1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPN insider(mention of rockets as a possible landing spot for Maggette?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by steefrancis, Jan 4, 2007.

1. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Corey Maggette has averaged over 1.4 pps for his career up to and including this year, despite his paltry shooting percentages. He is a very efficient scorer. If we could get him for Sura, Bonzi, and a draft pick, it would be a steal.

2. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

In a heartbeat.

3. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Maggette has his share of injuries so that would worry me a bit. But I don't doubt his dedication, just look at his body!

To me Maggette would bring exactly what we WANT from Bonzi right now. And that is a "legit" 3rd scorer. While Maggette is not that great a long range shooter, he is pretty good off the dribble and can get to the line. That is a skillset the Rockets can use.

I wouldn't mind giving up a draft pick if that's what it took in a Sura+Bonzi+DraftPick to get Maggette.
    Keep in mind, if we want to keep Bonzi next year we will HAVE to use the MLE on him. If we get Maggette, we might give up the draft pick, but then our MLE is opened up to us to use.

Maggette on the Rockets would still come off the bench (I know he wants to start). But he would end up playing starters minutes.

4. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

Are you freaking kidding me? I would do that trade without batting an eye.

Wells is gone after this year and has hardly been contributing much anyways (although I believe he could if he could stay on the damn floor), and Sura is obviously done for.

5. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Which we need to re-sign Hayes and get a backup center. We are not going to be able to take our MLE to the market and acquire a 3rd scorer this off season and then retain Hayes. At least part of the MLE is going to have to be spent on Hayes. He's a keeper. We may be able to get by with half of the MLE, unless somebody wants to run up the bid on him. If so, I don't think I'd bat an eye about giving him most of the MLE and then using the lower exception to acquire a backup center. Forget the draft pick. Odds are he won't play anyways. And we will have to depend on VSpan and JLIII continuing to improve during the offseason.

6. Rollazn

Rollazn Member

Exactly!! I would do this in a heart beat. It would be a steal!!

7. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is Hayes' 2nd year with us. We have his "early Bird" rights.

Edit: With Sura now out, his 3.8m contract becomes appealing. Sura+Bonzi+25% can get you a $7m player. Throw in Spanoulis or Snyder, and you can get into the 9.5-10m range. It'll be interesting to see if anything materializes, but you never know - Golden State got Baron Davis a couple years ago without giving up much talent.

One player I would watch is Mike Bibby. His numbers are way down, but he's rumored to be on the block - and he makes 28 million for the next 2 years. Sura+Bonzi+Rafer for him would work. It would save Sacramento more than 9 mill and also give them a PG under contract for an additional year...but do you switch point guards midstream?

#27 NIKEstrad, Jan 4, 2007
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2007
  8. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I still say go after Andre Miller. Philly says they want to keep him but if they want to rebuild they need to suck to get a better draft pick in this summer's deep draft.

Don't know exactly how it would happen, but a real PG would do this team wonders. Part of the reason why the Rox lose so much when TMac goes down is that we have no real playmaker (aren't I a genius?)

9. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

I'm up in the air on Maggette. One part of me see's a tremendous physical specimen with great size and capable of playing both wing positions. A player that's a gifted scorer that's a gamebreaker and has a knack for attacking the basket and getting to the line. The other part of me see's a talented but flawed player that makes bad decisions, takes horrible shots, gets hurt a lot and will probably clash ego's with JVG - especially if JVG doesn't start him, which would likely be the case.

10. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

I would crap in my pants if that happens.

A "healthy" lineup of:

Yao
    Juwon
    Battier
    Tmac
    Bibby

would destroy the league. All are good shooter and it would be impossible to double Yao or Tracy.

Our bench would take a hit though.

11. ymc

ymc Member

We can do a Howard for Maggette. RealGM says the salaries match.

12. hashmander

hashmander Contributing Member

our bench wouldn't take a hit in that scenario. sura hasn't played in years, bonzi barely plays and you would be swapping bibby for rafer.

13. EssTooKayTD

EssTooKayTD Contributing Member

I believe they would put Hayes in to start once Yao comes back, so that Juwon can provide more length/height/scoring when Yao rests.

14. HeyDude

HeyDude Contributing Member

He cant shoot the 3. He'd be better than Rafer, yes, but by how much? He would be given the same open jumpers that Rafer gets. Can he hit them?

15. hooroo

hooroo Member

with bonzi the rockets have a greater chance of beating the spurs if they meet in the playoffs.

maggette would bring more scoring off the bench, but not necessarily win. if he's unhappy about not starting in clipperland, why would he be happier on the bench in houston?

i say stick with bonzi.

16. drich

drich Member

according to kenny smith he and the coach are not getting along saying he was not really injured last year. this has been going on since last year when he hurt his knee. he actually plays quite a bit as for as minutes even since they haven't been getting along. this shows that he does have the talent because usually when a player who comes off the bench isn't getting along with the coach he isn't going to play anymore. the clippers asking price is just to high that's the only reason he is still in La. just wait till the trade deadline is a little closer and we can get him pretty cheap or someone will

17. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

I'd prefer to hang on to the pick but if we HAD to deal it to be honest i'd rather try to deal it for a guy like Gerald Green rather than Maggette. This same article that mentioned this original Maggette rumor also mentioned Green as a player that's available. I know this because i'm an Insider member that posted the whole article a while back.

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?p=2669769#post2669769

18. OddsOn

OddsOn Contributing Member

Shoot I would pull that trigger right now.......and I'd even throw in Amel to sweeten the deal :D

19. lastopsuburb

lastopsuburb Member

Gerald Green is sick, but we don't have anything to give for him. Green might be the next Tmac or Lebron when he develops, especialy if Tmac can mentor him... But it isn't happning :(

20. stangend77

stangend77 Member

i say dont interfere with a good thing....4 strait sounds good to me. this team is starting to come together and when yao comes back it will be AWESOME!! :D