1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trade options?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Ehsan, Dec 25, 2006.

1. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

That's a tough deal to pass up on our end. Sign me up if they're willing.

2. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Those of you that want Steven Hunter with our TE, that is a deal Philly would gladly do. They have been trying to pawn him off a couple of times. In fact just last year New Orleans balked on a deal that would have swapped Hunter for Marc Jackson. I think because Hunter failed his physical because of a knee problem. There is something going on there with this knee.

3. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

well the thing is, talent doesn't mean much for phily right now. all they care about is cap money and draft picks. we could probably have miller for rafer and sura if we gave them our '07 first round pick. the problem is, that's not worth it for the rockets.

so since we can't attract them with our picks, we have to rely on giving them capspace (which we don't have much of). the TE for hunter is not only a good move for us (esp since yao's out) but they would love it. maybe they would be more willing to give us a good deal on miller if we take hunters contract off thier hands.

4. New Jack

New Jack Member

Howard & Mutombo for Foyle & Ike Diogu

After watching Jeff Foster and Al Harrington gobble up 30 rebounds, I would be looking to make a move for a 4/5. Howard and Mutombo are just too old and slow to rely on for an extended period of time. With Yao out for who knows how long, we need to push the tempo and we can't do that with Mutombo and Howard as our 2 main big men.

Foyle's contract is similar to Howard. Same years, but a little more money.

Diogu gives you the same hustle, rebounding, and defense that Hayes gives you, but he's a couple of inches taller, stronger (can legitimately play both the 4/5 positions), and has a more polished offensive game.

5. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

^ Why would Golden State give up Diogu?

Is there any way we could possibly acquire Andre Miller? He doesn't shoot threes well, but he's big, he can run a team, he's a good passer, and he can score close to the basket.

6. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

just thought of this similarity between my proposed andre miller trade, and the deal phily made for AI.

joe smith ($7M ending), miller, 2 first round picks = AI.

sura gets a buy out, TE trade for hunter ($7M ending combined), alston, second round pick = miller?

seems like iverson deal cut to scale.

7. baller4life315

Bonzi & Sura for Artest (if the Maggette/Artest swap falls through)

Play Artest at PF. Survive all the regular season injuries then roll into the playoffs with a lineup of:

PG Alston + the hopeful addition of a quality shooter
    SG T-Mac
    SF Battier
    PF Artest
    C Yao

As if stopping Yao and McGrady in the playoffs wouldn't be a big enough task. Now teams would have to worry about two First-Team All Defensive Team stars eyeing up their star players. That's a championship level lineup right there.

8. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

It's interesting. I could see the Kings being interested in that only in so much as they liked Bonzi when he was there and had success there. Sura retires so the Kings dont have to worry about the salary. And they get a cheaper alternative with Bonzi than with Artest. I think the Rockets would probably have to give up a "protected" 1st round pick though as a sweetener. Maybe Top 20 protected or lottery protected.

Artest is tempting. You get perhaps a legit 3rd scorer and lockdown defender. And we don't really give up too much in the deal if Artest goes wacko.

Tmac/Artest/Battier would be quite a troika of wing defenders.

Artest is a risk, but sometimes you have to take those risks to get to the next level.

9. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

No matter how unhappy they are with Artest's attitude, they know Bonzi is a one-year rental and won't just give Artest away. Just my opiniion.

10. New Jack

New Jack Member

Diogu doesn’t seem to be in Don Nelson’s plans. You would think that with Troy Murphy going down to injury, Diogu would get minutes, but Nelson has been giving all the playing time at the 4 to Dunleavy and Matt Barnes.

I think getting rid of Foyle's contract and picking up some players with experience in the front court (which they lack) would be enough to entice them to move Diogu.

11. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Well, they may feel like it's diminishing returns on Artest and want to move him sooner rather than later. That's what I get from the things I have read recently. They can still resign Bonzi with their MLE next year if they want. And Bonzi liked it there.

But in general I agree. I think they will get better offers than what we can offer.

12. hooroo

hooroo Member

With the expiring contracts they'll be far enough under the cap to go after a big name player in free agency.

13. Rookie34

Rookie34 Member

I think this trade might work:

Marc Jackson (C/PF) and Brandon Bass (SF)

for

Scott Padgett (SF) and Bob Sura (SG)/2nd rounder

The Hornets need a shooter and with Peja, Paul and West out they could use Padgett! We already have good shooters like Head and Novak, so no big deal.

We get Jackson who can play good D at the center position, he also has size and scoring ability. Bass is a young talent who can develop in his second season!

14. baller4life315

ESPN INSIDER......From Chris Sheridan's "Tradeable Players" article

1. Corey Maggette, Clippers

It's now been a full year since the Clips first tried to deal him to Indiana in a trade that fell through when Maggette couldn't pass the Pacers' physical, and he -- just like every other key player on the Clippers -- has had a precipitous drop in production this season while waiting for another deal to go down. The prevailing belief around the NBA is that Maggette will be gone from the Clippers within the next two weeks.

Possible destinations: Kings, Heat, Jazz, Spurs, Rockets

Here's the rest of the article....

2. Ron Artest, Kings
    One major player agent, usually the overly cautious type, went so far as to tell Insider he "guarantees" Artest will be traded, saying Sacramento has had a change of heart after believing earlier this season that the best way to move forward would be to deal Mike Bibby. One team to keep in mind in the whole Artest mix is Miami, as the Heat's interest in Allen Iverson showed how Pat Riley -- one of the few who would welcome the challenge of coaching a head case like Artest -- is looking to do something major in his effort to repeat.

Possible destinations: Clippers, Heat, Warriors

• ESPN.com's Trade Machine: Make a deal for Ron Artest

3. Morris Peterson, Raptors
    He'll undoubtedly be gone from Toronto by the time the trade deadline arrives in late February, but he'll be gone by mid-January if Bryan Colangelo can get some dependable size or a low first-round pick for a player whose usefulness in Toronto has expired and whose $4.5 million salary comes off the cap in June. And because the Raptors are about $2 million under the cap, they can take back a higher-salaried player than usual. Interest from around the league heated up after Peterson lost his starting job to Fred Jones.

Possible destinations: Celtics, Heat, Hornets, Jazz, Bulls, Pacers

• ESPN.com's Trade Machine: Make a deal for Morris Peterson

4. Jeff McInnis, Nets
    He's clogging up a much-needed roster spot in New Jersey, where Rod Thorn has turned desperate following the season-ending knee injury to Nenad Krstic. McInnis's $3.6 million salary comes off the cap in June, and Thorn is now said to be willing to include a lottery-protected No. 1 draft pick in a deal. Portland reportedly turned down McInnis and Jason Collins for Jamaal Magloire.

Possible destinations: Heat, 76ers

• ESPN.com's Trade Machine: Make a deal for Jeff McInnis

5. P.J. Brown, Bulls
    Currently going through a cooling-off period after publicly expressing his displeasure with his role in Chicago, where he lost his starting job early in the season. Plenty of teams want him, but the Bulls want to hang on to his expiring $8 million contract -- and Mike Sweetney's -- until closer to the trade deadline, when Kevin Garnett or another capable low-post scorer could come onto the market.

Possible destinations: Nets, Lakers, Mavericks

• ESPN.com's Trade Machine: Make a deal for P.J. Brown

6. James Posey, Heat
    His expiring $6.4 million contract is one of the few chips Pat Riley has in his arsenal, along with youngsters Dorell Wright and Wayne Simien and the expiring contract of Jason Kapono. A package of all four, plus a No. 1 pick, could get the Heat a $12 million player or players in return.

• ESPN.com's Trade Machine: Make a deal for James Posey

7. Earl Boykins, Nuggets
    He certainly hasn't looked expendable playing alongside Allen Iverson in Denver's last two games, but his role and his number of shot attempts will both dry up when Carmelo Anthony finishes his 15-game sucker-punch suspension, and the Nuggets are expected to try to pawn off a salary for a draft pick to avoid paying the luxury tax.

• ESPN.com's Trade Machine: Make a deal for Earl Boykins

8. Gerald Green, Celtics
    Amid all the duplication and youth on Boston's roster, Danny Ainge is much more reluctant to part with Delonte West, Al Jefferson and Tony Allen than he is with Green, who had 18 points, eight rebounds, four blocks and two steals in a rare start Tuesday night at Denver.

• ESPN.com's Trade Machine: Make a deal for Gerald Green

9. Mike Dunleavy, Warriors
    We were tempted to put him higher on this list, but various voices around the league cautioned there's more smoke than fire here, in large part because of his base-year compensation status, although there's still more interest in Junior than there is in another Warrior long rumored to be on the block, Troy Murphy.

• ESPN.com's Trade Machine: Make a deal for Mike Dunleavy

10. Jamaal Magloire, Trail Blazers
    Has a big contract ($8.3 million) that comes off the cap after this season, but Portland seems set on keeping him until closer to the Feb. 23 trade deadline.

• ESPN.com's Trade Machine: Make a deal for Jamaal Magloire

Honorable mention: Bonzi Wells, Rockets (trade eligible after Jan. 5); Jerome James, Knicks; DJ Mbenga, Mavericks; Beno Udrih, Spurs; Eddie Jones, Grizzlies; Andre Miller, 76ers; Matt Harpring, Jazz; Jackie Butler, Spurs.

Chris Sheridan covers the NBA for ESPN Insider. To e-mail Chris, click here.

15. drich

drich Member

you know what is so funny is that about a week ago on I read we should never think about trading luther head hate to be the one to say i told u all so but we should have let him go right after the lakers game. could have gotten something pretty nice for him and our TE and another player. Maybe artest, maggette, or murphy. hell i say trade him for mo pete. he makes to many bad decesions and dominates the ball to much he has to go. Just look at what he has done since the lakers game.

16. anitasri

anitasri Member

Not happening. Luther is money from the 3 point line. The PG avatar of him is a JVG Fetish- can't blame Luther for that. Unless it involves a very tempting upgrade at PF- luther will stay.

17. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

trading luther doesnt make a whole lot of sense, unless you get a good big man in return.

Luther is already one of the leagues best 3pt shooters and the kid improved leaps and bounds from last year. In another 2 years luther could be a mini arenas.

18. mogrod

mogrod Contributing Member

If you can get something decent that fills a hole by trading Luther, then do it.

But, I don't think he has as much trade value as many here believe.

There is not a big market for a 6'2 guard who can't play the point effectively and is not a scorer. He is strictly a spot-up 3 pt. shooter.

I really believe they drafted him hoping he would be a good combo-guard in the mold of Antonio Daniels but he has shown no improvement what so ever at making good decisions with the ball.

It would be one thing if he was good at creating his own shot (like a Monte Ellis, Ben Gordon, etc) or could create shots for others, but he does neither.

He is expendable in my eyes especially once Snyder comes back. The only requirement I would have is that, whoever you get in return, doesn't hurt you in the 3 pt. department.

19. hooroo

hooroo Member

I think I remember the Rockets drafted him as a point guard.