1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets made last minute attempt to acquire Amare

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ivenovember, Feb 18, 2010.

1. Stone Cold Hakeem

Stone Cold Hakeem Contributing Member

CD would've pulled the trigger. Probably got Nash too.

2. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

Stupid deal. Why destroy your team for a rental? Hopefully we learned our lesson from Artest, that trade really wasn't that good now that you think about it.

3. Trackball

Trackball Member

Fair point. I've hated trading for expiring contracts--even in video games--ever since this whole city got sooo excited after Randy Johnson was traded to the Astros...only for him to bolt the instant he could.

But hey, this is a different game with different free-agency rules.

4. baldeagle40

baldeagle40 Member

Exactly right. We do not need him that much. By not moving him now, they have put themselves in a desperate situation, just as a Walsh did by saying the Knicks Will get 2 max players. I like Amare but there are other choices out there too, and come this summer we will be in bargaining postion over any of the teams who NEED a sign and trade just to get some value for their stars leaving.

I love our team and want to see how the new pieces fit now, so we'll know where we MUST upgrade later. I really just want to do whatever we can to make sure the KNICKS do not get 2 grade A guys. That would be hilarious and good for our new picks value.

5. liamrock

liamrock Contributing Member

The guys on 610 asked Morey this morning about hypothetically passing on a trade due to the other team's insistence on no physical and Morey totally played it off like a pro and said that he wanted to focus on the here and now and not yesterday.

Would have been close interesting with Amare, but it seems as though our depth would have been hurt (who would have backed up Amare at PF?

6. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

And given Nash a 4 year, $200 Million extension.

7. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

I would of love to have Amare, but in the grand scheme of thing is that the Rockets tried. The NBA says they are losing money, but Rockets with attendance being down are willing to try to improve the team which says a lot about this franchise compare to the Stros and somewhat the Texans.

8. thegame_2234

thegame_2234 Contributing Member

STEVE KERRR = ASSSSSS H

9. HeyDude

HeyDude Contributing Member

If he was signed for next year, I'm pretty sure Morey would've pulled the trigger, as it is, this is not the year we're going for it all, its next year and beyond....To give up Scola and Battier for only this year would be fruitless....

10. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

artest = 2nd rd playoff... rental or not

11. burnnotice

burnnotice Rookie

You are not reading between the lines. Battier makes almost $7.5 million next season. He is a tough contract to move. Amare' is going to be one of the highest courted free agents next year. Everyone who wants him is going to have to bid.

The Rockets clear Battier's 7.5 to offset picking up Jeffries. As I said on another thread, that Jeffries deal is going to hurt The Rockets next season. The draft picks were not worth that. If Morey could have potentially turned one of those picks + Scola + Battier into Amare' and his expiring contract, he would be redeemed. Maybe that was the plan all along, but it didn't work, in this case, I give him props for attempting something like that.

Scola would be the odd man out. They have to pay him at least $7 Million to keep him, and he may get better offers. Amare' was an upgrade. So, barring any trades, The Rockets will have the exact same team next season with the addition of Yao, who at this point is a question mark as to whether he will be the same player.

This Amare' deal gave them all kinds of possibilities. If they let Amare' walk, they could go after any other big name out there.

The real loser in this is Phoenix. I can't think of 2 players on The Rockets other than Chuck Hayes who fit as well with Steve Nash.

12. mogrod

mogrod Contributing Member

One of the league's premier wing defenders who only has one more year left on his contract is hard to move? Seriously?

Regardless if they were to "clear" Battier's salary, they are under the LT line for the season. They saved money on this deal. Jeffries is a $7+ mill expiring contract after this season is done. How is that not a potential asset? And the draft picks are not worth that? They could both be lottery picks to wither bring in more talent or used in later deal(s) to improve the team.

IF they got Amare and he walked, it doesn't mean they automatically have the cap space to offer max money to a star player. Have you not read Bima's posts on this all season? And you proposed deal... who's to say they can't make the same deal this offseason to get a player they want in a sign and trade? One that IS committed and signed for multiple years.

Really? Chuck is the only Rocket player that you could see playing well with Nash? Come one, you can't be serious. It seems your logic is a little screwy my friend.

13. spaceage808

spaceage808 Member

lol just ignore that guy. reasoning is futile.