1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[chron]Rockets get man in Anderson

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, Aug 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I know there's the fox26 sports post about DA, but I trust the Chronicle more!

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/3319695
    Aug. 22, 2005, 1:21AM

Rockets get man in Anderson
    Dogged pursuit pays off as guard agrees to contract
    By JONATHAN FEIGEN
    Copyright 2005 Houston Chronicle

Eight months after the Rockets thought they had Derek Anderson, they finally do.

Anderson, moved by the Rockets' long pursuit, agreed to a two-year contract, the second year at his option, with the Rockets on Sunday, Anderson's agent Tony Dutt said.

"He's coming here," said Dutt, who is based in Houston. "He's looking forward to the opportunity, a chance to start, to work to earn his minutes."

Anderson, a 6-5 guard, is expected to sign with the Rockets on Tuesday. The Rockets were able to offer him their smaller salary-cap exception, worth $1.67 million the first season, considerably less than many teams had offered. Anderson had narrowed his choice to the Rockets and Lakers.

But the Rockets had been close to landing Anderson in February when Anderson thought the Trail Blazers had agreed to send him to the Rockets for Maurice Taylor.

Loyalty the word
    Anderson, 31, who wears the word "Loyalty" on everything from clothing to jewelry to a tattoo on his back, was swayed by the Rockets' long efforts to bring him to Houston.

"I think it (the Rockets' long-held interest in Anderson) definitely played into it," Dutt said.

Anderson will earn the $18.84 million left on his contract with the Trail Blazers. But because Dutt was able to get Portland to waive the NBA's "set off" provision when releasing a player — the formula used to reduce a team's financial obligation when a player signs with another team — Anderson would have received the full value of the offers he received. That made the difference in the Rockets' offer and other offers more significant.

"It wasn't about the money," Dutt said. "It's about a system that works for him, to get a chance to compete on a high level again and be on a winning team."

2. tinman

Supporting Member

nevermind didn't see that other post at 2am!
    :cool:

3. barryxzz

barryxzz Contributing Member

4. Rol618

Rol618 Contributing Member

I heard about it just now also. Laker got McKie.

5. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

6. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

what is there not to trust?

If you bothered to actually read the thread...you would have seen it mentioned that the news came straight from DA's agents mouth...not just as a mention by Berman...

:p

7. tinman

Supporting Member

I saw Clyde Drexler at Microcenter on Saturday in the checkout line.
    I didnt want to bother him cause he was already checking out. buying some computer stuff.

8. roxgirl

roxgirl Member

You sure he was buying computer stuff there? You sure it wasn't some groceries or something? :p

9. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Some posters here have mentioned Anderson and his thin skin, his perception that other teams have been disloyal to him.

Hell, I didn't know the guy wears the word on everything he owns, let alone a tattoo. Maybe someone here mentioned it and my eyes slid past it but, Jeez.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.