1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Are the Pelicans toast? We're watching Thunder at Pelicans -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Marc Spears - Loser: Houston Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by MarioKissoDeath, Jun 29, 2012.

1. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

plenty of time for morey to dream. the current roster will attract no superstar free agent. with this roster, no team wants to trade with us. with our reputation of being the best of non playoff teams, no team want to trade their franchise to rox for future 1st round picks.

2. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

In a vacuum it's a disappointing draft. But incomplete is the only grade you can give it in my opinion because this has to be judged in the context of the rest of the offseason. This team needs an identity.

If Les will let Morey blow this thing up, this was a great draft. We got 3 talented, young, versatile players. All 3 were just sophomores in college.

However, more than anything the draft has to be looked at in the context of the offseason. If the team manages to actually go youth movement (trade Martin, Scola, Lowry, use cap space to take someone's bad contract+picks), I actually like these guys.

With the drafting of Lamb, that's probably not good news for Courtney Lee. But I have no clue how the rest of the offseason will play out.

3. cardpire

cardpire Member

eh, to me it doesn't make sense handing out a bad draft grade based on speculation that we were hoping to acquire dwight howard. the draft pick haul should be graded as its own entity.

that said, as a rockets fan, i could almost care less how good the draft picks are. morey has absolutely ruined the franchise if all 3 of those players are on the roster when the season starts.

4. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

More evidence that Morey has the Rockets afloat in the Gulf with no life jackets on board. That tells you what he thinks about his prior draft picks. Because I don't see a future for Pat pat, Morris, in a Rocket uniform.

5. stipendlax

stipendlax Member

This.

6. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Cost???? They were our future, what did I miss....? :confused:

7. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I agree no superstar FA is likely come, and a superstar trade isn't likely either.

Morey doesn't need D-Howard. He needs to make smaller moves, which I think he will.

8. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

They're only failures if the balls completely in your court. Since it takes 2
    (or more) to tango, it's not a failure. You cant fail at something that relies heavily on something out of your control.

9. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Yeah, I'm sure we're really going to regret it when both these guys turn into perennial All-Stars...

Agreed, but reading the interview with Le$ this morning, I don't think that's going to happen. Like every other player on our roster, they're just biding their time until Morey can flip them into something else that he can later flip into something else, and so on, and so on, and so on.......

1 person likes this.
  10. Raven

Raven Member

Morey's scheme requires the cooperation of other people, specifically general managers, free agents, and possibly even agents, but rebuilding the traditional way leaves you in charge of your own destiny. You don't have to trade up, because you already are up.

It was a horrible season, and we'd probably have Drummond today if we'd simply lost an extra dozen games. Look are Portland's record the last month of the season. They understand how the NBA works, and are rewarded with Meyers because of it. Morey and Les refuse to accept reality and have a roster that is probably the joke of the league, because they keep trying to force a square peg into a round hole.

11. kcarro

kcarro Member

Losers we have become

Mr Morey is the only GM I know that gets more pub for what he did not get accomplished than for what he did get done. It would have been better for him to not make these false promises than to get our hopes up for nothing. The truth is no superstar wants to come here regardless of our great history and it is mainly because Morey puts too great a value on his quote unquote assets and he does not know how to close a big deal. In Morey we trust, I think not!:mad::mad::mad:

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Then the plan to go after Dwight was a failure in the first place.

There needs to be an EXECUTABLE plan in place, one that is not reliant on the good will or downfall of others to succeed.

Right now, Morey's plan is to stockpile assets and HOPE...yes HOPE some superstar breaks loose and the Rockets can outbid 29 other teams for him.

That is a ****ING HORRIBLY CRAPPY plan, and one not likely to succeed.

So, Morey is FAILING at executing his own plan.

DD

13. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, nor do I entirely. I also just have no clue where this team is going though. The fact they were trying to move up for a top 5 pick, assuming it wasn't just because they thought it made better Howard bait, is promising.

14. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Agree with that. That's like saying, yeah I didn't study for the exam, but I'm hoping there's an earthquake that takes out the building beforehand.

15. DaDakota

So you are in the "Plan itself is a failure" camp.

Gotcha.

DD

16. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

Joey Dorsey and Marcus Morris should be in the HOF any day now.

17. DaDakota

Jermaine Taylor would drive them there but he got lost on the way to stupid.

DD

18. nolimitnp

nolimitnp Contributing Member

His logic makes no sense, but we are losers at this particular moment. But there are still 3 months until training camp even begins.

19. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Jeeez DD i ussually enjoy reading what you type but you are getting moee and more out there on your unbiased bias against morey...its starting to cramp and hurt your qriting style...

20. DaDakota

BigMaloe,

I am tired of the PR spin and the lack of results, I think Jerome Solomon had him nailed 3 years ago.

I don't believe that Morey will succeed in what he is trying to accomplish because it is too reliant on being able to outbid 29 other teams and at various times someone else may have more of what the selling team wants and you are stuck out in the cold, in nuetral waiting on the next guy.

I think Morey has had major issues with undervaluing size in the draft - since fixed that, and not taking shots on High upside guys - seems to have fixed that a bit too with this draft - and I am not convinced at all that Morey can lead this team back to prosperity.

DD