1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Luther Head selected to USA Select Team

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by QdoubleA, Jul 16, 2008.

1. ekim

ekim Member

They need shooters against zone but they don't realize Head can't shoot under pressure...

2. pbthunder

pbthunder Contributing Member

While this quote by Hayesfan is truly hilarious, the fact is, the group of NBA experts that put that team together doen't see things the way you Luther-haters do. The conclusions you guys are reaching are kind of silly.

3. EssTooKayTD

EssTooKayTD Contributing Member

Guess you haven't seen some of his game winners (that's right plural) he's had in his relatively young NBA career with the Rockets.

We are all disappointed in his performance, or lack thereof, in the playoffs, but let's not discount that he actually helps us some. He's not as worthless as many make him out to be. He's got a nice set of skills/tools. If he can stay within those he's good. If he can make smarter decisions with the ball, he's a great bench player for us.

Many won't agree, but I think he has good-enough handles, speed, shooting to play for our team. My only real issue is his decision making once he makes a move to the bucket (ie. passing off the penetration).

T

4. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

I actually don't hate Luther, but his name does stick out when you compare it to the hype that all of the other players on that list have had in their careers.

and thank you for saying it was funny ;)

5. csux

csux Rookie

But there isn't any pressure in the pick up again. I am sure luther will shoot the lights out, outscore Lebron 36 to 17, and we can trade him while his stock is high. :D

6. tcadriel

tcadriel Member

Congratulations Luther! You guys must be jealous. :rolleyes:

7. FR0497

FR0497 Member

They just want to test Team USA's fast break off a turnover since Head will give them multiple chances to do so.

8. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Guys, this is a good thing. Perhaps it will boost his confidence ... and his trade value :)

Seriously, he's a better player than he showed last year.

9. mms

mms Member

We know that so we call him choker.

10. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

11. MrRolo

MrRolo Contributing Member

great thread responses! I spit out my energy drink a few times!

luther, luther, luther...

why must one suck

his 1st year was fantastic

how time has passed so quickly

i don't hate luther but he is horrifying

at night I woke up screaming because the statue on my window ledge looked like luther

i once sat in his seat at the hooters restaurant where he went before his first season started. that was some diarrhea that day.

unbeknown to me at that time what it would mean for us in the future

12. kevolution

kevolution Member

I really hope Luther the best, but his lack of confidence is clearly showing through his poor play. You say he makes game winners.. well that's like a few games and they were all earlier in his career, but he doesn't make enough good plays to warrant his excessive turnovers, missed layups, and horrible 3 pt shooting.

13. wingz0

wingz0 Member

Ess, I don't wanna sound like I'm hating, but just being objective.

First, I don't think he has good-enough handles. Yes, he's not atrocious in the sense that he loses the ball while dribbling or gets his pockets picked. But you can tell he's not comfortable handling the rock under pressure, or taking more than 1 to 2 dribbles to get into the lane. Also, he has no left hand. Absolutely none at all.

I do like his shot. I think he's a great shooter. The problem is, for some reason, this trump card of him utterly goes missing in the playoffs. Not once, but 2 years in a row! Through a total of 13 games! How's that even possible?

He has nice speed and athleticism. But the problem is, he doesn't/can't utilise it to the maximum. His spotty ball-handling means he cannot accelerate/decelerate/change directions, which prevents him from being an elite slasher. He can jump, but he doesn't have enough explosiveness to get to the peak a la Ben Gordon. One thing I'll give him though, is he cuts well without the ball.

I think the thing that frustrates most of us is how he's seemingly deproved and stagnated despite having all the necessary tools to become a great role player off the bench. He played extremely well for us in '06-'07, but somehow managed to stink it up during the playoffs. Same with this past season.

14. rn_xw

rn_xw Member

congrats Luther! You deser..wait, you got selected to the USA Select Team?????????

15. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I believe it...in professional wrestling terms this is a "jobber" squad. Don't want to embarass the national team before the big dance.

16. poprocks

poprocks Member

Maybe someone on the NBA/Olympic committe wanted to see if Luther had anything in the tank or was just buried on the Rockets

17. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

Luther Head sucks.

18. Possum

Possum Member

As much as you defend Hayes you shouldnt. Luther is every bit of the player Hayes is if not more.

19. Possum

Possum Member

Hes better than A Brooks right now.

20. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

If you read what I posted earlier in this thread I was defending Luther too. I have watched him since he was a junior in college (I had a friend who went to Illinois the last two years he was there) and I have always liked him. Dee Brown and Deron also. (though Deron irritates me now when we play them).

Luther compared to the rest of the list is what made me think of the song. He doesn't have the same level of press or respect as those other kids do. So he stuck out.