1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How does Morey define elite?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Jul 14, 2014.

1. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I'm not really sure what you mean? Who is scared?

We are still trying to win this year if that is what you are saying. Morey was clear in his interview he has no intention on punting this year. The move from Parsons to Ariza is not a punt. Now, if he adds no one else to this roster, then yes, that is a punt and I would criticize him big time for that as I have said from the beginning of the offseason.

I think we will make moves to try to contend this year while still remaining flexible if that big deal comes along.

2. Remii

Remii Member

He pretty much said he's punting this season. He said Harden/Howard/Parsons is not a championship core so what makes you believe Harden/Howard/Ariza is...?

3. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I don't understand your point.

Punting means making no attempt to get better. Do you think that is what the Rockets will do now? Make no attempt to get better?

I believe he will make improvements that don't hurt future flexibility and then you hope the chips fall your way. I don't believe he is going to lock this team up by giving big money deals to mediocre players to where you are just hoping for the next 3 years.

4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Duncan can easily play 2 years and Dwight might opt out by then

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Duncan is still borderline elite IMHO

6. Remii

Remii Member

I'm sure he will makes some mid level moves but a team needs cohesiveness and experience together and that can't be achieved by constantly changing pieces. No doubt we make the playoffs, but getting out the west _ I seriously doubt that.

7. calurker

calurker Contributing Member

It doesn't even matter what Morey's definition of Elite is when it's plenty obvious that he is totally gung-ho about maintaining cap flexibility (read: room for a third max or near-max contract) in the name of landing that elite player. So the real question is, while Morey is out there chasing unicorns, how do you convince this team's players 3 - 12 to buy in and build toward something if they are perpetual cap fodders? How do you convince your coach to integrate them and develop them if they are here today, gone tomorrow? (On second thought, I think that's giving McHale too much credit.)

8. Asian Sensation

Who was the third elite guy on the Shaq-Kobe Lakers? Phil Jackson
    Who was the third elite guy on the Wade-Shaq Heat? Pat Riley
    Who was the second and third elite guy on the Dirk Dallas team? Good coach, an owner who wants to win by all means and a bunch of good veterans with some luck involved can accomplish elite results.
    Who were any of the this Spurs team elite? Popovich and a lot of their players took turns playing like "elite" players in different series/games.

9. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I get your point, and I don't disagree.

But coming back to the OP's question, taking Morey's comments at face value, Morey seems to see that there was a third elite player on the Shaq-Kobe Lakers. Who was that guy? Here are some candidates:

Fisher, Horry, Fox, Rice (Rice seems to fit the profile most. He was an elite shooter.)

Fisher, Horry, Fox, Grant (If Rice was that guy the previous year, he was gone in 2001. Grant was the only significant addition. But was a 36-year old Grant "elite"? Did Fisher improve enough to be counted as elite?)

Fisher was arguably their third best player. The interesting thing is, nobody other than Shaq and Kobe played more than 30 mpg. Could a sub-30mpg guy be classified as "elite"?

The only other possibility was Horry as the "elite" big shot artist. But Horry's overall production was hardly "elite."

So you see, if Morey was serious about the comments that there were very few exceptions to the 3-elitists rule, then the Lakers did not appear to have any clear elite player besides Shaq and Kobe.

Don't tell me a 3-peat team was the "exceptions."

1 person likes this.
  10. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Really? Lebron, Melo, Durant, George, Batum, Tucker...and yea im gonna do it... Ariza lol

11. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Didnt see that you had already done this, but i love that u added ariza at the end too lol

12. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Or Dragic. Or Lowry (the first time - not that I'd redo that trade). Rondo is though I guess.

13. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

I agree with this completely

Morey is obsessed with the chase

He is like the guy that chases the hottest chic, finally sleeps with her, then no longer wants her, more fun to chase the next hot one

14. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

The best realistic chance if you have less than 3 stars is if you have the best player in the game. We don't. Harden might temporarily be the best 2 guard, but 2 guard is the weakest it's been in a long time, and if wade or Kobe could stay healthy you can argue them above harden. Dwight has the potential perhaps to be an MVP candidate. But I don't blame morey for not limiting himself to no significant moves for 3 years betting on Parsons becoming an elite player.

15. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Why are you guys talking about what YOU think is elite? The question of the thread is how does MOREY define elite. The purpose of this discussion is to find out what is in Morey's mind as he moves on to build what he envisions to be a championship team.

16. SPBR

SPBR Member

Elite would be a player who is 2 standard deviations above mean. At least, that's what I gather from the video linked in the thread below.

Morey on 60 Minutes : 5/11/14

According to Morey, what makes Harden unique in history of NBA is how he is 3-4 SD above mean in ability to drive to basket and make a FG or drive and draw a FT. Mentions how even if Harden is underperforming and is only at 2 SD, he's still way ahead of the game (around the 8th minute).

2 people like this.
  17. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Ask him what an elite coach is.

18. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Have you considered the possibility that Morey doesn't think those teams could even win against today's teams?

The early 2ks, the nba was in terrible shape star wise, the Lakers were the only team who even had 2 stars, the rest of the league's best teams were running 1+ teams.

the current nba is running 2+ and 3 star teams.

Shaq may have been able to pull it off, but Shaq was about equal to Lebron's league for impact on winning.

19. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

The Mavs when they won got elite production from the Jet, Tyson Chandler and Marion.

For SAS, Leonard was the finals MVP. And their bench just rang rings around the MIA starters even.

Meanwhile vs Portland, our superstars couldn't get started until maybe Game 3. Somebody else needed to step up but there was no one. So you still fault Morey for thinking Harden-Howard-Parsons ain't enough.

20. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I think the person should be almost universally seen as top 5 at their position.

If you have the opportunity to be picky, then you have to consider things like: the Rockets will not be a top 5-10 defensive team with Harden and Parsons defending. So even if Parsons were to become top 5, if you have a clear other option then you have to consider that a less talented better fit might be the route to take.