1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Marcin Gortat?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by haydenfisher342, Nov 24, 2012.

1. haydenfisher342

Dont anyone go hating on me but I feel Marcin Gortat should be one of our Targets. I know hes one of the best big men to come of the Pick and roll and hes an amazing defender and re bounder. Hes relativity cheap too with around 14 mill left on his contract over the next two years. Hes expressed his disinterest in the Suns so I feel a couple of good pieces should land him. This still leaving us enough room for a max contract this summer.

What you guys think? Though hes considered a center he would have no trouble playing the 4 spot. If we do get a star PF he could easy play 6th man giving Asik ample rest time while still providing offense and defense when Asiks presence isnt there.

1 person likes this.
  2. cheke64

cheke64 Member

We need a Rebounding Power Forward with Balls.

3. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

He wants to be featured more on offense. I don't think he'd be a fan of being the 6th man.

4. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

Does he have some sort of 10-15ft jumper and post-up game? If so, he would be a nice and relatively cheap player to go after. He a really good P&R guy which is something we don't really have here.

5. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I would never hate on you for that suggestion. A Gortat/Asik combo would relegate all opposing offenses to jump-shots. I'm a huge Gortat fan and I think their games compliment each other. Asik is a better defender, Gortat is better on offense. They both block shots, they both rebound. I could even see Gortat sliding over to the 4 when there's an advantage in having both Asik and Gortat on the floor. Would love to have the Polish-Turk Twin Towers!

6. junk151

junk151 Member

Maybe we can package Asik and Lin for Dragic and Scola.

7. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

8. prs325

prs325 Member

Im sure the Suns would want a center back in return and I would not want to part with Asik.

9. BeeBeard

BeeBeard Member

Yes.

Also yes, although it's not as good as Scola's. I don't know if that's a huge knock on Gortat, since Scola is one of the best post scorers in the league and just has a problem with a little thing called "defense" but you get what I'm saying. Gortat is a bit "meh" on the blocks. I've seen hook shots, I've seen up and unders, and I've seen drop steps, and it more or less ends there.

Possibly. I'm of the opinion that Steve Nash as ballhandler in the pick N roll basically made Gortat what he is today as a pick N roll screener. It wouldn't the first time Nash has been kingmaker to a big before. (Amare Stoudemire, step forward.) These guys don't have a stellar track record once separated from Nash.

That said, he's proven to be an excellent defender, and a big with a little more scoring utility alongside Asik would not be a terrible thing to have.

10. haydenfisher342

Ya sorry didnt see a thread already based on Marcin. But ive always liked his game, I think with Gortat on our roster and at the 4 spot it will provide alot of good options.

1. Lin would get alot of assists and get in the Linsanity groove
    2. Pick and roll guy that actually has a Jumpshot and can finish strong
    3. He can pass, giving Asik some nice easy dunks (hopefully he will finish)
    4. Open 3's, if hes an inside presence 3's are gunna happen
    5. Harden wont need to Iso 100% of the time

11. haydenfisher342

O and our defense. Douglas Parsons Gortat Asik. whos going to score with those guys out on the floor

12. Horry4theWin

Horry4theWin Member

Won't happen due to amnesty rules:

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/stor...zer-darko-milicic-possible-amnesty-candidates

13. BeeBeard

BeeBeard Member

14. bleedrockets

bleedrockets Rookie

Anderson Varejao would better suit this team IMO

15. Billionzz

Billionzz Contributing Member

???
    Yea we know Parsons can't score since he only had 31 points against the Knicks.

16. haydenfisher342

Im talking defense, like as in what team will score on us, Im not a rocket basher

17. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

18. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

I would be all over Gortat if we could get him without giving up Asik and of course Harden. I agree with prs325 that it would probably be too hard to get him.

19. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

Don't fear. I've taken DNA samples of both Anthony Mason and Charles Oakley and shipped to some friends on Kamino. They assure me that a fleet of ultimate power forwards will be delivered on time.

20. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Is Gortat quick enough laterally to guard PF's on the perimeter? It doesn't matter if you have two great shot blockers, when the other team can ISO one, get him in foul trouble in the first quarter, and have him spend most of the game on the bench.

It seems to me that Gortat could do it offensively. Between 16 feet and the 3 point line, he shot .442 last year, on 43 attempts. That isn't that many attempts, but I'm going to guess that that is a function of the fact that as a center he wasn't placed in position to take those shots too often.

Also, he seems pretty mobile, but how much of his shot blocking is the Hakeem-type weak side help blocking where he comes out of nowhere to put it in the second row, and to what degree is it more like Deke's "I'm a big, immobile wall" type. To excel with blocking shots on the floor with Asik at the same time, he would need to be primarily the former, not the latter.

I think it would be a pretty bold move, given the way that NBA front courts have actually been shrinking. Intuitively, I like the idea, but I wonder whether my mind is making the calculation based on how the NBA was 15 years ago, not how it is today. Again, my impression of Gortat is that physically, he is not a big immobile blob. He kind of reminds me a bit of Alonzo Mourning, who I think could have pulled it off if he had been paired back in the day with a top tier traditional center.

Whether you can get him or not, I don't know, but I guess you would probably come up with a list of potential difference makers whom you might be able to fit into the current roster. Only at that point, should you really start to explore whether you can pry them away from their current team.

#20 Ottomaton, Nov 24, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2012