1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Morey on 60 Minutes : 5/11/14

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Fighton, May 13, 2014.

1. Fighton

Fighton Member

http://www.mediamaxonline.com/dailybuzz/play/broadcast/aOlK-Nllu0mhpOM--rApmw.mp4

cool video. nothing earth shattering, although the room full of "morey-nites" in the early segments made me laughed a little. for guys who never made the JV team in high school, now is their chance to be involved in bball.

also, Stan is NOT a fan of analytics...

by the way, let's hope these types of threads will start to push down those gawd awful lin threads on the first page.. smh...

2. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

I heard that Dan Rather was his dad.....

3. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

i wonder how players go about picking their spots, when they know exactly what their hot and cold spots are. I feel like it's not always about where your sweet spot is, but the rhythm you're in. It looks like Morey takes into consideration all those other whys, but it would still seem like TMI for a player, especially young guys like these. I'm not sure they're capable of using the information the best way possible.

4. Fighton

Fighton Member

i actually think this is more useful as a defensive scouting tool, as battier mentioned. you would think that by this stage of their careers, players know what they like and don't like to do on offense and where their spots are.

5. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

I figured Morey had more guys in the basement than that. Perhaps those were the ones that were most TV friendly and he had 30 more in a deeper dungeon.

6. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Agreed....If i was them i would spend a lot of time on tendencies and get them all down. That should be easy for them to interpret on the court.

7. vincilicious

vincilicious Member

Cool video, thanks for the share!

Any guesses on who the "valuable player on a playoff team" was? Started off above average in distance covered, but went below at the end of the season.

Morey on Lin
    He then continues to say that "Lin's acceleration, measured by the data team on every play creates scoring opportunities for himself and his teammates."

Morey on Harden
    If anyone has taken statistics you would know that a standard deviation refers to variation in a distribution. It just so turns out that 1 standard deviation means you are at the 68 percentile, 2 standard deviations is 95 percentile, 3 is 99.7 percentile. 4 is 99.993 percentile

8. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

Morey thinks he's a celebrity. Didn't know disappointing first round exits would lead to 60 minute interviews, smh

9. vincilicious

vincilicious Member

In a way he is. The conference he co-founded grew by magnitudes and he was one of the first people to vocalize the merits of something that is now standard in the NBA (and other professional sports).

Although I think with sports, and everything else in life, it really is about balance and these tools should be used to supplement, not replace one another.

10. Yohohoho

Yohohoho Member

Hey Harden, seeing the numbers, are you tired?

11. munco

munco Member

Use your advanced analytics to hire a half decent coach. At this point the "hype" around Morey and his use of analytics is far greater than results.

12. cardpire

cardpire Member

It's 60 Minutes Sports. A Showtime show.

13. Hmm

Hmm Member

Amen...

14. Solaris

Solaris Member

Did Parsons forgot where his hotspots are during 2nd half of each games?

15. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

The hot spot is wherever Chandler is standing...:p

16. hooroo

hooroo Member

17. cheke64

cheke64 Member

He needs to track his macros

18. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

SMH. Showtime? Can't even get on HBO.

19. bmd

bmd Member

I know you are joking, but Showtime is part of CBS. That's why it's on Showtime.

20. HardenWay

HardenWay Member

I seriously doubt Morey asked to be interviewed by 60 minutes.

Bring a new way of analysing the game will get you interviews though.