRafay

DrRafay Member

Boozer
    Terry
    Kobe - this guy always makes comebacks against us...its frustrating

12. rsx_htown

rsx_htown Contributing Member

tom gugliota ill never forget that quick inbound game winner

13. fanwq

fanwq Member

JVG the killer has gone.
    Champion of NBA- Rockets.
    Go, Rockets!

14. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

You guys are listing people who pretty much dominate(d) everyone...Kobe, KG, Gary Payton...This thread is about the guys who seemingly save their best to play the Rockets.

Derek Fisher - I don't think I've ever seen him shoot less than 50% against us.
    Jason Terry - These days, I pretty much only watch other teams when they are playing us, and that's why I don't get why the Mav's are trying to trade this guy. Every time I see him, he's dropping 30 points on 12 for 17 shooting.

Those are the two current players that stick out in my mind.

All-Time...A lot of the guys already mentioned...Ellis, Harper, McMillan, Hornacek,

15. Bosco

Bosco Member

You took the words right out of my mouth.
    Each time when I saw these guys playing us, they showed a good exciteness and vigor.

16. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Current, non-star players:
    - Jason Terry
    - Derek Fisher
    - David West (okay seriously, WHO'S GUARDING him? can they D up on this guy already?)

Current, star players:
    - Boozer, nuff said
    - Chris Paul
    - Deron Williams
    - Baron Davis, Hornets and Warriors last second game winning shots.
    - Kobe, which is surprising kind of. Even back then with "2nd leading scoring 2-guard" behind Kobe and halfway decent defender Cuttino Mobley on the Rockets, and overall the Rocket guards supposedly giving them fits, he'd still torch us for 45 with dunks in Yao's face and spark improbable come from behind efforts.

All TIME:
    '86 thru 96' Sonics -
    Dale Ellis
    Ricky Pierce
    Sedale Threatt
    Nate McMillan
    Sam Perkins
    Michael Cage
    Derrick McKey
    Gary Payton,
    Shawn Kemp
    Detlef Shrempf
    merely followed the already loud script)

players with Sonics ties who carried out their assignments with them or on other teams:
    Dana Barros
    Avery Johnson
    Tom Chambers
    Eddie Johnson
    Dale Ellis
    Ricky Pierce (yep, these 2 again)

All others, All Time:
    - John Stockton
    - Jeff Hornacek
    - Toni Kukoc
    - Tom Gugliotta
    - Loy Vaught (the original David West what-the-heck mode)
    - Danny Ainge (just his unlikeability was enough)
    - Nick Van Exel

Special mention to:
    - Derek Harper, him putting the vice grip clampdown on Kenny Smith helped usher in the newer rules to disallowed arm-barring and hand checking to make today's NBA.
    - Nick Anderson. Was once an ULTIMATE Rockets killer believe it or not. Playing in expansion Orlando used to be very difficult for the Rockets. Until that oh so unforgettable sequence of un-clutchdom that will foreover go down in Rockets history... :D
    - Larry Bird...talk about supreme Rockets killing, Larry Legend not once but TWICE stopped the Rockets from attaining their first titles in the 80's. With a dazzling array of offensive execution bewildering to my young eyes. He had to have had 2 total turnovers all time against the Rockets, and has a follow up shot off a miss thats one of his signature highlight moves. The guy went BEHIND the BACKBOARD and shot OVER the darn thing for a bucket against them for Pete's sake.

Alright I had too much time on my hands today...thats my list

17. OrangeRowdy95

OrangeRowdy95 Contributing Member

I don't understand D-Fish. What has he done against us? He's had decent games in meaningless games vs us. He did a good job on Tracy last year, but we lost that series because of our bench, not because of Fisher. Fisher is NOT a Rocket killer. I'd put the Jazz and Sonics as number 1.

18. monkeyboy32

monkeyboy32 Contributing Member

sam perkins' 3's are still haunting me to this day

19. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Harpring seems to get up for us. Mike James was a Rocket killer after we traded him :p.

20. YallMean

YallMean Member

Boozer had horrible games against us. Terry, maybe, but I am not too concerned with him.

The real killers are

Dirk/Terry combo
    Ducan/Parker/Manu combo
    Williams/Boozer
    Nash/Amare

and see the trend, elite quick guards+mobile/deadeye bigs beat us.