1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Disappointing comments from CB.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by chinese, Apr 5, 2001.

Tags:
  1. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

If it's so bad, why don't you tell us so we can be the judge? You started a thread talking about how offensive Charles was, but gave no reason why.

------------------
    Meow!

2. Hydra

Hydra Member

It showed Charles flat out stuff it right back in Wang's grill, and he said you can't bring that weak stuff in here. And he was right, if you are 7'1 and are getting straight up rejected by a guy 6'4 then you are not ready to play in the NBA. That was of course 5 years ago, so maybe Wang has improved, maybe not. We shall see.

------------------
    "Of course, thats just my opinion, I could be wrong" -- Dennis Miller

3. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

I'm Chinese, and as long as Charles was joking, I guess I'm not offended. This doesn't make me think of Charles as a better person though. How's he gonna like it if someone makes a crack about his race when he runs for Governor of Alabama ?

------------------
    "norm, would you like to buy an indian scalp ? This deal isn't gonna make or break me Norm, so don't jerk me around." Harry Carey "Norm, if I had a mohawk scalp, I wouldn't be sitting here talking to you."

4. gr8-1

I've seen Dream in his prime get flat-out rejuected by Charles. These things happen.

------------------
    "norm, would you like to buy an indian scalp ? This deal isn't gonna make or break me Norm, so don't jerk me around." Harry Carey "Norm, if I had a mohawk scalp, I wouldn't be sitting here talking to you."

5. Band Geek Mobster

When I was talking about someone would get flamed if they called zhi zhi chong chong or whatever I had this thread in mind. After re-reading it thought it didn't seem like the Fonz got that much criticism.

Anyway I'm not offended by what Charles said, then again I'm not Chinese. I don't think Charles can say anything he wants to say, he just picks the right groups to make fun of.

He did take some heat for his comments about women and sportscasting and he had to apologize for that.

It just depends on who he's making fun of.

Imagine what this Wang dude's going to hear when he plays the Kings and Jason Williams.
    [​IMG]

------------------
    Early man walked away as modern man took control,
    Their minds weren't all the same to conquer was their goal,
    So he built his great empire,
    And he slaughtered his own kind,
    He died a confused man killed himself with his own mind.

[This message has been edited by Band Geek Mobster (edited April 06, 2001).]

6. Valio!

Valio! Member

posted by HOOP-T:

Barkley said, "Somebody needs to tell this kid that every team ain't like the Atlanta
    Hawks. I can't wait for him to face Shaq, Garnett, Tim Duncan. It's nice to have Wang Chung in the league, but the West teams ain't like those Atlanta guys."

Wow..I dont see how that would be offensive to Chinese people..maybe only offensive to people named Wang...I mean, come on...If anything he's taken with the a name which isnt very common. Looks like he just tried to downplay Wang by equating his influence in the league with Wang Chung's influence (which isnt much). Its either that or maybe the name makes him giggle...but Im not sure why that should be offensive to those not named wang...Chinese or not..

So what is the other thing he said??? because this is not worth crying about...

How bout everybody have fun tonight
    how bout everybody wang chung tonight

------------------
    "It's finger ling ling good!" - Homer Simpson's opinion of Kentucky Fried Panda

7. chinese

chinese Member

He pretended to play golf at the beginning of
    The half time show, then Smith reported that Wang was on the Dallas's bench at that moment.
    CB commented, ¡°We should not let him play
    Until China returns 24 US crews.¡± This is nothing wrong on the rule, everyone has his right to say what he wants to say. But after they reviewed a clip that CB blocked
    Wang¡¯s lay up above rim in which he wore the uniform of Dream Team2, it seemed that he had to say something to show
    his power, he said that Wang is weak and he can block shot attempts
    from weak Chinese, or something close. His and Smith¡¯s laughers
    were interrupted by commercials.
    I don¡¯t like his words at all, especially when he is on national TV
    ,in a sports program which may has more viewers than any political
    shows. If he was just joking, I wish he was, I think his words was offensive and improper for his role.

------------------

8. wong

wong Member

CB's comments were not overtly racist and full of hatred, it was obviously a joke. However, that's the kind of crap Asian Americans in general have to put up with throughout their lives. I understand that it is supposed to be a joke, but after hearing "jokes" like that over and over again it gets pretty old. It never bothered me much while I was growing up it was just annoying, but as time has gone on the annoyance has grown into anger. I'm just tired of hearing those type of "jokes" and I don't think it's acceptable for him to say that stuff on television.

------------------

9. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

Charles did the same type of thing to Kenny Smith. Just messing with him. In fact he was joking about the Shaq incident when they showed a clip of him taking O'Neal down. Apparently it was a joke because he complimented Wang at the end of the segment and wished him good luck. The thing about not letting him play until the hostages were released were obviously a joke. Maybe it rubbed people the wrong way, I can see that, but that didn't attack Wang because he is chinese. I hear people all the time say "They're soft in Europe, lets see what they can do in the US!" That's no different then Charles saying that he dominated China, lets see what he can do now. I just think it was blown out of proportion.

------------------
    Meow!

[This message has been edited by RocksMillenium (edited April 06, 2001).]

10. joeforte40

joeforte40 Member

Possibly the reason people don't get offended by these kinds of statements is because they are so commonplace,that desentisization formulates. Just because it is the norm doesn't mean it is justified. It just means that society is corrupted.

By the way, the comments were not that bad, out of place maybe, but no doubt in jest.

------------------

11. gr8-1

It's Wang Zhi Zhi, dip****. I know you're from the south and all, but show a little class.

You're not Chinese ? Coulda fooled me.

I've remebered since I was a kid how Hispanic and Black kids would make fun of my ethnicity. I've heard radio commercials make fun of how Asians speak. Funny, if anyone ever made fun of how African Americans allegedly speak, Jesse Jackson would get of the w**** he was impregnating in a second and "represent." Know what I'm sayin ? Cuz I be cool like that.

Barkley is all show. I am as qualified as he is to do commentary.. He slurs his speech, stutters, and doesn't have a grasp for the English language. But those are the breaks.

Hey Band Geek, I got your chong hangin.

------------------

[This message has been edited by gr8-1 (edited April 07, 2001).]

12. Band Geek Mobster

My apologies go out to Wang Zhi Zhi. I should refer to everyone by their first and last names.

Maybe you misunderstood what I was trying to say. I don't think what Charles said was right at all. When I said that he picks the right groups to make fun of. I meant he's not going to catch much flack for this b/c of the group he's making fun of.

I dont think it's right, but it's true.

[This message has been edited by Band Geek Mobster (edited April 07, 2001).]

13. gr8-1

I can tell you're a good guy. But, just cuz everyone makes fun of Wang, or can't pronounce Wang's name doesn't make it cool or funny to call him "Wang Chong Chong." Spy plane or no spy plane, he seems like a nice guy to me. He seemed very down to earth when he thanked Dallas and said "he would play hard for Dallas." He means you know harm and I doubt he would make fun of your name on purpose. Walk a mile in an Asian man's shoes and then make fun of his name.

As for Charles, he can say whatever he wants about Asians cuz he's black. If you ever see an Asian make fun of a black man's heritage or name on TNT, let me know. It's hip to make fun of Asians, always has been. But, make fun of blacks, and Jesse Jackson will be all over you.

------------------

14. Band Geek Mobster

Okay you misunderstood me. I never called him Chong Chong, I was talking about OTHER people calling him Wang Chong Chong.

------------------
    Early man walked away, as modern man took control,
    Their minds weren't all the same, to conquer was their goal,
    So he built his great empire, and he slaughtered his own kind,
    He died a confused man, killed himself with his own mind.

15. gr8-1

Absolutely my mistake. Sorry.

------------------