1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

For Deckard: Hypothetical Scenario to Acquire Lebron

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by aelliott, Jun 9, 2018.

1. bmd

bmd Member

Great thread. I made a thread yesterday asking about hypothetical multiple team trade scenarios for LeBron. This thread delivered. :cool:

2. bmd

bmd Member

For what it’s worth, LeBron does have family in Houston. A few years back when LeBron was in town to play the Rockets, he showed up in Humble at the high school to watch his cousin run track.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#62 bmd, Jun 9, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2018
    BigMaloe, DonKnock, D-rock and 2 others like this.
  3. bmd

bmd Member

How can Cleveland only take in Gordon’s contract? I thought teams over the cap had to match salary?

Wouldn’t Cleveland be over the cap and have to match salary?

4. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

No, you can always take in less salary than you send out. The matching rules define the "Maximum incoming salary". In this case it's 125% of the outgoing. So if Cleveland sends out $35.5M then they can take back a maximum of 125% of that amount. There's no minimum that they have to take back. That's how teams get trade exceptions.

bmd likes this.
  5. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

minor point, just fwiw: Non-guaranteed salary no-longer counts for salary matching. However, that's only for contracts *signed* under the new CBA. Non-guaranteed salary still counts for contracts signed prior to new CBA.

But also, keep in mind, unless you trade for those NG players with cap-room (like we did with the NG-bros last year prior to Paul's trade), they can't be aggregated under either CBA. They will have a waiting period before they can be aggregated, under long-standing, traded player exception rules.

BigMaloe, saleem and joshuaao like this.
  6. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I haven't been through the complete thread. I wonder if all this would have to involve signing and trading Capela and, say, Onuaku to Phoenix for Tyson Chandler's and Jared's expirings and the #16 and #31 picks. Move that to Cleveland. Add a future Rox pick or something.

Helps Phoenix save cap space. I imagine Gordon and Anderson might come into play, but not if a fourth team is needed. Such deals typically fall apart.

Too much speculation. I have tended to stay away from guesstimation as I further advance into middle age. In this case?

Can the Rockets structure CP3 and LBJ contracts so each would balloon in different seasons?

7. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

aelliott is one of my favorite CF posters ever. Love reading his posts. Y’all should pay attention to him.

While some of the cap space figures are a bit off (need to factor in incomplete roster charges), his logic is sound as usual.

Yes, that concept still exists in the current CBA, but (as always) each individual trade needs to comply with salary matching rules in order to work. So if the Rockets are getting LeBron, it is doubtful that Houston would generate a meaningful trade exception (TPE) for itself, since they’d need Anderson’s salary for matching purposes on that individual trade (even if Ryno is going to a third team).

However, CLEVELAND generates a *huge* TPE in any scenario where Anderson goes to a third team. If they’re only taking back Gordon, that would create a $22 million TPE. With the Cavs hopelessly over the cap, that TPE would greatly facilitate trades for them going forward. Hell, they could use the TPE to absorb salary if/when they ever trade Love, which would then allow them to create a NEW $24 million TPE!

The Cavs’ luxury tax concerns are still an impediment to trades, but that TPE they’d generate — beyond the other players or picks they’d receive — should not be overlooked.

BigMaloe, Deuce, DonKnock and 7 others like this.
  8. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

Another possible taker for Ryno is the Hawks by taking on Miles Plumlee's deal in return.

joshuaao likes this.
  9. CrushCity

CrushCity Member

clutchfans to maury if he pulls king james

[​IMG]

joshuaao likes this.
  10. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Love the proposal, but I'm guessing the 2 firsts need to be attached to Anderson's contract and only Gordon with no picks to Cleveland. Then Cleveland can flip Gordon somewhere else for a 1st, as his contract and productivity is that good. A first (from another team) plus a TPE for Cleveland is fair compensation for LeBron if he is leaving anyway.

11. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

This is where my logic used to be, before the CP3 trade. Afterwards, I look back at the Clippers return for the deal, and severely struggle with the concept of Morey putting forth an acceptable offer for a top 2 player of all time.

cc @The Cat @BimaThug

JoeBarelyCares likes this.
  12. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

OP is a genius. Morey get it done. Chicago FO aren't exactly known for their brilliance either so they will likely take the deal.

All it takes is Lebron to give the go ahead and honestly if he really wants to catch Jordan and win more rings the best two choices are Houston and the Warriors.

13. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

I think the Pacers can be a potential landing spot for EGo too. Here's the deal

Houston
    In: LeBron, Plumlee
    Out: Anderson, Gordon, Nene, Onuaku

Cleveland
    In: Al Jefferson(only 4M guaranteed next year) , Onuaku, 1st round pick from HOU, 1st round pick from IND
    Out: LeBron

Atlanta
    In: Anderson, Nene, 1st round pick from HOU
    Out: Plumlee

Indiana
    In: Gordon
    Out: Al Jefferson, 1st round pick

#73 ashleyem, Jun 9, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2018
  14. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

Chicago is not going to help Houston get Lebron, have you thought of that? lol.

In fact, most teams when they find out they're facilitating a trade that get Lebron to Houston, they would say forget it, i am not going to make a super team in Houston. Unless the deal is super sweet, i don't see it happening.

buffalobills!!! and daywalker02 like this.
  15. MD_in_Training

Unless they're a direct competitor for Lebron, then I don't see why they won't make it happen if it benefits them in the long run. Why does it matter to a bottom feeder whether there is one superteam or two superteams?

16. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

Give them 2 future 1st, whatever it takes.

17. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Dallas used cap-space in the Bogut trade (producing a grand total of 26 games and 3 pt/gm) to help the 73-win Warriors sign Durant. Warriors do not get Durant without dumping Bogut's salary to someone.

18. Gorilladunks

Gorilladunks Member

To get lebron out of the east? hell yeah theyd want to help. They have to spend a certain amount. If they get some benefit and ship lebron to the west theyll want to do that in a heartbeat

19. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Not sure if it’s been mentioned but one of brons closest friends Damon Jones is from Houston

DonKnock likes this.
  20. yixiixiy

yixiixiy Member

Incredible clarity and tenable logic. Thanks for sharing. Learned a great deal.