1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets to go after Josh Smith/Millsap next year

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cyberx, Mar 15, 2013.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

If they are not happy with McHale, are they gonna go after a new coach (Stan Van Gundy?) in the summer?

2. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

ok, he is a lawyer. you won't know if he tells you truth or not but logic is good and always there:grin::grin::grin::grin::grin:

3. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

I've seen Smith botch at least 3 close games this year by making a boneheaded play in the final minutes and it is concerning, HOWEVER....

looking at it objectively, he does fill one of our biggest needs which is defense. I am sure there are pace adjusted issues with these stats but in the past 4 years, Smith is sporting defensive win share numbers in the range of 3.5-5, which is significantly higher than anyone on the team (Asik is our highest with 2.6). Same with points per 100 possessions, Smith's range has been 96-102, while our best has been Asik with 103.

Furthermore, I can't help but notice than players tend to play better in Houston than they do anywhere else for some reason (Brooks, Lowry, Dragic, Scola, Landry, Hayes, etc.) which leads me to believe we are better utilizing specific skill sets in our system.

While Smith isn't my first choice, and it will probably leave us with a few face palms throughout the year, I think it would without a doubt make us significantly better and I would be excited.

2 people like this.
  4. cyberx

cyberx Member

Never said McHale was going to get fired. People look too much into things. All I meant is they question some of his rotations... They are dreading that Sampson is going to stick with an NBA team soon and leave his assistant position.

This is the day they dread.

5. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

OP, taking your Post and parsing it - - if they are right about DMO and if they are wanting a legit 5 as b/u, then what is the effect of Smith/Milsap? It does not add up. Smith/Milsap take 36 mpg at the 4 (ouch, double ouch on J-Smoothely) leaving 12 for DMO?

The scheme calls for a stretch 4 and they want Smith/Milsap? Do. not. ever. give. J. Smooth. carte. blanche. at. the. s-t-r-e-t-c-h 4! E-v-e-r!

I am not questioning the OP, just not buying the logic.

And unhappy with McHale? I can hardly imagine... :rolleyes:

6. holly1985

holly1985 Member

It's true. Morey mentioned it in an interview. Then Parsons denied it in his Q&A on twitter. :grin:

7. cyberx

cyberx Member

All that...!

8. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

To recruit Dwight, no doubt.

9. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

i'd much rather have millsap.

10. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I'm gonna continue to be patient with McHale and see how things play out this year, but I really like Kelvin Sampson. I think he's a good NBA coach waiting to happen.

11. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

I'll believe it when I see it.

12. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

You mentioned you were looking over the numbers. What kind of ballpark figure are they making off sponsorships due to Lin?

13. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

The specifics are that they cannot redo his contract under the CBA, IIRC. Bima went through the rules in an article.

Edit: here it is: http://rockets.clutchfans.net/3455/chandler-parsons-contract-analysis/. There might be a way to do it, but only after 2014 and who knows what the math will look like by then. We'll see.

#53 Carl Herrera, Mar 15, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2013
  14. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

i think morey puts more on finch. it was one of reasons ra left.

15. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Do non-guaranteed long term contracts exist?

16. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

From reading some of those pages you don't seem legit at all......in fact you were caught lying when in one post you said you talked to Hennigan and the other you said you had never talked to him.

Besides that if you were a true insider why would you take the time and try to convince everyone that you are. Most "true" insiders post what they have heard and leave it at that....convincing is not even necessary.

I call BS.

17. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

He's legit. If I remember correctly, this misunderstanding was that his employer spoke to Hennigan, not him directly. So he said they spoke to Hennigan, but he never directly talked to him.

18. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

You do realize that when someone gets caught up in a lie they can easily change their story to make it sound believable?

19. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

Yes and the remaining years on Parsons contract indeed are fully non-guaranteed, however I highly doubt the Rockets will "redo" Parsons' contract. I'm not even sure it's possible.

Bima wrote in legth about Parsons contract here: http://rockets.clutchfans.net/3455/chandler-parsons-contract-analysis/

Don't have the time to go through it myself right now.

1 person likes this.
  20. RedDynasty

RedDynasty Member

Confused. I remember the last time this guy was on. Did anything he said ever happen?