1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Disappointing comments from CB.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by chinese, Apr 5, 2001.

Tags:
  1. chinese

chinese Member

During the half time report on TNT,
    Barkley made some negative comments
    on a new comer, Dallas 7'1 center Wang
    from China and related him with one political incident.
    I don't think his comments is more knowledgable than others. I don't think
    that blocking one shot of a 18 years old boy
    a few years ago is a sane reason to call
    chinese weak. And he still calls someone
    else no-brainer during TNT half time report
    tonight.

------------------

2. DaGlide

DaGlide Contributing Member

Wrong Forum. Hehehehehe.

(sorry, I'm usually on the receiving end of that)

------------------
    word to your mother

3. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

You are taking CB's comments way too seriously. Lighten up man.

------------------
    Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things.

4. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

Charles is a Republican....

------------------
    "norm, would you like to buy an indian scalp ? This deal isn't gonna make or break me Norm, so don't jerk me around." Harry Carey "Norm, if I had a mohawk scalp, I wouldn't be sitting here talking to you."

5. Prempeh

Prempeh Member

I don't know...normally I'm all for free speech and I can't stand all the pc bull we always encounter in the US, but I can imagine what Charles said could be pretty offensive. He has a right to say whatever he wants, and being Charles, he does...but in this case he probably should have shown some restraint.

------------------
    P.S. This is what part of the alphabet would look like if Q and R were eliminated.

6. Band Geek Mobster

The question should be posed though...

How can Barkley get away with this kind of talk yet John Rocker gets crucified for what he said?

BTW I think Rocker deserved everything he got.

------------------
    Early man walked away as modern man took control,
    Their minds weren't all the same to conquer was their goal,
    So he built his great empire,
    And he slaughtered his own kind,
    He died a confused man killed himself with his own mind.

7. ChenZhen

ChenZhen Contributing Member

what did Sir Charles say?

------------------

8. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

What exactly did Charles say? And direct quotes would be helpful.

------------------
    Founder and President of the Houston Homers Club(HHC) - Are you a homer? Join now!

The Rockets will be NBA champions. Believe.

9. Band Geek Mobster

I didn't catch the early parts that chinese was referring to.

I just remember him calling Wang Zhi Zhi (i think thats his name) Wang Chong Chong. He was just busting out a bunch of chinese stereotypes.

I do know one thing, if someone called Wang Zhi Zhi, Wang Chong Chong on this bbs, he/she'd get flamed pretty hard.

Sorry no direct quotes. The parts I caught were at the end of the game after the Francis/Williams/Norris interview. At the end he did say he meant no harm and that he liked Chinese people.

My whole reason for posing the question is b/c during the whole John Rocker situation, his supporters would point to Barkley getting away with debatable comments.

This doesn't sound like a Rockets Roster Move topic though, sounds more like a BBS Hangout topic.

Go Rockets! [​IMG]

------------------
    Early man walked away as modern man took control,
    Their minds weren't all the same to conquer was their goal,
    So he built his great empire,
    And he slaughtered his own kind,
    He died a confused man killed himself with his own mind.

[This message has been edited by Band Geek Mobster (edited April 06, 2001).]

10. Prempeh

Prempeh Member

bg mobster--

The reason I think that Barkley is able to get away with that is because usually he means no disrespect--he says things just to be funny, whereas Rocker just laid out exactly how much of a bigot and racist he was. I mean Barkley's said a bunch of crap that other people would get flamed for, but he can because it's good natured...even that one remark he made about hating white people...we all knew it was just a joke.

------------------
    P.S. This is what part of the alphabet would look like if Q and R were eliminated.

11. Nutcracker

Nutcracker Contributing Member

my 2 cents..

im chinese and i wasn't offended
    i thought it was funny
    maybe if it wasnt charles that said it,
    it might be different

------------------

12. PhiSlammaJamma

It's not so much about who said it, what they said, or when they said it. It's about how it was heard. I'm of the thought that if the majority of people were offended then you should admit you messed up and be done with it. If the majority of people thought it was funny then maybe it was exactly that, just funny. It's all about how the audience responds. Comedians are always testing just how far they can go. Sometimes they cross the line.

It's all about perception. It has nothing to do with the person. If you put Rocker's comments into the lap of Seinfeld you probably have a completely different outcome. The comments would be percieved differently.

------------------
    humble, but hungry.

13. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

How about Mark Cuban saying "Yes, we have a Wang, we have a big Wang"? [​IMG]

------------------
    "So you say you want some intelligent responses? I say give me something intelligent to respond to." -- Dimwits beware, B-Ball freak tells it like it is. Sing it bro!

14. SpaceCity

SpaceCity Contributing Member

I heard on the radio the other day that there was a headline in some paper that read:
    "Donnie Nelson in China for Wang"

Now that's funny!

------------------

15. ma-gaga

ma-gaga Member

I agree. I think the way it was reported also makes a HUGE difference. A written article about an unknown relief pitcher, is completely different than one of the most colorful NBA commentators' ripping on someone. John Rocker had his chances of making his situation better, but he failed miserably. Admit, explain, apologize. It's really easy, but Rocker can't figure it out.

PLUS it's Charles Barkley. He's going to tell you all that you ALL SUCK, then is going to flash that smile and all will be forgotten.

------------------

16. Mr.Scary

Mr.Scary Member

I did hear Chuck call him Wang "Chung" ZhiZhi. Like the group. I just think most people know to take Barkley with a grain of salt.

------------------
    "I may be mistaken, but I'm never wrong" -Barkley

17. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

Barkley said, "Somebody needs to tell this kid that every team ain't like the Atlanta Hawks. I can't wait for him to face Shaq, Garnett, Tim Duncan. It's nice to have Wang Chung in the league, but the West teams ain't like those Atlanta guys."

Something close to that anyway. I didn't think it was terribly offensive. I didn't hear any comments related to the spy plane incident that were negative.

------------------
    There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

[This message has been edited by HOOP-T (edited April 06, 2001).]

18. chinese

chinese Member

HOOP-T, During half time report,he said
    something offensive and disappointing,
    I am happy that you didn't hear it.

------------------

19. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

What was it?

------------------
    \../

20. carlit0

carlit0 Member

He was only joking, at the end of the segment, Barkley on a serious note gave praise to the new Chinese Player and it was cool. An this is part of the NBA anyway Wong is just going to have to start to getting use to this too. Sh#t he already has much more respect than many other players in this league. That is a awesome way to start in this league.

------------------
    "Instinctly u recognize things,now take advantage of what u just recognized!".. Hakeem..