1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets made last minute attempt to acquire Amare

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ivenovember, Feb 18, 2010.

1. joesr

joesr Member

I havent tried it in the machine thing but I still dont think thats enough money. Dont know how much cap they have either for willingness to take more then sending out.

Jef makes 12 mil atm.

Battier out of those 3 makes the most at a bit more then 7mil. adding Brooks 2mil (a little less I think) and you got about 9 mil.

But maybe one pick (not picks) could make them bite?

On top of that we would have to add more to our contract for bringing Rubio down here.

Wow that would be fun.

I know it would demeaning to ask Yao to play 6th man ( I would ask him to reduce minute to prolong NBA life and he is my fav player so dont think I am just hating).

Rubio/
    KMartin/
    Ariza/
    Scola/
    Jefferson/

(6th) Ming

(G) Lowry (if resign)
    (F) Hill/Jefferies

Picks! Lets get Cousins? NY will surely be down there. BAM

2. worzel gummidge

Thread title could have also been "Suns made last minute attempt to acquire anything for Amare" going by the reported story.

LOL at Suns wanting the Rockets to waive any physicals.

Suns are going to have an interesting free agency.

3. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

May not be completely crazy:

Jefferson - 17.7/9.6/1.9
    Brooks - 19.2/2.5/5.0

Obviously different positions but Brooks is just as legitimate a scorer. Plus he's under contract for 2 years at very little $ while Jefferson is making big bucks now and through 2012/2013. You could throw in an expiring like Battier along with maybe Scola and a sweetener like Buddinger or Hill?

Rubio = a lotto pick which we could now offer, plus if doesn't want to play in Minn they don't have a lot of leverage and need to move him for something.

So Rubio/Jefferson for Brooks/Battier/Jeffries/Hill and a pick

Lowry/Rubio
    Martin/Buddinger
    Ariza
    Jefferson/Scola
    Yao

There's potential here....

4. D-rock

D-rock Member

Amar'e would have made this team a contender THIS season. Losing BOTH Bat and Scola would have hurt. A lot, but dang, Amar'e friggin Stoudemire.

Lowry/Brooks
    Martin/Budinger
    Ariza/Jeffries
    Hayes/Hill
    Stoudemire/Andersen

5. HTown_TMac

HTown_TMac Member

how mad would tmac been had we gotten stat? lmao

6. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

The Suns leverage only decreases the longer they wait.

7. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Dude, if Rasheed Wallace can win a ring, anybody can.

8. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Stoudemire is sort of the PF version of Kevin Martin to me (though probably ast a higher level). Not a great defender or a super duper star like Lebron James, but is very valuable for his ability to score at a high rate and high efficiency.

9. brian_chapman

brian_chapman Member

amare is either not healed properly or on drugs

Amare is my favorite player in nba,so I am crushed we didnt get him. However I dont believe the story "suns wanted to forego physicals to get deal done in time"..

Many deals are done at the deadline with players taking the physical sometimes the next day. The more appropriate story is probably "suns wanted to decline physicals and rockets wanted to examine amare and suns called it off". Thats what I read at bottom of espn and that makes more sense.

Now as to why I started my post, my wife knows nothing of basketball but works in medical field . I told her what happened to my favorite player and she instantly says the suns wanted no part of physicals because we (the rockets) would find something. Either he has really bad eyesight,improperly healed microfracture,or will fail a drug test.

Suns would not want this info leaked, because it would ruin their chances of trading him this summer.Plus amares agent might have something to say also.

The rockets arent going to give 80 million over 4 years to a guy with a failed drug test or bad knees. Suns are hiding something.

The Rockets WANTED amare,and the rockets propsed the deal,and Morey knows all the rules of physicals,timing of physicals,deadline trades etc..., why would Morey propose a last minute trade for amare and ask for a physical if the suns are saying that physicals cant be done in time? It doesnt add up.

I trust morey,. Morey knows all the rules and asked for the trade knowing ahead of time a physical could be had otherwise morey WOULD HAVE NEVER OFFERED THE TRADE in the first place.

This new story of suns saying "we wanted it to go through but rockets ruined it by asking for physicals with no time left " is BULL CRAP. The rockets already knew that asking for the trade would be accepted by the league including physicals. Suns balked. They dont want a physical or amare doesnt.

My guess, drugs. he obviously plays great,so I think his knees are fine. Why would morey ask for a physical if the league rules wont permit it in time? Suns balked.

10. lalala902102001

Amare will amost certainly opt out for a max contract next summer -- so if the Rockets traded for him it would have just been the remainder of this season unless we were willing to go over the luxury tax threadshold to give him the max.

11. rocketfan20

rocketfan20 Contributing Member

Good points! There's got to be more to this than the reasons being reported.

12. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

Wow! If Amare landed in Houston, this site would explode, and you couldnt enter for a week! hehe

13. albuster

albuster Member

All this love for Amare is mind boggling. He could not get his team to the finals with Nash, Joe Johnson, The Matrix, etc., and many think he will take the Rockets to the promised land? Unbelievable.

I'll take the current Rockets with Yao next year and I bet they will make a loud noise in the playoffs. Amare is more selfish than McGrady and that tells you something about the guy. No to Amare.

14. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Why even include Joe Johnson? He did not play on those Suns team then.

Also...That had a lot to do with Spurs and Mavs dominance then, they were a Elite team then and Amare was putting up big numbers against the likes of Tim Duncan.

15. forchette49

forchette49 Contributing Member

Also, if Amare failed the physical after they completed the trade, wouldn't the trade just be null and void (ala, Shareef Abdur-Rahim to the Nets from the Kings a while back)?

Don't all player physicals happen AFTER the paperwork has been filed to the league anyways? :confused:

16. Rox Addict

Rox Addict Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The Rockets should have waived the physicals to get Amare ! Whats with all the hate on Amare the guy is a true beast and with Yao coming back next year the Rockets would definately be one of the favors to win it all plus if he failed his physical later the trade would be null and void ala Tyson Chandler ?

17. albuster

albuster Member

Check your facts. Joe Johnson played with the Suns before he signed with the Hawks.

18. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Did I say he didn't play with the suns :confused:

He played that one year they were nearly swept by the Spurs and then was gone. He was not a fixture when the team became one of the Powers of the West, they moved on without him and he moved on without them also.

Stoudamire played 2 years with Joe Johnson IIRC.

19. SJRocket

SJRocket Member

Rockets made last hour push for Stoudemire

This would've been interesting had it gone through...

http://espn.go.com/nba/dailydime/_/page/dime-100218/daily-dime

According to one source the Rockets tried to make a last-hour run at Stoudemire, offering Shane Battier, Luis Scola, Brian Cook, a Rockets draft pick and one of the picks the Rockets acquired from the New York Knicks. Because of the lateness of the hour the Suns wanted to waive the physical examinations for the players involved. The Rockets didn't want to do that for Stoudemire, who has had two major knee surgeries, so the proposal died and the Suns didn't make the long list of satisfied customers.

20. SJRocket

SJRocket Member

Ugh, someone already posted this - please delete!