1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Doing anything 'Special' to gear up for Playoffs?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by IROC it, Mar 30, 2007.

1. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

I thread I posted in in the Hangout about soft drink prices reminded me of something my son and I did to get ready for the playoffs.

I was wondering if anybody else does something like this, perhaps other parents to spark some interest (and train them right) in our little Rockets fans...

My son (now 7) and I got out the masking tape, and some grey and red spray paint, along with the official measurements of the halfcourt... and with the best accuracy we could muster on a driveway with a natural slope into an alley, we marked off the free throw line, width of the lane, and some of the highschool three point arc.

It ran off the driveway a bit... but it works...

Now the part that was the "SPECIAL" for the playoffs - consider again, we live in Plano, TX -just minutes from the dreaded home of the Dallas Mavericks, the AAC - the special part was that I freehanded, or "tagged" the latest Rockets logo on the driveway.

The other part of our recent ritual has been the viewing of the 1994 finals on off nights when current season games are not viewable up here...

Anyone else doing their part to gear up for the playoffs? Especially if it involves teaching the next generatoin the importance of supporting the Rockets? Please share...

btw- here are the pics from my cell phone of the driveway (that's my son in pre-jump shot mode)... :cool:

[​IMG]

And here's the close-up of the freehanded logo...

[​IMG]
    Hopefully we've inspired you to take action, before it's too late! :cool:

#1 IROC it, Mar 30, 2007
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2007
  2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I like to go to Utah and ski all over their stupid mountains. Maybe fall a couple of times and take out some of their children.

3. rodrick_98

rodrick_98 Contributing Member

i love this idea, i think i'll copy it... it'll fit nicely on the sidewalk between two mav fan houses.

4. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Man IROC it, I could soooooooo kick your son's butt at basketball.

I don't think I "gear up." I just show up in front of the television.

5. IROC it

Yea, well... you know up here it's hard to even get a score on the Rockets games from TV (ESPN? Please).. so man I'm glad for Clutchfans...

So when I can't see the games during the regular season, we're watching the '94 DVDs! (Up to game four now, btw)..

And, Kam, forget my son... I'll go Dream Shake on your mug, or even Otis Thorpe dunk on you...

...so long as the goal is adjusted down to 7'6". :D :D

Watch out, the cops will be sending out the gang unit to investigate the "tagging" in red... lol. :p

6. OGKashMoney

OGKashMoney Member

That is freaking awesome... To bad I can't do that. I just talk **** to all my Lakers/Mavs/Suns friends about how good the Rockets are and throw all their stats in their faces...

P.S. I'm looking for a Rockets foam finger, but its impossible to find one in LA and can't seem to find any online. Anyone know the next best route to take in my search? I would love to have it by the playoffs b/c my friends (all anti-rockets) will be coming over and it would be great to just wave it in their faces.

7. King of 40 Acres

King of 40 Acres Contributing Member

I'm wearing red or silver every day until the Rockets are eliminated from the playoffs.

This means one article of clothing will be red or silver - T-shirt, hat, shoes, tie, slacks, you get the idea.

8. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

First of all IROC your kid is a cutie! Does he play ball at school or is he too young?

Second of all, kudos to ya both for the fun driveway painting. Very snazzy job, looks pretty good for no template. :)

As for what I am doing to gear up for the playoffs.. I finally purchased league pass so I can watch the other teams we may be facing in the playoffs.

I am one of those people who likes to study the games. I'm not big on statistics like some of the people here, I'm more about watching the coaching, offensive sets and defensive strategies... without the numbers :)

Unfortunately I haven't been able to watch all the gamesI have dvr'd yet. *which is getting full so I have to watch them this weekend*

I also bought two t-shirts at the mall, a Yao and a Tmac to go with my Chuck Hayes jersey! I just wish I could wear them all to work! Next ones I will have to order is Battier and Head.

9. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

i rub honey on my thighs

10. Sextuple Double

I'd trade Vspan for your kid right now :D

11. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

I'm just brainstorming signs for the games...

Evan

12. RiceDaddy7

RiceDaddy7 Member

No sex with hot women until the Rockets win it all!!!

Or maybe that was just a coincidence.

13. OddsOn

OddsOn Contributing Member

Awesome job dude! That will surely PO the neighbors :p

One question though, did you get this approved by the homeowners association? :D

14. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

gotta a question:

the free throw line is 15 ft from the front of the rim, correct? or is it from the middle of the rim? i never was too sure of it.

edit: n/m. just googled it. it's 15 feet from the backboard.

#14 macalu, Mar 30, 2007
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2007
  15. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

buying the new samsung 61' LED light engine TV

16. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

thanks for the heads up back in February, tinman

17. email2003

email2003 Member

What all the fans need to do when we start the playoffs against Utah is wear RED at every playoff home game. Sorta like what the Heat did last year.

18. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I've been wearing my Rockets shoes every game day and I suspect that won't change. I started clutching my Rockets headband during the last game and may break out the wristbands tonight.

19. IROC it

Thanks... he is just finishing 1st grade, so he really just started getting an interest in hoops... he also plays at church during his Wednesday night class Royal Rangers meeting... a little young for school ball, but we're looking into a "biddie b-ball" league or maybe an "upwards" league. I don't want to push him. I'd rather nurture that desire to get out there and practice dribbling and shooting. I'm working with him on the importance of not traveling and/or walking right now, teaching him pivot foot, etc. He really has never even tried a dribble that I know of until about three or four weeks ago, and he's already attempting switching hands. I'm swollen with parental pride, I'm sure you can tell. I think I remember going to games when I was four (his first games at the TC were at 4 years old), but then really taking full interest at age 7 or 8... so he's just noticing that he can play. The difference here is that my dad and I never got outside and did anything with my love of the game. If I played it was at a friends house, or in P.E. only... :( Looking back, we had a nice flat driveway too. But hey, I can work on my son with what little I know... and maybe "assist" in a few choices to play hoops. The funny thing about my dad was that he played at San Jac when he was in college, but injured his back and never really could do much from then on.. so it's not like I'm upset with him, don't read that into it... I'm just glad I can get out there with my son now... :D :D

As far as the painting, we may, as the weather wears it off, go with a more elaborate logo, or even cut a template out of cardboard now that you mention it. It was cool too... I asked him, "Which team's logo should we put on the driveway?" He says without missing a beat, "Rockets! And mom will be surprised too!" And I said, "Yep, mom'll like that!" :cool:

Thanks... the neighbors are mostly old people that wouldn't see it anyway. There are a few "north Dallas teens" around the other side of the culdesac so if it gets vandalized I know who to look for. ;)

We have a HOA, but it is not that strict... mostly the rules apply to the front side of the house. We also have no yearly HOA fees, so it's mostly just an unorganized, common sense, keep-your-home-from-looking-like-a-dump thing. I do have one neighbor though... :mad: At least they've had a handy man around lately. I guess you never know their financial picture, or their ability, etc.

---

btw- wearing red or silver everyday?? Wow, that's quite a dedicated wardrobe!! :eek:

20. IROC it

Lol.. just saw this again...

Ummm... nope. Not even if you throw in Dream, Clyde, Mad Max, Sam I Am, Big Shot Bob, MJ, Shaq and Larry Legend and all of their collective salaries over the course of their careers.

In my eyes (and whether it's in hoops or not) my son's got way more upside potential then all of them combined. ;)