1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Canadians' "ONLY IN AMERICA" Top 10 List

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by giddyup, Jul 29, 2014.

1. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

There may be some minor problem with details, depending on the original date of research and publication but since you "guys" are just taking shots at me, I would just interpret that as an inability to label these as outright lies. Is that right?

2. Kyakko

Kyakko Contributing Member

You got to know it was written with an agenda. It looks like a chain email that list items without any context or counters. It's got omissions, and it's clearly framed in a certain way.

3. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Only in America can you spend 2-3 times as much per citizen per year on healthcare than any other country all with much worse health outcomes and still believe a single payer system is a bad idea.

Oh and Lmao at # 1. Let's ignore sales, property taxes etc and just look at income taxes FTW.

4. giddyup

So is it grotesquely inaccurate or just resented?

5. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

Inaccurate. Grossly inaccurate. To the point of hilarity.

SOURCE: I am a Canadian.

6. giddyup

Cute but not exactly the question I was asking. I nearly deleted the Canadian referenced framework. Wish I had now because it has become the focus.

People are taking shots at that and at me but ignoring the meat.

7. Northside Storm

Is this the meat?

It's rancid.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_tax_revenue_as_percentage_of_GDP

If it's an absolute measure, it means nothing. If it's a relative measure, it's blatantly false.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

K I'll start. Number 9 states that racism and discrimination is non-existent because we have a black president. So giddyup, according to your logic since Pakistan had a woman president, ill treatment of women is now non-existent in Pakistan.

9. Kyakko

Kyakko Contributing Member

It's inaccurate as it's disingenuous to the reader. Put it this way I can rewrite it like this:

-Only in America... could politicians outwardly say companies should have the same rights as people.

-Only in American can Blacks make up 15% of the population but take up 50% of our prisons.

-Only in American can 50% of senators become lobbyist for big companies after leaving office.

... I can go on, but you get the idea.

It's disingenuous because it's not meant to inform, but rather to just sway someone who's either mentally lazy, set in their opinions and want validation or just not too intelligent. I'm not even arguing about the politics in either direction, 'just pointing out it's pretty obvious.

10. Northside Storm

Actually, the statistic is the top 25%.

Breakdown of Income and Income Taxes Paid by Category[11]
    Percentage of
    Income Tax Paid
    Top 1% Over $380,345 38%
    Top 5% Over $159,619 59%
    Top 10% Over $113,799 70%
    Top 25% Over $67,280 86%

More tellingly, this obscures the fact that the top 400 income earners in America have an effective tax rate near the fourth quintile with an average pre-tax income of $94,100, despite the fact that the average pre-tax income in this group is $344 million. . This is because most of that group derives about 80% of their income from capital gains---denoting an exclusive access to financial tricks and tools where the majority of shares are held by a very few rich. This ignores the multi-trillion dollar offshoring economy for those who seek to avoid taxes altogther. That is the issue at stake here when people talk about "paying a fair share".

#30 Northside Storm, Jul 29, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2014
  11. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

A good read even though there is bias just like the NYTimes.

12. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Miller flipped red after 9/11 for sure, but like Andy Rooney, George Carlin (!) and other career writers falsely attributed to crap like this he would never actually be this lazy, uncreative, petty or even bigoted, at least in my view. It's a shame he narrowed his subject matter, I honestly think late '80s Weekend Update is one of the more influential comedic programs of the last 30 years and he could have probably been on the short list for Letterman.

13. nickb492

nickb492 Contributing Member

I thought this was going to be a fun thread about Americans not getting gravy and French fries. Not a sucky thread like mayonnaise and French fries.

14. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

*******, go home.

15. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Nothing to dispute because its from a CHAIN EMAIL.
    Try a more credible source next time. But I guess there was a reason you avoided naming a source in the original post.

16. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think he is mixing up Kansas with Canada.

17. giddyup

That's not what it says; it says governmental racism not racism as evidenced by individuals.

18. giddyup

I think the absolute measure is what was being cited. Why does that mean nothing?

19. giddyup

Things I have received via "chain" email (whatever that is supposed to mean): The Gettysburg Address, a copy of the Preamble to the US Constitution, The Sermon on the Mount, and a copy of Dan Gilbert's letter blasting LeBron's decision to "takes his talents to South Beach."

20. giddyup

See, I told you so.