1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Looking to Buy a Used BMW; Need Opinions

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by LAM, Jul 21, 2005.

Tags:
  1. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

If I win the lotto I would buy a new Lexus but if trying to show off your status with used luxury cars just sound umm too tacky.

2. PieEatinFattie

PieEatinFattie Contributing Member

Yet people still do it, and some people are still impressed by it.

3. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Buying a used car doesn't necessarily make you someone trying to impress others. Buying used can be a smart way to purchase a car, although I've never done it.

There's no way in hell I'd buy a '95 M3 with 60k+ miles on it. If you're looking to just have a BMW, get it, I guess, but don't think you're getting modern-day M3 performance from it. I don't think it can do 0-60 in under 6 seconds, but I'm not sure.

If not the M3, then don't get the 323. That's a car for princesses.

I personally wouldn't buy BMW's with high mileage simply for the fact that repair costs could kill you. Any costs you save by buying used will be gobbled up on repairs more than likely (assuming you won't be doing them on your own).

4. deepblue

deepblue Member

Personally, I found BMWs to be a lot more fun to drive than your average front wheel drive japanese cars. The balance, the handling are just a cut above. Its a car I can drive to work everyday and take it to the tracks on weekends.

(Some Japanese cars like G35 are also good, but the fun cars like WRX, Lancer Evo are too much boy racer type)

5. reggietodd

reggietodd Contributing Member

I bought a used 2003 M3 last summer. I went to the dealership to order a new one, but they had this used one there, and they gave me a pretty good deal on it, plus it was certified, so the warranty was equilavent to buing new which was very important to me because, trust me, you do not want to shell out maintenance costs on a BMW out of your own pocket.

3 speeding tickets later, $$$ gone for new tires ($389 a piece for 19") and $289 per month for insurance due to all my tickets, I sold her and bought a Truck 3 months ago. :(

6. flamingmoe

flamingmoe Member

no way i would pay over 20k for a used car with close to 60k miles no matter the make

hell im not even willing to pay over 20k for a new car - cars are just a money pit - I guess Im just getting old now and look at cars differently - I have much better things to spend my money on than a 'look at me' type car

7. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

And the lingering effect is long lasting ... :p

Oops, wrong thread. :D

8. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

Did I just read some posts comparing a BMW 3-series to a "Toyota and a Honda"?!!! :eek: :eek:

You must be drinking! If you haven't driven a 330i or an M3, you will never understand :p

Seriously though, generally speaking, I am not a proponent of used cars in general. But if you must, then look for a car that has less than 50k miles on it.

BTW, if you're looking for some power under $25k, there are a few nice choices on the market, and they would be brand new and under warranty.

9. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

You ever drive a Supra? BMW's are overrated. Even I will agree that they are very peppy to drive and handle well. But they are too unreliable and extremely expensive. Moreover, who the hell pretends to be Mario Andretti in Houston? Yes, you want some power, but 0-60 in mid 5 seconds...super sweet. YEAH! :rolleyes:

10. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Be very careful when purchasing a German car with high mileage. Maintenance costs are high, and simple parts are very expensive to replace. At the price point your friend is looking at, there is some risk.

11. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

Performance, safety, comfort, ergonomics.....some people value these things over just reliability and cheapness. Likewise, some also prefer not to buy their food and clothing at Walmart.

12. pirc1

Guess I will just have to be one of the masses that buy things from Walmart, Toyota and Honda. :cool:

13. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

IMO, there is nothing wrong with purchasing a used or pre-owned vehicle, whether it be a BMW, Lexus, Honda, Chevy, etc...

I use to always buy new, but never again...Don't want take the depreciation hit and wasteful...However, with used, you never know what your getting yourself into...someone could easily wreck it and fix it out of pocket, vs. having insurance pay for it, thus being tracked via carfax...

I'd look at Carmax as they're usually pretty good...

14. Gutter Snipe

Gutter Snipe Contributing Member

Driving a used bmw or benz when you are young is a good way to get hooked up with or married to a high-mainenance woman. On the plus side, she'll look hot at first. :D

15. pirc1

Just like that used BMW. :eek:

16. MartianMan

MartianMan Contributing Member

I think Acura (honda) and Lexus (toyota) ranks extremely high on all those qualities you mention. add in reliability and cheapness and I think you know why people buy BMWs...

to show-off. It's an image thing.

17. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

You're probably right there's some out there trying to score points on image. But I would think for the most part people just want to drive something they like (lookswise, feel, etc). It's the same premise for why most guys would prefer to bang a supermodel over a fat chick. It's just an innate human quality to gravitate towards what you perceive as better or more attractive.

Anyways, I'm not too much into cars myself. Actually prefer taxis/buses/subways/cycling. But if forced to drive I'll always choose a euro car. I'm renting a Volvo from Hertz later this month in fact. And I doubt ANYBODY drives a Volvo to show off! :D

18. MartianMan

MartianMan Contributing Member

touche.

19. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

Ahh, common folks! :rolleyes:

:p

20. Mack

Mack Contributing Member

I love the BMWs as fun-to-drive sedans. But I'd probably only have one as a second car. On paper, maybe a 323 is slow, but when mated to a manual, I didn't find the 323 to be that bad. I didn't perceive much difference in acceleration between a 323 (~189 hp I think) and a 328, 528, or Z3. The M3 coupe and 750 I test drove were in a totally different class however. If you ever get a chance, do the BMW Drive for a Cure - you'll get to test drive many models of BMW. Lexus (I think) used to do something similar where you could test drive any Lexus, as well as their competitor's cars.

If I were strictly after performance, I'd get something else, but as a sporty sedan, I think BMW would be my among my first choices. For those cars you listed, see what a 60,000 mile maintenance costs. It might be prohibitively expensive. Me, I think I'd keep my eyes open for a lower mileage car.