1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Draft lottery possible rockets picks

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DCHAMP, Mar 20, 2010.

?

WHO do you think the rockes should draft

1. A power forward that will possibly be a carl landry type player

58 vote(s)
    13.7%
  2. A backup for yao who the rockets have need for a while

247 vote(s)
    58.4%
  3. Get a scoring wing in the draft and get a center or PF in the offseason

118 vote(s)
    27.9%
  1. meh

meh Contributing Member

There's ZERO chance Morey takes a tweener like Landry with a lottery pick. There's a reason why lottery picks are so valuable. It's because you don't have to sacrifice size like you do with late picks.

IMO, Morey's plans for the pick is as follows.

Plan A: Use his genius to make it turn into a top 3 pick and get Wall/Turner/Cousins(?)
    Plan B: Package it in a trade for another star/near-star level player.
    Plan C: Package it in a trade to trade up for someone Morey's desperately in love with, or for someone like Rubio.
    Plan D: Use it on a true PF/C big man like Monroe if someone's there.
    Plan E: Trade it along with an expiring contract like Jeffries for a rotation player which fits a need.

2. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

uh, obviously, it took him 65 games to reach that point...there's this thing called 'improvement'. And Thabeets only played 3 or 4 games at that level, so its too early to reach any conclusions. Who knows what Tyreke will average after a NBA offseason.

3. BasketballMind

BasketballMind Contributing Member

(sigh) it doesn't matter cause Thabeet was already off the board when it was their time to pick....goodnight/goodmorning

4. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

W'ere talking about Memphis with the no. 2 pick, not Sac. or , even if we're not, we're just using hypothetical situations to argue our point

5. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Pretty sure Morey is gonna pick someone no one expects. We all cry outrage untill he ends up raping the league.

6. OremLK

OremLK Member

He's played 55 games. Those are his averages over 55 games.

7. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Farokhmanesh has brass balls but is Steve Alford light. I would be shocked if there is a place in the league for him.

8. DCHAMP

DCHAMP Member

9. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

lol that's pretty much how it always is. i guess this year was the glaring exception when we got c-bud and everyone was wanting him.

eventually a team with less than 10 lotto balls is gonna win the lotto. i predict this year it will be us. :cool:

10. YaoMac09

YaoMac09 Member

Obviously draft the best player available.

Gvies you way more options.

11. daeyeth

daeyeth Member

I voted for a Yao backup and expected most of the ppl to have voted for a Landry-esque player, but I was wrong which is very interesting. I guess I overestimated Landry love! I voted for a Yao back up because I'd like to see the Rockets get more size.

12. tosweet68

tosweet68 Member

Morey has already mentioned a couple of things when interviewed over the last month or so.....

He will replace Landry via the draft.
    He will make a significant trade in the offseason

Not everyone that is on this team now, will be when next season starts...and that is why it is hard to predict what Morey will do with our early 1st round pick.

13. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

This.

And try to solve our big man problems through trade (s&t) this offseason to get a PROVEN big man.

14. Tiger23

Tiger23 Member

eh, we just need a big man that has the potential to start.. none of this 'carl landry type player' crap, we need a better player than that

15. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

It kinda depends on what Morey's plans are for Hill. If he is going to be moved in the offseason for Bosh then we need a backup defensive big, ala Alabi. If we are going to keep him, then Hill can be our backup center and we should draft a scoring PF. Another alternative is a playmaking 2 who can play some PG. Avery Bradley maybe.

16. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

I started thinking about this after the Kansas game, but Cole Aldrich's stock has definitely taken a hit after his senior season (last year at this time he was projected top 5). Morey's got a decision to make in next year's draft about whether to draft the best player with the highest ceiling, go straight for the draft pick that can help the most right now, or trade the pick as part of a package that can apprehend us a veteran that would help right now even more.

It's a lot like the 2006 draft in that sense. And if Morey decides that the rookie who can best help now is his pick, then it's hard to argue against Aldrich for that selection. Monroe might have better hands and he might be black, but he is not tougher and a better defender than Aldrich. He takes more space in the paint as well, and would be an ideal back-up behind Yao in lieu of not being able to get a guy with more offensive upside (who would in that case be a starter on most other teams in the NBA). Think Gortat-lite.

And that doesn't even factor the idea that Monroe has played himself into the top 8 or so picks in the lottery. We'll probably be around 12-14.

17. Zfan

Zfan Member

Just draft the best talent available will be very nice. I don't think this team badly needs a big man.

Hill is showing physical talent that he might be a decent backup PF/C espcecially when the team is running a high tempo game. And personally I don't want to let Hayes go. He's a JVG type role player. Give him 5-10 mins then he'll give you a couple of defensive stops.

And don't forget another big guy who is called the worst nba player by a Knicks chick. He can play some D also.

18. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

If Aldrich falls to us, I'd expect Morey to snatch him up without hesitation (unless a major talent also fell, i.e. Cousins). Morey likes productive college players and Aldrich was top 5 this year in blocks and rebounds. And he would make the perfect backup/insurance/successor to Yao.

19. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

He's a 19 yr old, legit, agile 7'0 that has the ability to put it on the floor and slash to the basket, also is developing a nice shot of the dribble....not to mention he has range all the way to NBA three....

If we were to get him, we would have to be patient in developing him given how raw he is, but with that said he has one of the highest ceilings in this draft....he was even considered the #2 overall pick early in the season....

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/E37MBYJ-w7k&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/E37MBYJ-w7k&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

PS. his favorite player is Scola(he mentions him in the video as Scola Luis)....;)

--RB

20. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

So you'd skip Michael Jordan to draft Sam Bowie because you already have Jim Paxson and Clyde Drexler?