1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Draft lottery possible rockets picks

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DCHAMP, Mar 20, 2010.

?

WHO do you think the rockes should draft

1. A power forward that will possibly be a carl landry type player

58 vote(s)
    13.7%
  2. A backup for yao who the rockets have need for a while

247 vote(s)
    58.4%
  3. Get a scoring wing in the draft and get a center or PF in the offseason

118 vote(s)
    27.9%
  1. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

Good information.

Egghead might come around and say that CD made the ultimate decision. CD was following Les's orders to do what Morey wants. CD was being pushed out the door for Morey at the end of the season. Les could have kicked him out of the draft room and used Morey to finish up the deal.

2. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I think this is an old outdated debate. The situation has so completely changed that I don't even think its worth discussion. CD was the GM at the time but I have seen compelling info that DM wanted Battier. Also remember that JVG was coach and it's a GM's responsibility to try and get players to fit that coaches style and now we have RA as coach.

Bottom line is that I have been convinced that DM at the very least was on board with that trade but certainly CD and JVG had input and wanted it as well. Both of those guys are now completely out of the picture and DM is now the GM in title and responsibility and drafting players to fit RA's style of coaching.

3. BetterThanEver

The CBA doesn't allow you trade consecutive 1st draft picks, unless you have a draft pick in one of those years. It doesn't have to be their own 1st round pick.

http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#Q73

So if a perennial lottery bound team like the Clippers had acquired a 1st round pick from perennial playoff bound team like the Lakers for 2012, the Clippers could trade their own lottery picks in 2011 and 2012 as long as they keep the Lakers' late 1st rounder for 2012.

4. crash5179

I think where that rule helps the Rockets is that we have the ability to trade three consecutive (possibly all lottery) 1st round picks for a top 5 pick in this years draft since it would satisfy the Stepien rule of having a 1st rounder in 2010 and 2012.

5. BetterThanEver

Which team is that from?

6. BetterThanEver

never mind. It's the trading partner's 1st.

7. BetterThanEver

That's pretty incredible. Morey would have to be 99% sure that the player will succeed and not another Eddie Griffin nightmare.

8. crash5179

You know, that thought crossed my mind! As much as I would be excited to get Cousins he is the one player that has the biggest chance at turning into another Eddie Griffin. But when you get a legit chance I think you have to go for the home run.

9. LifeisButaDream

Who will stern choose next to get the number 1 pick? :grin:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0TgJE7C5wiU&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0TgJE7C5wiU&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>