1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would you trade EGo, CC, Rybo for two first round picks, Lebron?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by basketballholic, Jun 4, 2018.

?

Would you trade EGo, CC, Rybo for two first round picks, and either Lebron or George?

Poll closed Jun 25, 2018.
  1. Yes

134 vote(s)
    68.0%
  2. No

63 vote(s)
    32.0%
  1. topfive

topfive CF OG

Damn, Holic, your verbiage-to-interesting-point ratio has reached an all-time low in this thread. :eek:

2. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

I have no idea as to whether CP3 is willing to take a pay cut and if so how much.

3. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

And how would you? Sure, you could make up some scenario and then badger everyone to explain how it would work, while littering your posts with insults, but that isn't your style (thank goodness!). Nice to see you posting, aelliott, particularly since you are one of our imminent capalogists and have been for years. I would love to see a thread from you giving your takes on how Morey could come up with a major move or two this off-season, given the difficulties involved.

4. mockster

mockster Member

Just FYI so it’s clear I’d trade the whole team outside of harden and Paul for Lebron. Obviously it would be great to keep tucker and ariza for chemistry and added help but I’d live with it.

5. basketballholic

That's because people throw out scenarios and don't walk it through. They should walk it through so I don't have to do it for them. Would make the responses more interesting. And I wouldn't have to break down the consequences of everything.

And frankly if people thought things through they'd come to their own conclusions that most of what they're suggesting isn't plausible.

#165 basketballholic, Jun 6, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2018
  6. basketballholic

I don't know for sure. But I do have some clues that tell me he would for the right situation.

And one of my main points here is it rests with Paul how much talent we get here and how this roster is constructed. If he is adament about his 5-year max then he knows full well the limitations to the team he is placing on it for future transactions and how long we can hold together paying a gargantuan tax bill in 2021.

All the info I'm presenting to you, Paul already knows and understands. So, ultimately it will be his call on how we build this team out. Because Morey will give him that 5-year max deal if he wants it.

Chris Paul is essentially holding the cards here. Everybody needs to understand that.

#166 basketballholic, Jun 6, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2018
  7. aroundtheblock2

I don't know why anyone thinks Morey is willing trade one of Capela, CP3 or Harden to get LeBron. It isn't happening. Rockets can retain those 3 and still have a very good shot going into next season and could even win it all with a few fortuitous bounces.

8. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Morey would absolutely, 100%, without a moment's hesitation trade Capela for Lebron.

9. aelliott

Ok, if you say so but that still doesn't tell me if Paul is willing to take a paycut and if so how much.

Anything is possible but I'm not going to pretend that I know what Chris Paul is thinking or what he's willing to do.

Morey will do whatever he can to improve the team, that I'm confident of.

10. basketballholic

Accidentally posted this in the wrong thread, reposting here.

By the way......while you're working on trades to bring in LeBron or George let's talk about the sign-and-trade possibilities.

So, a sign-and-trade has to be for three seasons.....And it gives us a hard cap at the apron. If the cap comes in at $101 million, the apron will be approximately $127.8 million. Let's assume Paul then signs a max deal for 5 years. He almost had to do this to ensure he gets his money because LeBron is now signed for three years. So if Paul were to sign a Tim Duncan style deal for one year then we could drop him after the season. And if he signs a three year deal to sign with Lebron then he could be dropped and princely would be dropped after three seasons.....or asked.to take a big paycut at that time since we'll be hitting the repeater tax if we keep him at the max.

So we've got $101million tied up in the big 3 and $109 million tied up in the big 4 including PJ. Throw in Capela's cap hold and we're at $116 million. Let's pretend we ditch Onuaku and Qi for nothing. And we've got Ariza's cap hold ($12.8 million) and the minimum salary slots to deal with. So as you can see we're already over the apron. Ariza gets renounced to make the deal work. Then Capela gets a max offer sheet. He walks because we're hard,capped. So LeBron cost us Gordon, Anderson, two picks, Capela, and Ariza. Not good.

Ok, so we'll sign and trade Capela to Phoenix and trade Anderson in some mythical deal into some other teams cap space to get the deal done for James.....?????? Rinse and repeat folks. Doesn't work. Ariza gone. Gordon given away.

Soooooooo, unless you can prove to us otherwise......you can eliminate a sign-and-trade acquisition of Lebron OR ANY OTHER MAX CONTRACT SUPERSTAR. There's no way to make it work without gutting everything, leading all our future trade possibilities, losing our picks, and being in the repeater tax in three seasons. It's literally the big 4 and all minimum salaries next season. And we're still in the tax.

So either prove me wrong on that point or eliminate a sign-and-trade acquisition of a superstar from your thinking.

Once you eliminate sign-and-trade, now we're siren to two ways to acquire Lebron or any other superstar. Either through them opting in and a trade is fine before July 1 OR we go under the cap and sign somebody.

There only one other possibility other then those two. And that is to trade for a different superstar other than these pending free agents like Lebron, George, and Durant that is still under contract for 2018-19. Perhaps Lawhi.....in a trade.....after the moratorium. So you could speculate on that I suppose.

But as far as LeBron, George, and Durant you should be looking at acquiring them through prior to July 1 by trade or after July 1 by under-the-cap signing. Those are the only two realistic possibilities.

Prove me wrong here. Show me a sign-and-year possibility that is doable.

11. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

You think a team is going to trade us Lebron and 2 future first rounders? What planet are you from?

topfive likes this.
  12. aroundtheblock2

How do you know? You don't have a clue lol. Rockets were 45-4 with CP3, Harden and Capela in the starting lineup. I seriously doubt Morey would trade Capela, and to say you know 100% he would trade Capela is even more ridiculous.

13. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Just for the record I’m high on Capela. Without Capela working hard and improving, the Rockets would not have
    advanced as far as they did in 2017/18. I just question if Capela vs the Warriors is efficient enough. Some mobile
    PF’s with range may have been enough to get by the Warriors even with the “Iggy the Great.” Players with Capela
    type bodies with good shooting touch are coming out of college and have high ceiling potential.

So paying the Max $ on Capela year one (2018/19) may be seen as critical by many here on Clutchfans because
    of how close the Rockets achieved this year (2017/18).........the kids coming out of college may quickly make Capela’s
    long term deal seem obsolete as they play on rookie deals. Rookie money while shooting for 3-pt range would
    have the Rockets offense clearing much further off the charts as a result of efficiency. D’Antoni’s playbook would
    or could expand vastly.

I believe Ryan Anderson can be traded.....but there may only be about 5 realistic potential trade partners for Ryno.
    Lakers will be trying to trade Deng and Lonzo Ball to get down to near team salary of $10 million. Allows for the
    Lakers to obtain LeBron and two other Max deals plus leftover FA’s. This would subtract a potential trade partner
    from the Rockets list for trading, say Ryno and Eric Gordon. Lakers still have an amnesty clause to use. Many
    the expect the Lakers may use the clause on Loul Deng. Kawhi Leonard has provided a list of 4 teams, with
    Lakers being 1 of the 4 teams. Clippers are leverage for Lakers to act and trade for Kawhi. New York as well.
    San Antonio would do well trading Deng/Ball for Kawhi. LeBron won’t stand for Lavar Ball criticism of everyone
    including LeBron. San Antonio could make Lonzo/Murray work.......Parker/P Mills need the upgrade if you are SA.
    Deng may be trash to other teams, but Pops could redefine Deng into being efficient.

Personally I think LeBron ends up as a Laker with Kawhi and Paul George.

IF the Rockets can’t trade Ryan Anderson, yes apply the stretch provision.

Removal of Ryan and Eric Gordon would bring the Rockets team salary close to $51 million. Go after LeBron,
    Paul George or poison pill Aaron Gordon.

Then the replacement for Eric Gordon: hopes that a player will take a discount to play with Harden/CP3 & _______.
    Free agents (summer 2018)
    Avery Bradley coming off injury: 6’2”, 27 y/o, 14 pts/gm, 37% (3P%)
    Wayne Ellington: 6’4”, 30 y/o, 11 pts/gm, 39% (3P%)
    JJ Redick: 6’4”, 33 y/o, 17 pts/gm, 42% (3P%)
    Will Barton: 6’6”, 27 y/o, 16 pts/gm, 37% (3P%).....(SG/SF)
    Tyreke Evans: 6’6”, 28 y/o, 19.4 pts/gm, 40% (3P%)

Then re-sign Ariza and GGreen.

Then Max $ to CP3. Rockets will be on tab for about $40 mil in the final year of CP3 at age 37. Not feasible
    to have Capela contract increases as well (Along with another super star). I would rather go with player on
    a rookie scale contract.

Not sure if the Rockets could get a top pick this year, but I will mention them anyway:
    Would probably depend on Capela agreeing to contract for a SnT before draft.
    (C) Ayton
    (C/PF) Bagley II
    (C) Bamba
    (C) Jaren Jackson
    (SG/SF) Doncic
    (C) Wendell Carter
    ?Michael Porter?

More feasible:
    (C) Robert Williams
    (PG/SG) Landry Shamet (6’5”)
    (C) Mitchell Robinson (7’1”.....would be a gamble.....but could be huge ceiling on this guy.....pending psyche eval)
    (C/PF) Moritz Wagner

2nd rd (46th pick).....Rockets own pick
    (C) Chimezie Metu (6’10”) or (SG) Rawle Alkins (6’4”).....Rawle would help with the loss of E Gordon as a facilitator.

Depends on the details basketballholic. Give me the details and I would say yea or nea.

14. basketballholic

There is no amnesty. Lakers can attempt to buy out Deng or stretch him. The most logical thing to duo with him is to trade him with other assets to get Kawhi after they sign George and Lebron...if indeed that are able to get those two.

Would Lebron prefer to go to LA to play with Kawhi and Paul George or to Houston to play with Harden and Paul and PJ?

In my opinion....this is George's true defining moment. Does he want to compete for championships starting next season? Or did he want to go build his own team and recruit everybody she to come play with him while he takes in a max salary? Because if you look at it realistically....even if LeBron, George, and Kawhi team up.....they still need those key JYD glue guys like PJ, Ariza, Draymond, and Iggy. And they'll have no way to get those guys after going under the cap and bringing in their big 3. They went have salary to trade. And they won't have assets to develop. They're just another runner-up.

George is in a position where he could much easier force a trade than LeBron by opting in. If he told OKC he was gone but he'd opt in if they traded him here then they'd trade him for Eric Gordon and parts (Nene, possibly a pick). They might even be willing to take both Gordon and Anderson and two picks for George and Melo.....rather then have tutto watch George walk and buy out a pouting, disinterested Melo.

But once again......it's up to George. Is he willing to leave $10 million on the table to play as part of a great team? Or does he want to be the numero uno franchise player?

You see this is where it could get real interesting. And this could be the onus to get Lebron to commit quickly. And this could also be the drive of a potential George, Lebron combo here....potentially. And potentially even Melo after that.

So there is potential for both George and Melo. And if there is that potential, then there is also the potential for George, Lebron (much less potential but possible). And if there is that potential, there's also the potential for George, Lebron, and then Melo later.

And we already know if Paul takes a one-year haircut that we can get Lebron to walk here if LeBron wants to come.....by stretching Anderson and Gibb under-the-cap.

Not to mention the possibility of George opting in and getting traded to the Warriors for Iggy and other stuff..... SCREECH!

15. aelliott

A few corrections to some technical points:

1) As bbholic has already pointed out, the Amnesty Provision no longer exists in the current Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA).

2) The Poison Pill provision which allowed the Rockets to acquire Jeremy Lin and Omar Asik only applied to second round draft picks. Aaron Gordon was a first round pick (4th overall) so the Poison Pill provision wouldn't be applicable to him.

Additionally, the current CBA has changed the rules for Poison Pill contracts and it's removed most of their effectiveness.

Under the old rules, for 2nd round picks coming off of rookie deals, you were allowed to offer deals and the third year didn't have to have a fixed increase amount. Additionally, for the team making the offer, the player counted as the average average salary over the life of the contract but if the players former team matched, then it counted against their cap as the actual salary.

For example, we gave Lin and Asik identical 3 year deals that paid $5M, $5M and $15M. That deal would have counted at $8.3M/season for the Rockets. If the Knicks or Bulls had matched then the actual salaries would have been used. That $15M in the 3rd year of the deal was a problem for teams (remember this was back when the cap was much lower so $15M was close to a max deal). Both teams chose not to match rather than to take that huge cap hit in the 3rd year.

Under the rules of the new CBA, the Knicks or Bulls would have been able to choose how to count the salary (actual or average). If that option had been available for Lin and Asik then it's likely that both NYK and Chicago would have matched the deals and simply counted them at $8.3M/season as the Rockets ended up doing.

3) In your calculations, I believe that you are forgetting to include cap holds.

The projected cap is $101M

If you were able to trade Anderson and Eric Gordon without taking back any salary, then our committed salary would be reduced to $45M ($44,966,064).

Our current free agents would all have cap holds and continue to count against our salary cap.

Paul's cap hold is $35.35M, Ariza's is $12.87M and Capela's is $7M.

So with those cap holds we basically have zero cap space to sign any other free agents.

We could remove those cap holds by renouncing CP3, Ariza and Capela. That would open up $56M in cap space but we would no longer have Bird Rights on CP3, Ariza and Capela. All free agents that you signed would have to fit into that cap space. Maybe you can convince Lebron and CP3 to sign for a combined $56M but there's no way that you get Lebron, CP3 and PG13 for a combined $56M. You would also lose you MLE and you wouldn't have any way to realistically resign Ariza or Capela. Going this route could possible get you Lebron and CP3 but it would be at the cost of Anderson, Gordon, Ariza and Capela.

NOTE: That $56M in cap space figure would actually be less that that since we would have so few players on the roster. When you drop down that far, the CBA forces you to charge the rookie minimum ($800K, I believe ) for each empty roster spot below 12 players. Even without the empty roster spot charges the deal was not doable so I omitted them for simplicity.

Anything is possible if players take a big enough paycut but from a realistic approach, trading for Lebron makes the most sense. That allows you to operate above the cap, retain your exceptions and you can also retain the Bird Rights to your own free agents (i.e. Ariza, Capela).

It will be hard to acquire Lebron without gutting the team. Acquiring both Lebron and PG13 is pretty much impossible. You can attempt to concoct trade scenarios where we trade for both but salary matching rules and sign and trade rules make those difficult.

For example, maybe you decide that we can sign and trade Capela in a deal for PG13. That becomes difficult because you have to match salary within 25%. We don't have much to use for salary matching purposes and even Capela isn't as helpful as you'd think. For Capela to be signed and traded, his new deal would obviously be more than 20% higher than his old contract so he's subject to the old Base Year Compensation (BYC) designation. Under previous CBA's the BYC designation applied to all players traded but in the new CBA it only applies to players signed and traded.

The short explanation is that Capelas contract would count differently in terms of outgoing salary (for the Rockets) and incoming salary (for the other team). Let's say Capela signed for $25M. If the Rockets signed and traded him then for trade purposes, he counts as half that amount ($12.5M) in outgoing salary for the Rockets but he counts at 100% of his new salary for the team that receives him. So, say he went to OKC, then to them he counts as $25M of incoming. That BYC designation makes it much harder to make trades work.

Bottom line, is that it will be difficult to acquire either Lebron or PG13 individually. As I said, anything is doable if players will take big enough paycuts but realistically getting both isn't going to happen.

The Lakers have a similar situation. They can likely open up 2 maximum roster spots if they renoundce Randle, IT, Lopez and all other free agents and can get rid of Deng without taking anything back. Getting a third max player (either with capspace or via a trade) is very unlikely.

#175 aelliott, Jun 8, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2018
  16. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

#OpenYourMind

17. basketballholic

Good stuff here.

Just a couple things. See my worst case scenario for signing LeBron outright without losing birds rights on Paul and Ariza. Because it could happen.

Secondly, the Lakers have more options at their disposal than what your listing.

These guys want to play together bad enough in LA, Lebron AND George cutoff decide to split $60 minion for one season. That leaves Deng and an asset(s) available to trade for Kawhi. That's the most likely route that would take place if they migrated to the Lakers. They'd have a big 3 and probably Lonzo, some other rookies, and the room mle.

Thirdly, everyone should keep Kawhi in mind. He's essentially a free agent on a value contract that can be traded for and will likely be traded if the Spurs can't make a move for George,, Lebron, or somebody else. Spurs are keeping their business tight. But what happens with this free agent class will likely determine whether they break it down and send Kawho out. And Kawhi MIGHT want Houston depending on how LeBron, George, Durant, and cousins fall.

18. aelliott

In order for the Lakers to get enough cap space to sign both Lebron and PG13, they would first have to get rid of Deng while taking nothing back.

That means that you cant use Deng's salary in a trade for Leonard.

Wouldn't surprise me one bit if Leonard stays in SA and PG13 stays in OKC.

19. deshen

deshen Member

Without LeBron, Cavs will start to rebuilding. They'd try everything to get draft picks. You ask them to send out 2 picks?

How Sweet It Is! and topfive like this.
  20. CertifiedTroll

Do you remember when we didn’t think about Rubio being good? So you thought it through for us.