1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What is, in hindsight, your worst basketball opinion ever?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by arno_ed, Jan 7, 2019.

1. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I have been wrong about pretty much everything.

burlesk, D-rock and Nook like this.
  2. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

I thought Aaron Brooks and Carl Landry were the future of the organization. I also thought Melo would work out to some degree.

My best basketball opinion though?

I can't wait for like another 20 years to go by and everyone is sick of the game. They'll move to bigger arenas after NFL dies off and will introduce bigger courts that have the 3 point line where the old college line used to be at the top of the key, a 4 point line at 25 ft. and a circle at midcourt worth 5 points. Games are played 7 on 7.

7 on 7, 5 pointer basketball. Don't act like you're not interested.

burlesk likes this.
  3. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

#63 deb4rockets, Jan 7, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
  4. Nook

Nook Member

I didn't think that Dragic would be as good as he has been. I felt he was more of a 12-15 point a game scorer with some limitations.

A long time ago, I believed Qyntel Woods would be a long time all star if he worked on his game. He never worked on his game, but his laziness was so bad that I don't think he ever would have been an all star.

I thought that James Harden was going to be a Mitch Richmond clone....... instead he turned into a cyborg version of a Jerry West and Adrian Dantley love child that ***** out 30 point games on the regular.

I thought that Andre Drummond would end up being an exceptional defensive center..... he isn't.

I thought Seth Curry would become a 15-18 point a game scorer with bad defense but a match up problem for teams off the bench.

I thought that Jimmy Jackson would always be a punk ass b**** and he became a really strong leader and veteran player.... and a coaches favorite.

I am sure there are more....

5. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

My most recent one: thought Melo would put us over the top. What a disaster that had been.

6. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

7. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Also, I prefer to look up other people's ****ups rather than my own :p.

8. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

More of a macro item versus player specific......in hindsight I don't think I put enough "emphasis" on player BB IQ as it relates to their athletic abilities. The more I watch basketball, the more I understand how that translates on the court. You can try to trick yourself that a "new system" or another coach can reach the player, but it might be hopeless.

There are players that "look the part" and are easy to get tantalized by...but if you can't put the concepts together to "harness" the athletic ability to reach your ceiling....then it is worthless.

Nook, mike2k132 and heypartner like this.
  9. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

Pippen would lead the Rockets to a championship.

Keith Van Horn would be better than Tim Duncan.

burlesk likes this.
  10. alethios

alethios Member

I thought we could turn Melo into the 3rd star player we so desperately needed.

burlesk likes this.
  11. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

I honestly believed Dan Langhi and Jermaine Taylor would be decent NBA starters.

But really, just about anything posted by jopataholic qualifirs for this thread!

12. jamisonrocket

jamisonrocket Member

Thought Melo was the key to push us over the edge against GSW

burlesk likes this.
  13. jacoby

jacoby Member

I stopped talking to a High School friend because he said "Patrick Patterson has no upside".

burlesk, fryjol7, Pat and 2 others like this.
  14. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I thought DMo was gonna be the next Dirk.

burlesk likes this.
  15. MystikArkitect

Stromile.

Mathloom and burlesk like this.
  16. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I can't remember mine, but know I have plenty. One I hope turns out wrong is Harden in the playoffs, where after the Spurs series I was on the "this dude kind of disappears or struggles in the playoffs bandwagon" and I may have a bet with someone that Harden wouldn't be winning a ring in the next 4 years and I made that bet while espousing the concept of moving Harden for Giannis if you could - hope I'm wrong on that!

That said, on June 26, 2013 Chandler Parsons might have been the better player. Certainly equal to that point. Sure a prediction is a prediction, and you were wrong... but Chandler did get even better.

And while its definitely on trend to bash Chandler for his contract(s), his IG posts, his persona, whatever... I don't think anyone thinks he's been faking his injuries, right. Rather, it seems like right now he's been killing it in practice and just actually wants to play.

My point: if he had never gotten injured I see no reason why Parsons wouldn't have been like a 20 ppg scorer on solid efficiency with solid rebounding and passing. He was that in his third year, just at 16.6 a game.

You still would have been wrong, but not insanely wrong. People here thought Melo was the answer, MCW could be a good player on this team, and Marquisse Chriss would somehow work out really well, lol.

burlesk likes this.
  17. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Perfect player case in point to what I was saying.

18. biff17

biff17 Member

that's not really a defense, lol.

DreamShook likes this.
  19. forchette49

forchette49 Contributing Member

Never thought JJ Reddick would be able to stick around in this league after watching LSU shut him down by throwing longer defenders at him. Right about Morrison and Fredette though.

Love I thought came out too early as well, never thought he was gonna be able to bang with the big boys down there on a consistent basis either.

Screaming at my smartphone at the time for Morey to grab Leonard after he slid. I literally turned off my after the Morris twins went back to back.

20. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

My worst?

I thought the Lebron hype was too much and believed Carmelo should have been the #1 pick in 2003 because he was more talented and had won a championship in college.

burlesk, rockbox and SemisolidSnake like this.