1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPN Insider: Chandler ranked 9th among SFs

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by awc713, Aug 25, 2014.

1. yunac010

yunac010 Member

Kawhi Leonard should at least be #4.

2. RealRocFan47

RealRocFan47 Member

George's injury takes him out of the rankings, but his projected winning percentage (.605) would slot him third, behind Durant and in front of Anthony.

3. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Giannis over Kawhi....LOL.

4. eMat

eMat Contributing Member

Every one of these WARP-based lists that I've seen has been terrible. It's like they're made by a troll looking to incite. Not sure how WARP is calculated but if it can only get the top 2 right (which is actually better than it normally does), it's a ****ty measure not worthy of discussion.

5. apollo33

apollo33 Member

who the **** put the finals MVP that low

list is now void

6. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

I like the greek freak and all but he is super overrated on this list

7. oelman44

oelman44 Member

Yeah, wtf. I'm seeing this so underrated that they get way overrated trend lately. Is everyone just obsessed with making themselves smart by finding sleepers?

8. tzou88

tzou88 Member

The fact that Gordon Hayward and Giannis ranked higher than a NBA FINALS MVP is freaking asinine.

9. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

heres what i made in my thread: http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=256961

[​IMG]
    shows SF's who will make between 5-16 mill next season and thier production vs the contract.

my rank would be based on my metric ORP in the thread (including now the max contracts and rookie contracts excluding the 2014 rookie class)

1. durant
    2. LBJ
    3. Melo
    4. Gay
    5. Gallinari
    6. Leonard
    7. Evans
    8. Ariza
    9. Batum
    10. Parsons

10. Num1RoXfaN

Num1RoXfaN Member

Why the hell is Leonard so under rated?? The man is a proven winner!!!
    1.LBJ
    2.KDUB
    3.Leonard
    4.Melo
    5.Batum
    6.Parson
    7.Iggy
    8.Ariza
    9.Atetapenko

11. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

can we stop with these Chandler Parsons threads, he isn't a Rocket anymore

if Jeremy Lin fans get blasted for making threads about him, then the same rules must apply for Chandler

12. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

If you'd actually read the last ten or so posts, you would see people are having a lively discussion of SF's, including how ****ing underrated Leonard is (and I agree). You're the one who brought it back to some random Maverick.

As to the topic, the list was clearly generated with a statistics obsession, and Leonard just doesn't grade out well in that scenario. It shows the limitation of basketball statistics more than just about any other example I can imagine.

Leonard's record, W-L, in regular season and playoffs is not really paralleled on that list, outside of Lebron.

13. what

what Member

I would take Kidd-Gilcrest over Hayward any day of the week. He is probably the most underrated player in the league next to Mike Conley.

14. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

well then the topic title should not include Chandler in it then

Leonard had a good finals series but his regular season was a bit average

15. PhatPharaoh

PhatPharaoh Member

LOL Leonard over Melo?????? No Rudy Gay?

16. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

This is the most overused truism on ESPN...well everyone knows from physics that nothing can travel faster than the speed of light. What Rick Carlisle presupposes is...what if it can?

[​IMG]

17. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

i assume WARP does not include recruiting value

18. eMat

eMat Contributing Member

You're painting with too wide a brush. Any function of data is a statistic. But the function you use can be such that it provides insight, or such that it is a worthless excuse for an "analysis". The WARP seems much closer to the latter.

19. baubo

baubo Member

I won't say whether these are good or bad, as I personally have never really cared for rankings, but most people tend to have issues with them for pretty poor reasons.

For example, take Leonard's ranking here. He'll probably average somewhere between 25-30mpg next season. Perhaps less. Perhaps he'll even take some games off due to Pop's rest days system. He got 1900 minutes last season. In comparison, Parsons got 2700 minutes. Which means that Leonard has to be about 44% better (by whatever measure this is based upon) than Parsons to have the same WARP over the course of a season.

If you use his winning% instead of WARP, which seems to be more of a per-minute type stat, then Leonard is tied with Melo and Hayward for 3rd. Which would likely result in much less uproar.

Both Parsons and Gay have 53% winning rate, which seem to suggest they're up there based on volume and not quality. Probably one of the reasons why Morey doesn't value him as much as raw stats would suggest.

20. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Yes to the 2nd point, meh to the first. My point is that making any list just based on a statistic (no matter how good, how appropriate) should only be titled by that statistic. "SF's Ranked by Projected WARP." Instead of "Rating the Top Ten Small Forwards in the NBA." If you see what I mean.

I'm splitting hairs. But I do think Leonard gets dinged because of what he's asked to do with the Spurs and because he doesn't log the total playing time that some of the other SF's do. He averaged 29 minutes in Pop's system. (Oh, and when I looked this up... dude is only 22 years old. Whoa.)