1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Draft lottery possible rockets picks

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DCHAMP, Mar 20, 2010.

?

WHO do you think the rockes should draft

1. A power forward that will possibly be a carl landry type player

58 vote(s)
    13.7%
  2. A backup for yao who the rockets have need for a while

247 vote(s)
    58.4%
  3. Get a scoring wing in the draft and get a center or PF in the offseason

118 vote(s)
    27.9%
  1. redao

redao Member

whoever Adelman likes. Just don't draft on needs.

2. MONON

MONON Member

Yes! The NBA at the time of that pick was a 5/4 league, not a 1/2/3 league like it is now.

As for this draft, you either draft the best player available or trade up to get someone you reeeaaaly want.

3. ktbballplaya

ktbballplaya Member

Why do people like Monroe so much? I've watch him play plenty times and hes not impressive to the extent yall talk about him as.

4. SA Rocket

SA Rocket Contributing Member

Yea! Only six times to generate a lottery that got us Wall!! :grin:

5. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Greg Monroe is a stud. I think his most valuable attribute is his ability at his size to dribble and penetrate (very similar to Amare) Plus, he already is a decent shooter and pretty much does a little of everything else.

I think he is a project because I think he has superstar potential, I think he would also make an impact next year.

I want Cousins, Monroe or Aminu.

6. mi0304

mi0304 Member

When everybody thought we gonna take Spiltter or that kind of big man for backup of Yao, We've got....

Aaron Brooks.

Just trust in Morey.

7. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

I agree the best player available is a better draft strategy than positional need 9 times out of 10.

Thankfully, this is a draft littered with frontcourt guys, so that's fantastic.

As far as the jam at the 3 and 4, I certainly get the sense that Morey intends to put a package together to chase one of the top free agent forwards this summer (Bosh, LeBron, Amare, Boozer, Gay) or possibly a guy under contract to a team in financial straits (Paul).

Should a 3-for-1 go down, that opens up a lot of room in the roster. The number of guys we have going into their last year is impressive:
    Battier, Hayes, Jefferies, (Andersen), (Taylor)
    And Yao, Hill, and Chase, but I don't see them getting moved.

8. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

trade down and get Gani Lawal.

6'8" and skilled. I think he'd fit well

9. towW

towW Member

Best player available.

10. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

Best player available and all that, but I don't know why no one's discussing point guard. I would actually go for a point guard in the draft, someone who can back up Brooks and Lowry, and then spend free agency getting a big (hopefully Camby.) I don't think we can rely on Lowry to play a full season given how he plays, and god knows we could have used a third PG this season,

11. Niaperzly

Niaperzly Member

Draft pick will be used in a sign and trade for Bosh.

12. Pete Chilcutt

Pete Chilcutt Contributing Member

This. We can always take that pick and trade for immediate help or use our picks from NYK

13. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Maybe Boston will decide to implode and we can offer-

Jeffries+Ariza+Hill+Andersen (granted we probably wouldn't have enough filler)2011 first rounder and 2012 first rounder

For Pierce and Garnett

(Obviously a crazy scenario, just came up in my mind, I just wonder how long Boston thinks they have)

Yao/Chuck
    Garnett/Scola
    Pierce/Battier
    Martin/Budinger
    Brooks/Lowry

14. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

You always draft for the best player. If you need to fill a position, go into free-agency or buy a 2nd rounder like Craig Brackins or Luke Babbit.

15. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

By the time our pick comes around,there may be no real immediate impact players.
    Best player available is the only way to go. We can ill afford a project based on need,who may have more weaknesses than strengths.

16. desi tmac91

desi tmac91 Member

Best player available although I'm pulling for Donatas Motiejunas.

17. desi tmac91

desi tmac91 Member

Pierce and Garnett (KG especially) aren't worth that much anymore. Crazy I know.

Garnett is already breaking down and Pierce will be 33 next year. Both are just bad contracts now.

18. Nook

Nook Member

You always take the best player available unless you have a serious pressing need and evaluate the talent level as being almost identical.

This draft is littered with power forwards and shooting guards. If you look at the players expected to be available, it is almost certain that one of the guards (Henry) or forwards (Monroe) will slip to where the Rockets draft, especially with a few international players certain to move up into the lottery.

Don't take a center for need... just ask Golden State when they took Todd Fuller over Kobe Bryant.

19. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I think Morey could get a trade into the top 5 done. I think the top 5 are going to be good players.

It would be difficult (it would be more awesome if we pull a Chicago and get the #1 pick...) but it'd take probably both of NYs picks and a bonafide player from us. Scola? Brooks? Ariza?

Although Morey says he will replace Landry in the draft...I think that was before Jordan Hill. Now our weakest position going into next year will be SF.

Ariza is always a unknown from night to night and how much longer does Shane have until he just falls off the cliff?

If we can move up there are some good SFs to draft. Wesley Johnson, Al-Farooq, Stanley Robinson (who could fall to us any ways...)

Any ways no way we draft a PF we are loaded at that position...unless we trade away Hill or Scola and I bet most of us here wouldn't want that.

The funny thing is no matter who we draft it will be hard to get PT on this team. Seriously. Just think if we don't trade someone this will be our depth chart.

Brooks/Lowry-Good luck finding mins rookie PG unless your name is John wall...then Brooks would be traded most likely.

Martin/Shane- This is the best spot for someone to get PT at. Because we don't have a true SG behind Martin. So it makes sense mocks have us getting Bradley or Henry (who i would be glad to have.)

Ariza/Chase- no PT here either because Shane slides in at SF too...

Scola/Hill/Andersen/Yao- none at all for Monroe.

So yes BPA is a good idea we really don't have any glaring needs for next year, its all about improving on a already strong position. I think we will draft a wingman though. Hopefully we pull off a Chicago though and draft John Wall :grin:

20. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

If we can snag Johnson someone I think he is going to be a very good nba player.
    I'd say the same for Patterson (even though people cry because he is undersized), the guy can play the game and brings it every night. Furthermore it seems that his bball IQ and "veteran" leadership is pretty advanced.

Bledsoe is also someone i'd like to require thats been under the radar, though I doubt he'll declare this year. If he stays and becomes the #1 PG he has a shot at being a lotto pick.