1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Harden for Zion - would you do it?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by iNoseBleedRed, May 1, 2019.

1. xaos

xaos Member

Really guys? Zion will bring us a ring?

Yall realize he isn't making the playoffs his first few years, right? This isn't rookie LeBron walking through the door, it's a beefier Blake Griffin

#61 xaos, May 11, 2019
    Last edited: May 12, 2019
    s3ts and saleem like this.
  2. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Clint Capela traded for Aaron Gordon of Orlando to matchup with Draymond Green

Clint Capela, Aaron Gordon have almost the same contract, the Rockets must try to get Aaron Gordon at all cost

Aaron can shoot 3s to stretch the floor, play small ball center

3. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

Zion don't have to make playoffs but you know coach k and Duke program will have him traveling and practicing day in and day out for team USA next summer.

bmelo likes this.
  4. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

Lmao! You’re not relevant enough to live in anyone’s head. You’re just over valuing significance as always.
    Truth is you say you wouldn’t Trade dream because you know the results. But we all know if there was a public forum you’d be first one trying to run him out of town. Own it DD stop masquerading as a fan.

5. jerryclark

jerryclark Member

Was thinking this for awhile. If we couldnt get it done this year we might as well trade him and tucker to the knicks for the pick, dsj and every other shitty asset they have. Let them get the ring they deserve with kd/kyrie or whatever. This team is not getting any better whether thats due to age or the trash owner.

6. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I agree, Zion will be badly exposed on defense. He will be in foul trouble consistently.

7. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

Harden is not the reason we don't have a championship right now. He's the reason we've gotten as close as we have.

Zion is an unknown with some, IMO, glaring weaknesses. In the best case scenario, he could be as valuable as Harden... in like 5 years.

Short answer to thread question: hell no.

8. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Somewhat random but associated... if you’re OKC would you trade Russ for Zion?

bmelo likes this.
  9. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Remember "Rigging for Wiggins" and how people wanted us to trade Harden for Wiggins.

Yeah, exactly.

10. JayZ750

I don't remember Rigging for Wiggins. A quick search and the most relevant thing I found is this:
    http://bbs.clutchfans.net/index.php...n-for-andrew-wiggins-or-jabari-parker.254761/
    Almost 5 years ago exactly. 68.7% no. I think Harden had just come off year 2 with the Rockets, a disappointing first round loss to the Blazers - probably the impetus for the thread, as otherwise it certainly didn't make sense.

I don't think I need to explain the difference between that season and now. Harden was 24. Now he's 29. GSW didn't exist. Now, they not only exist, but seem impervious to defeat. We shall see how the season ends up. Finals seem like a lock at least. I'd actually give the Bucks a shot. Not the Raptors because they don't have enough offense.

Bigger than all that is Zion hype is at least double what Wiggins was. To me, Zion as a prospect is a different stratosphere than Wiggins.

Zion's ceiling is up there with some of the best #1 prospects coming out in a while. However, his floor is lower. Meaning if he doesn't keep developing his skills - 3 point shot for example, ballhandling, defense - his floor is a mid teens scorer with 5-8 rebounds a game. Which is still good, but not best hype since Lebron good.

What would his ceiling be stat-wise? 25-30 ppg, 11 rpg, 5 apg? That seems insane, in the realms of only the Lebrons and Russ and yes, Harden (almost) of the world. If I think about historical comps - Charles, Blake, Grandmama :), etc. Zion has all their positives plus better athleticism... which is hard to believe but it is what it is. Zion might be the most athletic prospect ever.

Decent comparison discussion: https://fadeawayworld.net/2019/01/20/comparing-zion-williamson-to-nba-legendary-superstars/
    "In the last 50 years, the only player who can match the hype train of Zion is LeBron". Not that hype = production.

In short, if the Knicks would trade #1 for Harden, I'd ask for a throw in - eg. Kevin Knox - but do it without it.
    If the Suns would trade the #1 for Harden, I'd ask for a throw in - eg. TJ Warren - but do it.

And so on.

I know this is dumb, and all hype train at the moment, but you don't usually have an opportunity to jump into a rebuild so quickly. You don't have to tank. You could still be good next year with follow-on moves. Or you could fully rebuild, move CP3, move Clint, move EG, move Tucker, and with DM at the helm have a playoff team again in 2 years and **** tons of young upside.

Even with the athleticism... the most likeable thing about Zion is his personality. He really wants to win. He's humble, despite the hype. He absolutely LOVES to hoop. If we're comparing to Wiggins, much of his Kansas season seemed like he sleptwalk through it... not surprising just like his NBA career thus far. Zion will be a 37% three point shooter sooner than later. He just wants it to much not to be, and is capable already.

Just my two cents...

In either case, lottery night is always exciting. Worst case scenario, bar none, is the Mavs winning #1. For one, they keep the pick then. For two... Doncic, Zion, Porzingis, cap space, Carlisle... please no

11. JayZ750

AD would be a better get for them than Harden, for sure. But just barely. And to the extent you might say Harden is friendly with KD and "definitely" gets them KD, I don't see how the Knicks say no.

12. NBA_fan_2018

NBA_fan_2018 Member

Maybe, but the lottery teams sure wouldn't.

Trae Young / Zion Williamson will be fun to watch play together over the next decade.

13. bullardfan

bullardfan なんでやねん

Nobody is trading Zion to us anyway.

14. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

A couple of years ago people wanted to trade Harden for Klay Thompson. Now it's Zion. Whew.

15. JayAllJay

JayAllJay Member

WTF! cmon this idea seems like one my 6 year old would think of...

Please be realistic.

16. JayZ750

The irony is that the Rockets still would have 0 rings, but the GSW would have fewer, too. GSW with Harden is not winning rings. Even KD slows their "classic" offense down a bit, but Harden would just be a horrible fit there.

Klay would at least move around without the ball. CLEARLY... that is not an equal or fair trade, but you have to put a little weight behind some of the reasoning.

I probably just listen to too much NBA Radio, but as Tim Legler said 20 minutes ago, when you're into the 2nd round and conference finals and best case Finals, there's just going to be a better team than you, always, if you continue playing this style.

17. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

IT gets funnier every other day

Rocket River

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

2nd year Zion....if he has Lebron's stats without the high assist numbers.

I would consider it..... not the rookie version.

19. JayZ750

Charnia says the Knicks would consider it.. Zion + Knox, for AD.

Is Harden a better get than AD? Hard to say exactly, but if Harden "guarantees" KD, it maybe is. Backcourt player plus frontcourt player.

20. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

No.

Harden is a great player. I'm comfortable riding this to the end and let the chips fall where they may. Not interested in hitting the reset button.

s3ts likes this.